Affinity Photo version 1.5 on Windows
|Initial release||9 July 2015|
1.6.7 / 1 March 2018(macOS)
|Operating system||macOS, iOS, Microsoft Windows|
|Size||345 MB (macOS), 994 MB (iOS),|
245.81 MB (Windows)
|Available in||9 languages|
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
|License||Proprietary commercial software,|
trialware available at Website
Affinity Photo is a raster graphics editor developed by Serif for macOS, iOS and Windows. It is part of the "Affinity trinity" alongside Affinity Designer and the yet-to-be-released Affinity Publisher. Affinity Photo is available for purchase in the Mac App Store, iOS App Store, and the Microsoft Store.
Affinity Photo functions include processing RAW image format files, colour space options, live previews as effects are applied, as well as Image stitching, alpha compositing, black point compensation, and optical aberration corrections.
Working in Affinity Photo is always live, with pan and zoom at 60fps, live previews and non-destructive editing. It supports unlimited layers and a dedicated RAW editing workspace, as well as RGB, CMYK, LAB, Greyscale colour space with end-to-end CMYK workflow with ICC colour management, and 16-bit per channel editing.
A free trial of Affinity Photo is available from the Affinity website. Desktop versions are available to buy directly or from the Mac App Store, the iPad version from the iOS App Store. The Windows version is available from the Microsoft Store.
Affinity Photo began as a raster graphics editor solely for macOS. It was Serif's second macOS app, and (like Affinity Designer) was built from the ground up for this operating system to leverage core native technologies, including Grand Central Dispatch, Core Graphics, OpenGL and Metal 2 hardware acceleration.
Serif established an R&D team for Affinity Photo in 2009, headed by lead designer Andy Somerfield. A free beta test version of the Affinity Photo app was released to the public on 9 February 2015.
The initial stable release of Affinity Photo, version 1.3.1, launched on the Mac App Store 9 July 2015 for macOS 10.7 and later. At that time, Serif's raster graphics application for Windows was PhotoPlus; however, following the release of Affinity Photo for Windows, this product has now been discontinued. Version 1.3.5 of Affinity Photo, released in August, provided numerous bug fixes and improvements.
Serif announced its first major update to Affinity Photo in December 2015. Version 1.4 added panorama photo stitching as well as support for macOS 10.11 El Capitan, including six Affinity extensions for Apple Photos. Updates to both Affinity apps (Designer and Photo) provided language support for Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Japanese and Chinese (Simplified). These augumented the four languages in previous versions: English (US and UK), German, French and Spanish. Stability and bug fixes were released with Affinity Photo 1.4.1 and 1.4.2, in January and June 2016. Version 1.4.3 in September 2016 optimised Affinity Photo for macOS 10.12 Sierra.
In December, 2016, Serif launched Affinity Photo for Windows, and released an update to the macOS version at the same time, Affinity Photo 1.5.1 added a 32-bit RGB editing mode with support for 32-bit file formats and more than 70 new camera RAW file formats, as well as the ability to develop RAW files directly into a 32-bit document. Version 1.5.1 also added support for the new MacBook Pro with Touchbar.
Serif released major updates to Affinity Photo, as well as Affinity Designer, in November 2017. Affinity Photo 1.6.6 was optimized for macOS 10.13 High Sierra (and Metal 2 acceleration), better integration with Apple Photos, improved Photoshop Plugins support and added an option to switch between a dark or light user interface.
- "Affinity Photo Full Feature List". Affinity.serif.com. Retrieved 2015-08-28.
- Lane, Terry (19 August 2015). "Affinity emerges as Photoshop alternative but only for Macs". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
What makes Affinity Photo unique among low-priced Photoshop alternatives is that it is not a dumbed down application with automated functions and restricted editing abilities.
- Benjamin, Jeff (23 June 2017). "Friday 5: Affinity Photo – a must-have photo editing app for iPad Pro owners". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
This truly is a desktop-class photo editing app that also happens to run on iOS with full Apple Pencil support.
- Carlson, Jeff (13 November 2017). "Affinity Photo for iPad Review". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Hillen, Brittany (9 December 2016). "Affinity Photo for Windows now available, Mac version updated to 1.5". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Ellis, Cat (14 December 2016). "Serif Affinity Photo comes to Windows". TechRadar. Future Publishing. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
Serif is gradually expanding its reach beyond macOS, making its whole Affinity creative suite available to Windows users.
- Ellis, Cat (November 22, 2016). "Serif Affinity Designer arrives on Windows". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- Zhang, Michael (9 February 2015). "Affinity Photo is a New Pro Photoshop Alternative for Mac Users: Get It for Free". PetaPixel. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- Hillen, Brittany (10 February 2015). "Serif launches Affinity Photo, a Photoshop alternative for Mac". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Banks, Adam (5 September 2015). "Photoshop for 40 quid: Affinity Photo pushes pixels further than most". The Register. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
…I’ve been tweaking pics and reviewing image editing apps for two decades, and this is the first one I can remember that I might actually want to use.
- Dyer, Alan (15 December 2017). "I Tested 10+ Photoshop Alternatives to See How They Stack Up". PetaPixel. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
Affinity Photo… …lacks any library or cataloguing function, so this is not a Lightroom replacement, but it could replace Photoshop.
- Thorp-Lancaster, Dan (5 December 2017). "Affinity Photo and Designer now available in the Microsoft Store". Windows Central. Mobile Nations. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- Clover, Juli (9 July 2015). "Serif's Image Editing App 'Affinity Photo' Launches for Mac". MacRumors. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Demolder, Damien (3 November 2017). "Affinity Photo 1.6 released: faster processing, new features, and free stuff". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Burgett, Gannon (2 November 2017). "Serif boosts its Photoshop competitor, Affinity Photo, with new update". Digital Trends. Designtechnica. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
…Serif has integrated new support for Apple’s Metal 2 technology, meaning Affinity Photo can use hardware acceleration to process images and edits faster and smoother.
- Schneider, Jaron (2 July 2015). "The Finished Version of Affinity Photo is Coming & Yes, You Should Be Excited for this Photoshop Competitor". Resource. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "Digital Craft: Serif discontinues its Pageplus, Drawplus and Photoplus designing software to focus on its(Serif) new Affinity range of Professional graphic design software - ANINO". ANINO. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Affinity Photo". macbed.com. AppKed. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Lawton, Rod (9 December 2015). "Serif's Adobe Photoshop rival Affinity Photo gets a major update". TechRadar. Future Publishing. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Rogers, Graham K. (10 August 2016). "A visit to Affinity apps developers". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Schneider, Jaron (8 December 2016). "Affinity Photo 1.5 Launches with Overhauled RAW Processor, Touch Bar Support, 32-Bit Editing & More". Resource. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Benjamin, Jeff (2 November 2017). "Affinity Designer and Photo for Mac receive big 1.6 update including free limited-time content bundles". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 14 December 2017.
- "Affinity Photo is App of the Year!". Affinity Blog. Serif (Europe) Ltd. 9 December 2015. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Warren, Tom (10 November 2016). "Apple's 'best Mac App' of 2015 is now available on Windows". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- "XXVI TIPA AWARDS (2016)". TIPA.com. Technical Image Press Association. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- Zipper, Bernd (9 November 2016). "Serif: are Affinity products set to challenge the dominance of top dog Adobe in the print industry?". beyond-print.de. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Cade, D.L. (8 December 2017). "Affinity Photo named Best iPad App of 2017, celebrates with 50% off sale". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Watson, Fay (8 December 2017). "Affinity Photo: 'Apple's best iPad app of 2017' is half price". Amateur Photographer. Time Inc. (UK) Ltd. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- "Best Tech Value Awards: Top Bargains of 2017". Tom's Guide. Purch. 1 November 2017. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Grotta, Sally Wiener (16 March 2017). "Affinity Photo 1.5 Review: Best Budget Editor for Pros". Tom's Guide. Purch. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
…Serif has purposely avoided including any Photoshop-like tools that aren’t directly related to photography.
- "AP Awards 2019: Accessories of the Year". Amateur Photographer. 2019-02-24. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Cheung, Will (2019-03-12). "Photography News Awards 2018 winners announced". Photography News. Retrieved 2019-03-13.