Dow University of Health Sciences
Motto in English
|Prevention Is Better than Cure..|
|Chancellor||Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan Governor of Sindh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Masood Hameed|
|Registrar||Shaikh Nadeem Ahmad|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, Carrot orange, White|
The Dow University of Health Sciences (initials: DUHS), is one of the oldest public research university located in urban metropolitan area of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The university comprises two leading health sciences undergraduate research institutes: Dow International Medical College and Dow Medical College . University also has a very strong department of Postgraduate studies which monitors various basic medical sciences and clinical sciences programs at DUHS.
Established in 1945, it is known for its strong emphasis on biomedical, health, and medical research programmes. It is one of the premium institution of higher learning in Pakistan, and ranked among one of the top medical schools by HEC in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The university is named after its founder, Sir Hugh Dow, who laid the foundation of the institution in 1945. The institution offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral programmes in almost all academic disciplines relating to medical sciences.
Dow University of Health Sciences has introduced teaching and learning methodology which facilitates students to become skilled lifelong learners. Dow University of Health Sciences strives for its students to develop better communication skills to communicate with their patients and prepare its students for a meritorious professional career.
Major initiatives were personally taken by Ishrat-ul-Ibad (the Governor of Sindh) for the establishment of the Dow University of Health Sciences. He is a Dow Graduate. He was elected as member of the provincial assembly in 1990. And later on became Minister of Housing, Town planning, Environment and Public Health Engineering at a young age, due to his dynamic personality. He was appointed as Governor of Sindh in 2002 and eversince is striving to upgrade the facilities of medical education and health care in Sindh 
MBBS program at two institutes i-e Dow International Medical College and Dow Medical College. BDS program at three institutes i-e Dental section of Dow International Medical College, Dow Dental College and Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan institute of oral health sciences. Pharm-D (5 Year Duration) at Dow College of Pharmacy Dow Institute of Medical Technology offers four-year Bachelor's programs in four disciplines: Clinical Pathology Technology, Surgical Technology, Respiratory and Critical Care Technology and Ophthalmology. Institute of Nursing which offers BScN and MScN degree programs. Department of Postgraduate Studies Monitors Masters and doctoral degree in various programs of Basic Health Sciences division and Clinical Health Sciences division i-e Fellowship Training (FCPS -II) in all major specialities, M.Phil, Leading to PhD, PhD in Basic & Clinical Sciences, MBA (In three Disciplines), Masters in Diabetes & Endocrinology, Masters in Dental Surgery, Masters in Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Masters in Health Profession Education, Masters in Physiotheraphy, Masters in Nursing, Masters in Jurisprudence, Masters in Aviation Medicine, MS and MD programs.
The Journal of the Dow University of Health Science  is published 4 monthly by Dow University of Health Sciences. It is recognised by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council and indexed in IMEMR, Pakmedinet and Global Health. It is also available as an online medical journal created and maintained by the university, consisting of contributions from students, faculties, and those abroad.
El Mednifico Journal (EISSN 2307-7301) is an open access, quarterly, peer-reviewed, international medical journal initiated by the trio of Asfandyar Sheikh, Syed Salman Ahmed and Sajid Ali from M.B.B.S Batch of 2014 (http://www.mednifico.com) . The journal serves as a healthy platform for students,undergraduates and health professionals whose articles are considered on the basis of content and not on the basis of topic or scope.
The Journal of Pakistan Medical Students  is a peer-reviewed, international journal from the students of Dow Medical College. It was started by Anis Rehman and Haris Riaz, from Batch of 2011.
Social service activities
Patients' Welfare Association, also known as PWA, is one of the largest and oldest student run volunteer NGO of Pakistan. Students of Dow Medical College have been managing it since 1979. The organization is a blessing for the poor patients coming to Civil Hospital Karachi, helping them through its Blood Bank, Drug Bank, Thalassemia Services, General and Tuberculosis Follow Up Clinics.
Affiliated colleges and institutions
- Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital, Karachi.
- Dow International Medical College and Dow University Hospital,Karachi.
- Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Medical College
- Dow International Dental College (DIDC)
- Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases (OICD)
- Dr. Ishrat-Ul-Ebad Khan Institute of Oral Health Sciences (DIKIOHS)
- Dow College of Pharmacy
- Dow Institute of Nursing (ION)
- Dow Radiology Department
- Dow Institute of Health Management (IHM)
- Dow Institute of Medical Technology
- Dow Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dow Institute of Pharmaceutical and Environmental Research (IPER)
- Dow National Institute of Liver and GI diseases
- Dow National Institute of Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dow Vocational Training Center (DVTC)
- Dow Diagnostic Research and Reference Laboratory
- Dow University Artificial Limb Center
- Dow Institute of Basic Medical Sciences (IBMS)
- Dow Executive Clinic
- School of Public Health
- Pakistan College of General Practitioners
- Clinical Trials Unit (CTU)
- Sarwar Zuberi Liver center
- Office of the Registrar. "Office of the Registrar" (PDF). Registrar office of Dow University. Registrar office of Dow University. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Google. "Address of the Dow University of Health Sciences". Google maps, inc. Google maps, inc. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Programmes at DUHS. "Programmes at DUHS". Admissions. Admissions. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- HEC Rankings. "HEC Rankings". HEC Rankings. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "History of DUHS". History of DUHS. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- DOW INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY (IMT)