Front cover of the Spring 2012 edition of
|Editor||Gardner, Peter B.|
1945, as the Brigham Young Alumnus|
2001, as BYU Magazine
Brigham Young University|
Printed by Arandell Corporation
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
|Based in||Provo, Utah|
The first alumni publication for BYU was the Alumni Announcer, which began publication in 1923. It was quickly replaced by another short-lived work in 1925, the Y Alumnus, which only survived until 1927. Nearly two decades later, in 1945, a new publication surfaced and was named the Brigham Young Alumnus. The new magazine achieved a circulation of 13,000 within its first year and, unlike is predecessors, continued being produced for many years.
By 1968 the Brigham Young Alumnus was replaced by a tabloid newspaper named BYU Today.[Note 1] Following the tradition established by its immediate predecessor, BYU Today continued publication for well over two decades before becoming the Brigham Young Magazine in 1993. Immediately subsequent this name change, distribution of the magazine exceeded 130,000. In addition to a change in name, the magazine reduced it production frequency to the current quarterly schedule and also discontinued running advertisements for non-campus organizations.[Note 2] By 1997 the BYU Alumni began as another BYU alumni magazine, but in Spring 2001, the two publications were merged and became the current BYU Magazine.
- The tabloid newspaper BYU Today (1968-1993) should not be confused with the current BYU Today, which also began being produced in 2001 and is an email newsletter sent twice monthly to friend and alumni of Brigham Young University.
- The move in 1993 to discontinue advertisement from non-campus organization was partially due to the "increasingly stringent IRS and U.S. Postal requirements" for non-profit organizations.
- "Magazine Staff". magazine.byu.edu. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University. Retrieved 21 Nov 2016.
- McClellan, Jeffrey S. "Welcome to BYU Magazine". BYU Magazine (Spring 2001 ed.). Provo, Utah]]: Brigham Young University. Retrieved 22 Nov 2016.
- "Brigham Young University Alumni Magazine". lib.byu.edu. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University. 23 Oct 2015.
- "Alumni & Post-Grads". niche.com. Niche.com, Inc. Archived from the original on 2016-08-11. Retrieved 11 Aug 2016 – via web.archive.org.
- "Past issues". magazine.byu.edu. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University. Retrieved 21 Nov 2016.
- "BYU Today: Your Alumni Connection". today.byu.edu. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University. Retrieved 22 Nov 2016.
- "Y. Makes Changes in Alumni Magazine". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. 2 Mar 1993. Retrieved 22 Nov 2016.
- McClellan, Jeffrey S. "Welcome to BYU Magazine". BYU Magazine (Spring 2001 ed.). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University. Retrieved 22 Nov 2016.
|This alumni magazine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.