|Directed by||Ayan Mukerji|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
Brahmastra stylised as Brahmāstra (Hindi pronunciation: [bɾəʱmaːst̪ɾ]) is an upcoming 2020 Indian Hindi-language superhero film written and directed by Ayan Mukerji, and produced by Karan Johar. It stars Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Mouni Roy and Akkineni Nagarjuna in pivotal roles and will serve as the first film in a planned trilogy.
Principal photography began in Bulgaria in February 2018 and the film is scheduled for release in summer 2020 in standard formats, 3D, and IMAX.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Brahma
- Ranbir Kapoor as Shiva
- Alia Bhatt as Isha
- Mouni Roy as Poulomi
- Akkineni Nagarjuna as Archaeologist Vishnu
- Dimple Kapadia
- Prateik Babbar
- Vishal Karwal
- Saurav Gurjar
- Rashi Mal as Raveena
- Shah Rukh Khan in a special appearance
Producer Karan Johar announced the film via Twitter on 11 October 2017 revealing that it would be made into a film trilogy.  The preparation for the film started in January 2018. In an interview, Kapoor revealed that Mukerji "has spent six years of his life working really hard to make an original story" and that the trilogy would be made over a period of 10 years and refuted rumours suggesting that it is a romantic superhero film. Instead Kapoor confirmed that the film is a "romantic-fairytale in a supernatural format." and that the film is not something which "doesn't have truth to it, or which is unbelievable". Initially the film's title was rumoured to be Dragon but was later confirmed as Brahmastra. Director Ayan Mukerji explained that the title 'Brahmastra' "resonates with the “ancient wisdom, energies and power,”. Mukerji also revealed that it is a "contemporary film with ancient elements."
Director Ayan Mukherjee revealed that the inspiration behind Actor Ranbir Kapoor's character came from Rumi who also inspired the first look of his character. Mukherji also drew inspiration from Rumi's work: "love is the bridge between you and everything" to build the foundation of the movie. Later, Mukherji revealed that the Rumi-inspired look was scrapped and Kapoor had gotten a haircut instead.
Bachchan revealed his experience with look tests for the film expressing that it is a "tedious job, sticking removing applying de applying and applying again, until some decision is reached"
The principal photography began in February 2018 with the commencement of the first schedule of the film on 24 February 2018. The first schedule of the movie was wrapped up in Bulgaria on 24 March 2018. The second schedule of filming continued in Bulgaria and then London on 8 July 2018., in London, New York and then in Bulgaria. Extensive shooting started in 1 February 2019 at Edinburgh, Scotland. The final 20 day schedule started in the Ramnagar Fort and Chet Singh Fort in Varanasi on 30 July 2019. 
The music of the film will be composed by Pritam while the lyrics will be penned by Amitabh Bhattacharya. British Producer, Steez Banglez has also been approached to collaborate with Pritam as the soundrack requires "futuristic music [which] is still in the works".
Marketing and release
The title logo of the film was revealed on 4 March 2019. In the evening of the same day logo of the film Brahmāstra was launched on Maha Shivratri at Kumbh Mela. In first of its kind 150 drones were used to lit the sky up to form the logo. A video of launch of logo at Kumbh Mela 2019 was released by Fox Star Hindi on 5 March 2019, a new promotional initiative in Bollywood. The official logo of Brahmāstra was released on 6 March 2019. Baahubali director SS Rajamouli and Tamil actor Dhanush launch the logos of the movie in Telugu and Tamil.
The trilogy film was officially announced in April 2018 with a planned release date of Christmas 2019 for part 1 but later pushed to Summer 2020.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (27 April 2019). "#Brahmastra to release in Summer 2020... Ayan Mukerji's statement:" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt's 'Brahmastra' to be costliest superhero flick in Bollywood with a budget of over Rs 150 crore". Times of India. Retrieved 2 February 2019.
- "Karan Johar announces his upcoming film trilogy with Amitabh Bachchan, Akkineni Nagarjuna, Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Kapoor". Times of India. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "After first glimpse of Brahmastra, Ayan Mukerji reveals on-screen names of Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor". Times Now News. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Brahmastra likely to be released in 2020: Ranbir Kapoor's film delayed due to this reason". NewsX. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- "Prateik Babbar: I don't take opportunities for granted - Times of India". The Times of India. 22 May 2019. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- Abraham, Letty Mariam (23 April 2019). "Rashi Mal on A I SHA It is the only Indian show based on artificial intelligence". Mid Day. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Shah Rukh Khan to have a special role in Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt's 'Brahmastra'? - Times of India". The Times of India. 28 August 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Brahmastra: Karan Johar announces fantasy adventure trilogy with Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and Amitabh Bachchan". Indian Express. 11 October 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- V, Aishwarya (1 December 2017). "Brahmastra: Karan Johar announces trilogy with Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor, Akkineni Nagarjuna and Alia Bhatt". pinkvilla.com. PINKVILLA. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Karan Johar announces commencement of Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt starrer 'Brahmastra'". Times of India. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- Dedhia, Sonil (21 June 2018). "Ranbir Kapoor reveals what to expect from Ayan Mukerji's Brahmastra trilogy". mid-day.com. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Ranbir Kapoor: 'Brahmastra' is a romantic-fairytale in a supernatural format". newindianexpress.com. 26 June 2018. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Chauhan, Soumyata (9 June 2018). "Alia Bhatt accidentally leaks her look from 'Brahmastra' - Check out pics". dnaindia.com. DNA India. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Sharma, Priyanka (14 October 2017). "Ayan Mukerji on Brahmastra: It's a contemporary film with ancient elements". indianexpress.com. Indian Express. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Nagarjuna confirms doing Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor's Brahmastra, says 'it's impressive'". timesnownews.com. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Brahmastra: Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor kickstarts Varanasi schedule, see first picture". newsx.com. NewsXBureau. 31 May 2019. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Ranbir Kapoor-Alia Bhatt prep up for Brahmastra with Amitabh Bachchan". indianexpress.com. Indian Express. 6 June 2018. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Shiksha, Shruti (25 March 2018). "Brahmastra: Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor Wrap Up First Schedule Of Film. See Pic". ndtv.com. NDTV. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "For Alia Bhatt, Brahmastra schedule in Bulgaria is not all work and no play. Here's how we know". timesnownews.com. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Agarwal, Bhavna (23 July 2018). "Brahmastra co-stars Amitabh Bachchan and Ranbir Kapoor take a stroll in NYC clicking selfies". pinkvilla.com. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Brahmastra actress Alia Bhatt has got new special photographer at Bulgaria, see pics". catchnews.com. 26 July 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Brahmastra: Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor kickstarts Varanasi schedule, see first picture". newsx.com. NewsXBureau. 31 May 2019. Retrieved 30 July 2019.
- Pritam (14 January 2019). "My smile says it all, so overwhelmed as this is my first one with Mr. @SrBachchan sir and back with my favorite RanbirKapoor".
- "Alia Bhatt starrer Brahmastra to get a futuristic touch to music by Steel Banglez". pinkvilla.com. PINKVILLA. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Brahmastra: Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt leave for Kumbh, the film's first reveal out on Mahashivratri". Hindustan Times. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (4 March 2019). "#Brahmāstra launches its logo on #Mahashivratri at #KumbhMela... In a first of its kind, a swarm of drones lit up the sky to form the #Brahmāstra logo... Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and director Ayan Mukerji were present at the launch. t.co/wCtkgntUn5" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Brahmastra: Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, 150 drones reveal first logo of Ayan Mukerji's ambitious film at Kumbh 2019". Hindustan Times. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Brahmāstra - Logo Launch at Kumbh 2019 - Ranbir Kapoor- Alia Bhatt- Ayan Mukerji - Christmas 2019". FoxStarHindi on YouTube.
- "Brahmāstra - Official Movie Logo - Amitabh - Ranbir - Alia - Ayan Mukerji - Christmas 2019". FoxStarHindi on YouTube.
- "'Chills all the way' Fans get goosebumps watching Alia Bhatt Ranbir Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan's Brahmastra logo". Times Now News. 6 March 2019.
- "Brahmastra: Baahubali director SS Rajamouli and South star Dhanush launched the logos of Ranbir Kapoor, Alia Bhatt starrer in Telugu and Tamil". Bollywood Hungama. 12 March 2019. Retrieved 12 March 2019.