The Apple ecosystem is a term used to describe Apple Inc.'s digital ecosystem of products, including the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod etc. It is often praised for its seamless integration and optimization between various networks of devices, software and services, and is largely emphasized by Apple's focus on privacy. It is also known for its ability to lock users into the network where it is difficult to escape.
Apple's various networks and platforms of interactive hardware and devices are described as an ecosystem due to how seamlessly they simultaneously function together with and take advantage of each other. Apple products often come with extra features when paired with other Apple products, as opposed to alternatives. Privacy is also considered a major perk of the ecosystem, as Apple markets its products with high standards of privacy, sometimes using it as a selling point over competitors.
Apple's ecosystem is often described as a walled garden. While peripherals such as AirPods, HomePods and AirTags integrate complementarily into the ecosystem, with products such as the iPhone, it does not function as well or with as many features with competitive devices such as Android smartphones. Also, it is not easy to switch from the ecosystem once users have immersed themselves into it, as it is designed to keep users from leaving.
- "The Apple Ecosystem". AppleMagazine. 2018-03-14. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Ricker, Thomas (2016-09-07). "Apple's greatest innovation is its ecosystem". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- "Apple's new privacy features may finally trigger a more transparent tech ecosystem". CityAM. 2021-03-06. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- ""It's the ecosystem, stupid"*". The Mac Security Blog. 2019-01-11. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Alvarez, Paul (2019-10-30). "The Apple Ecosystem Trap". Medium. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Patel, Nilay (2018-02-06). "Apple HomePod review: locked in". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- "I don't want to switch from Android to iPhone because Apple's ecosystem is too good". Business Insider. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- "Why the Apple Ecosystem is So Damn Good". Applesutra. 2020-03-07. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- "HomePod review: If you're deep into the Apple ecosystem, this is the smart speaker for you". financialpost. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Why Apple Takes Privacy Seriously, retrieved 2021-05-05
- Gartenberg, Chaim (2021-04-27). "Why Apple's new privacy feature is such a big deal". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Samantha Murphy Kelly. "Apple's major privacy change is here. What you need to know". CNN. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Brookes, Tim. "How Apple's AirTags Prevent Stalkers from Tracking You". How-To Geek. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- "Apple's app store goes on trial in threat to 'walled garden'". NBC News. Retrieved 2021-05-05.
- Sherr, Ian. "Apple's 'walled garden' walls will get even higher with iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and MacOS Big Sur". CNET. Retrieved 2021-05-05.