Church of Notre-Dame in Chatou
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||CA Saint Germain Boucles Seine|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Ghislain Fournier|
|Area1||5.08 km2 (1.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,000/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||78146 /78400|
|Elevation||22–58 m (72–190 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Chatou is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. Chatou is a part of the affluent suburbs of western Paris and is on the northwest side of the Seine river about 14 km (9 mi) from the city's center.
On May 31, 1875, part of the territory of Chatou was detached and merged with a part of the territory of Le Pecq and a part of the territory of Croissy-sur-Seine to create the commune of Le Vésinet. It boasts many bourgeois mansions of every kind of architecture and owned by private individuals.
Chatou is also the host of the Maison Fournaise, a meeting place for Impressionist painters in the past. It was a place where Pierre-Auguste Renoir painted numerous pieces (portraits of the Fournaise family, surrounding landscapes etc.), most notably the Déjeuner des canotiers (Luncheon of the Boating Party) in 1881. The painting is today part of the Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C.
The community has eight public preschools, five public elementary schools, and two public junior high schools. Schools include:
Junior high schools:
- Collège Paul Bert
- Collège Auguste Renoir
There are also the following private schools:
- École Jeanne d'Arc / Notre-Dame (preschool and primary school)
- École Perceval (preschool through senior high school)
Parks and recreation
- Parc des Impressionnistes
- Parc Auguste Renoir
- Parc de l’Europe
- Jardin du Sentier de la Côte
- Square Emile Pathé
- Square Réalier-Dumas
- Hameau Fournaise, Île des Impressionnistes
- Staff (July 2, 2016). "Actulites Associatives: La Vie Du Patrimoine Et De L'Histoire (in French)". Association Chatou Notre Ville. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Établissements publics / Carte scolaire ." Chatou. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Établissements privés." Chatou. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
- "Parcs, jardins, squares, hameau Fournaise... ." Chatou. Retrieved on September 2, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chatou.|
- Official website (in French)
|This Yvelines geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|