V. K. Saraswat
|Vijay Kumar Saraswat|
|Native name||विजय कुमार सारस्वत|
|Education||B.E from Madhav Institute of Technology and Science, Gwalior
M.E from IISC, Bangalore
PhD from Osmania University, Hyderabad.
|Occupation||Director-general of DRDO|
|Years active||1972 – present|
|Notable credit(s)||Prithvi Missile|
|Awards||Padma Shri in 1998|
Vijay Kumar Saraswat is an Indian scientist who formerly served as the Director General of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Chief Scientific Advisor to the Indian Minister of Defence. He retired on 31 May 2013. and presently Member of NITI Aayog i.e. Planning Commission of India 
Born in 1949 in a Marwari Brahmin family at Danaoli Locality in Gwalior (M.P.), Dr. Saraswat completed his Bachelors in Engineering from Madhav Institute of Technology & Science, Gwalior, MTech from Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and obtained a Doctorate in Propulsion Engineering from Osmania University
Dr Saraswat is fellow of National Academy of Engineering, Aeronautical Society of India, Astronautical Society of India, and Institution of Engineers. He is a member of governing council of SAMEER and member of Board of Research of AICTE, CSIR labs, and board of studies of Osmania University. He is Chairman, Combustion Institute (Indian Section), and Aeronautical Society of India (Hyderabad Branch). Dr. Saraswat is a forerunner in the development of number of critical missile technologies that were under denial due to the Missile Technology Control Regime, thus making India self-reliant in Missile Technologies. He has headed various committees of national importance.
Dr Saraswat is the recipient of DRDO Scientist of the Year Award - 1987, National Aeronautical Prize - 1993, DRDO Technology Transfer Award - 1996 and Performance Excellence Award - 1999. For his outstanding contributions to the Nation, he has been conferred with Padma Shri in 1998.He was also conferred with Padma Bhusan by the Govt. of India in 2013. In January 2010 & December 2012 he was awarded with honorary doctorate from Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology Surat,SRM University chennai and Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad respectively.
Issues and Controversies
After internal audit reports and CAG raising red flags over many of V. K. Saraswat's decisions, the Ministry of Defence decided to impose severe restrictions on his financial powers. Government of India in 2013 turned down his extension as DRDO's Chief.
- "Dr VK Saraswat". AeSI. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Ganesh (28 August 2009). "Dr VK Saraswat to take over as DG of DRDO and SA to Defence Minister". machinist.in. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "Saraswat retires as DRDO chief". Deccan Herald. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- http://niti.gov.in/team-niti/shri-vk-saraswat. Missing or empty
- "Padma Shri Awardees". india.gov.in. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "The secret world of DRDO". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Ministry of Defence restricts DRDO chief's fiscal powers". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Govt not to extend DRDO chief's tenure". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 September 2014.