Gillingham and Rainham (UK Parliament constituency)
|Gillingham and Rainham|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Gillingham and Rainham in Kent for the 2010 general election.
Location of Kent within England.
|Electorate||71,109 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Gillingham, Rainham, Hempstead, Twydall|
|Member of Parliament||Rehman Chishti (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The seat has electoral wards:
- Gillingham North, Gillingham South, Hempstead and Wigmore, Rainham Central, Rainham North, Rainham South, Twydall and Watling in Medway, a unitary authority
The constituency is centred on the large town, historically a small port, convenient for access to the City of London, within the London Commuter Belt and adjoining the touristic town of Rochester which has a Cathedral and Castle. Local retail, industry, business parks, trades and professions provide constituents with a high level of employment mostly on moderate to middle incomes, however the area is not wholly resilient to unemployment. Registered claimants who were registered jobseekers were marginally lower than the national average of 3.8%, at 3.5% of the population according to a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Gillingham and Rainham|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Stamp||8,484||18.1||+2.8|
|English Democrats||Dean Lacey||464||1.0||N/A|
|Medway Independent Party||George Meegan||109||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.3|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2001 Census
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament