Daniel J. Riccio
|Alma mater||University of Massachusetts Amherst (B.A.) |
|Occupation||Unnamed role focusing on a new project at Apple|
Dan Riccio was Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering, reporting to CEO Tim Cook. Riccio lead the Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, HomePod, AirPods, and Apple Watch engineering teams, which have produced numerous products. He was succeeded by John Ternus on January 25, 2021. He is now in an unnamed role focusing on a new project at Apple.
He joined Apple in 1998 as vice president of product design and in 2010 was named vice president of iPad hardware engineering. Since joining Apple, Riccio has been a key contributor to most of the company's hardware, including all iPad products.
Riccio officially announced the cancellation of AirPower in 2019. On January 26, 2021, Apple announced that Riccio would transition to a new role focusing on a new project and reporting to CEO Tim Cook.
In response to the complaints of the 2018 iPad Pro bending, Riccio emailed a customer that the iPad Pro's
“unibody design meets or exceeds all of Apple's high quality standards of design and precision manufacturing."
In addition he also wrote that
"We've carefully engineered it and every part of the manufacturing process is precisely measured and controlled"
"Our current specification for iPad Pro flatness is up to 400 microns which is even tighter than previous generations," wrote Riccio. "This 400 micron variance is less than half a millimeter (or the width of fewer than four sheets of paper at most) and this level of flatness won't change during normal use over the lifetime of the product."
On January 25, 2021, he was succeeded by John Ternus as SVP of hardware engineering, and has transitioned to an unnamed role at Apple working on a new project, rumored to be an augmented reality and virtual reality headset.
- "Apple Leadership - Dan Riccio - Senior Vice President, Hardware Engineering". Apple Inc. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Craig Federighi, Apple's Vice President of Mac Software Engineering & Dan Riccio, Apple's Vice President of Hardware Engineering Join Apple's Executive Team as Senior Vice Presidents". Apple Press Release. 27 Aug 2012. Retrieved 28 Aug 2012.
- "Apple Newsroom citation". Apple Newsroom. Apple.
- Smith, Dave (29 June 2012). "Who Is Dan Riccio? Apple Transitions Hardware Leadership Role From Bob Mansfield". International Business Times.
- "Apple cancels AirPower product, citing inability to meet its high standards for hardware". TechCrunch. 29 March 2019.
- "Dan Riccio begins a new chapter at Apple". Apple Newsroom. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "Newsroom Dan Riccio". Apple Newsroom. Apple.
- Gurman, Mark. "Bloomberg rumor". Bloomberg. Bloomberg.