|Società per azioni|
|Traded as||BIT: ENI, NYSE: E|
|Industry||Oil and gas|
|Founded||February 10, 1953|
|Emma Marcegaglia (Chairman)
Claudio Descalzi (CEO)
|Revenue||€131.82 billion (2014)|
|€18.064 billion (2012)|
|€7.788 billion (2012)|
|Total assets||€139.641 billion (2012)|
|Total equity||€62.713 billion (2012)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Agenzia Giornalistica Italia
Eni Gas & Power
Eni S.p.A. is an Italian multinational oil and gas company headquartered in Rome. It has operations in 79 countries, and is currently world's 11th largest industrial company with a market capitalization of 68 billion euros (US$ 90 billion), as of August 14, 2013. The Italian government owns a 30.303% golden share in the company, 3.934% held through the state Treasury and 26.369% held through the Cassa Depositi e Prestiti. Another 2.012% of the shares are held by People's Bank of China. The company is a component of the Euro Stoxx 50 stock market index.
The name "ENI" was initially the acronym of "Ente Nazionale Idrocarburi" (national hydrocarbons authority). Through the years after its foundation however, it operated in a large number of fields including contracting, nuclear power, energy, mining, chemicals and plastics, refining/extraction and distribution machinery, hospitality industry and even textile industry and news.
- 1 History
- 2 Operations
- 3 Subsidiaries
- 4 Peers
- 5 Controversies
- 6 Sustainability
- 7 Motorsports
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 Bibliography
- 11 External links
Eni was founded and established by law in 1953 from an existing company, Agip, created in 1926 with the aim to explore for oilfields, acquire and commercialize oil and derivatives. On March 1953 Enrico Mattei was nominated Eni’s Chairman.
Starting 1954 Eni holds extensive exploration rights in North Africa, signing an agreement with the Egyptian government led by Nasser while providing an active and equal role for the crude producing countries through the establishment of joint ventures.
In October 1973 after the Yom Kippur War and the embargo against the United States and the Netherlands agreed by OPEC members Arab countries, a serious oil crisis occurred, pushing Eni in need to consolidate its position in the international market by signing an agreement with Sonatrach, the Algerian state oil entity for natural gas supply.
In 1974 Eni signed an agreement with Libyan government, followed by further agreements with Egypt, Nigeria and Tunisia, while developing two new major oil discoveries in the British North Sea got on 1972.
During the middle 70’s Eni planned a major infrastructure for transporting natural gas over long distances by building a pipeline network of thousands of miles throughout Europe and the Mediterranean.
After the inauguration of the Trans-Mediterranean Pipeline connecting Algeria to Sicily through Tunisia, Eni signs a new agreement with Libya for the exploitation of Boùri, the biggest oilfield in the centre of the Mediterranean, and develops its international role within the oil industry.
As the price of oil collapsed in 1998 as other major companies Eni got to turn into a race through merges, international acquisitions, new explorations and the foundation of real super-companies.
2000 to present
Activist asset manager Knight Vinke, who owns 1% of the outstanding shares of the company, begun pressuring Eni's management to operate a spin-off of Eni's gas activities. In its opinion this would solve the undervaluation of the company and release up to 50 billion euros ($70bn) of hidden value.
After getting a licence in 2006 for the exploration of an offshore area in the north of Mozambique, known as Area 4, Eni announced several major natural gas discoveries between 2011 and 2012 such as Mamba South, Mamba North, Mamba North East, Coral 1.
In February 2014, ENI discovered oil at its DRC offshore block.
Since 2012 Eni has been selling off refining and marketing assets it owned in eastern Europe in order to increase profitability. By 2013 Eni already reduced its refining capacity by 13 percent. In May 2014 Eni agreed to sell their 32.5% share in Ceska Rafinerska AS (CRC), a refining company in Czech Republic, to MOL Group of Hungary.
In January 2015, Eni in collaboration with Vitol Energy signed a $7 billion contract with the government of Ghana. This agreement was reached in order to produce oil and gas at Cape Three Points in the Western Region of Ghana, in an attempt to enable Ghana meet its power and energy needs.
In August 2015 Eni announced the discovery of a huge gasfield off the coast of Egypt.
Exploration & production
As exploration and reserve replacement being major drivers for the company, Eni boosts for production additions in its core oil field areas (North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Venezuela, Barents Sea, Yamal Peninsula, Kazakhstan, Iraq and the Far East). Eni has about 130 exploration and production subsidiaries, such as Eni Norge.
In 2012 Eni reported liquids and gas production for the full year of 1,701 kboe/d, this being calculated assuming a natural gas conversion factor to barrel equivalent, updated to 5,492 cubic feet of gas equal 1 barrel of oil from July 1, 2012.
During 2012 60 new exploratory wells were drilled, as 56 were drilled in 2011 and 47 in 2010. The overall commercial success rate was 40% (40.8% net to Eni) as compared to 42% in 2011 (38.6% net to Eni) and 41% in 2010 (39% net to Eni). In 2012 351 development wells were drilled as well, as 407 in 2011 and 399 in 2010.
Gas & Power
Eni's power generation sites are located in Ferrera Erbognone, Ravenna, Livorno, Taranto, Mantova, Brindisi, Ferrara and Bolgiano. In 2012, Eni's power generation was 25.67 TWh.
Overall Eni supplies 2,600 customers including large companies, power generation companies, wholesalers and distributors of natural gas for automotive use. Residential users are 7.45 million and include households, professionals, small and medium size enterprises, and public bodies located all over Italy and 2.09 million customers in European Countries. International sales include Iberian Peninsula, Germany, Austria, Benelux, Hungary, UK/Northern Europe, Turkey, France markets.
Eni's electricity generation sites in Italy, as of January 2010, are the following:
- Natural gas power plants
- Brindisi - 1321 MW
- Ferrara - 61 MW
- Ferrera Erbognone - 1030 MW
- Livorno - 199 MW
- Mantua - 836 MW
- Ravenna - 972 MW
- Taranto - 300 MW
- Photovoltaic power plants
- Nettuno - 30 MW
Refining & Marketing
Eni is the leader operator in refining and marketing of petroleum products in Italy.
Eni is engaged in retail and wholesales activities in Central-Eastern European countries also (Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Hungary).
Retail sales operations are conducted under the Eni and Agip brands. The re-branding of Eni's service stations in Italy and in the rest of Europe to Eni brand is underway.
Engineering & Construction
In April 2012, Eni in collaboration with ZEiTECS announced the world's first offshore rigless/wireline retrievable ESP system for Eni Congo.
Eni's principal subsidiaries include:
- Eni Gas & Power (100% owned) - a natural gas and power company based in Belgium formed by merger of Distrigas and Nuon Belgium
- versalis (100% owned) - Versalis is a chemical company that manages the production and marketing of petrochemical products such as olefines, aromatics and intermediates (base chemicals), styrenes, elastomers and polyethylene, plus in recent years a focus on green chemistry, being also able to count on a range of proprietary technologies, advanced plant facilities and a broad-based distribution network.
- Saipem (43% owned) - Saipem is an oil and gas industry contractor. Saipem has contracted for engineering, oilfield services and construction both offshore and onshore through several pipelines, including Blue Stream, Greenstream, Nord Stream and South Stream. It is a subsidiary listed on the Italian Stock Exchange.
- Eni UK - carries out operations in the British section of the North Sea, in the Irish Sea and off the coast of the Shetland Islands. Has been present in UK since 1964. In 2006 Eni UK's average net production of hydrocarbons was more than 141,000 boe/d.
- Eni India is expected to start drilling at a deepwater block 2, near Andaman and Nicobar Islands in Q2 of 2011 as it has received 2-year extension for the completion of drilling program. The program was delayed due to various environmental issues and scarcity of oil rigs. ENI India had won this block in 2005 and partners with ONGC and GAIL India.
Eni is the largest company in Italy and the 20th in the world by revenue. It can be compared to the other Oil and Gas companies in the world of operating and economics data.
Peers - Hydrocarbons Production 2013 (kboe/d)
- ExxonMobil 4175
- BP 3230
- Shell 3199
- Chevron 2597
- Total 2299
- Eni 1619
- Repsol 346
Peers - Proven Hydrocarbons Reserves 2013 (Mld boe)
- ExxonMobil 25,2
- BP 18,0
- Shell 13,9
- Total 11,5
- Chevron 11,2
- Eni 6,5
- Repsol 1,5
Peers – Net Income 2013 (Mld $)
- ExxonMobil 32,6
- BP 23,5
- Chevron 21,4
- Shell 16,4
- Total 11,2
- Eni 6,9
- Repsol 0,3
In 2009, the European Commission filed formal antitrust charges against Eni. The commission believes that Eni has conspired to keep competitors from using its gas pipelines.
In 2009 again, according to the WikiLeaks cables, US ambassador Lanier told Washington that bribery allegations were made in Uganda by Eni which at the time was in competition for oil assets in the country against Tullow Oil. The bribes were taken by the newly appointed Ugandan prime minister, Amama Mbabazi. 
After corruption charges against the subsidiary Saipem, Eni's CFO Alessandro Bernini had to resign and the new CFO Massimo Mondazzi took over in December 2012.
In 2013 Eni continued its commitment to integrated reporting, preparing the Annual Report 2013 in accordance with the principles and contents of the Integrated reporting (<IR>) framework issued by the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC).
Among the UN Sustainable Development Solution Network (SDSN), in 2013 Eni led the Energy For All in Sub-Saharan Africa initiative through international collaborations aimed at devising solutions to fight against energy poverty, in particular in Sub-Saharan Africa.
In 2013 Eni’s commitment continued in ensuring access of local communities to energy, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Eni has been involved in motorsports for more than ten years. The AF Corse Team has achieved notable successes both in Italy and in Europe, winning more than 70 championships over the years. No other auto racing team has gained such success in the history of Italy.
- "eni spa (ENI:BrsaItaliana)". Eni. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Summary for Eni SpA". Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa". consob.it.
- Frankfurt Stock Exchange
- "ENI SPA (ENI:BrsaItaliana): Stock Quote & Company Profile - Businessweek". Businessweek.com.
- ENI SPA NYSE
- "Introducing Enrico Mattei - enihistory". eni.com.
- "FEEM - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - About us - Enrico Mattei". feem.it.
- "Eni". Encyclopedia Britannica.
- "What does Eni stand for?". eni.com.
- History of the trademark
- "What is the significance of the "six-legged dog" in the Eni symbol?". eni.com.
- "1954 - MOVING AROUND THE WORLD. ALL YOU NEED IS A FORMULA. - enihistory". eni.com.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- "Enrico Mattei". Encyclopedia Britannica.
- "1957 - THE MATTEI FORMULA, ANOTHER WINNING MOVE. - enihistory". eni.com.
- Eni in Egypt
- "OIL AGREEMENTS IN IRAN". iranicaonline.org.
- "ENI". wordpress.com.
- "CEO Paolo Scaroni discusses Eni-Russia relations: past, present and future". thinkRUSSIA.
- "A History of US Petroleum Wars by We Fight for Oil - read the free ebook now from ePub Bud!". epubbud.com.
- "1962 - A LIGHT GOES OF OVER THE SKY OF Bascapè. - enihistory". eni.com.
- "The Mystery of Enrico Mattei ‹ HistoricWings.com :: A Magazine for Aviators, Pilots and Adventurers". historicwings.com.
- "Oil Company Histories". virginia.edu.
- Società Italiana per il Gas pA
- "Oil Embargo, 1973–1974 - 1969–1976 - Milestones - Office of the Historian". state.gov.
- "OPEC states declare oil embargo". HISTORY.com.
- "1973-74 Oil Crisis". berkeley.edu.
- "Research Library". bakerinstitute.org.
- "The 70s/80s". eni.com.
- National Oil Corporation-Eni gas company
- The Race for Energy: from 1972 to 1998
- "Pipelines or pipe dreams? Lessons from the history of Arab transit pipelines". macam.ac.il.
- Eni in Libya
- The North Sea: Britain/s Fight For High-Energy Growth
- email@example.com. "NATO PA - 166 GSM 03 - ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT IN THE MEDITERRANEAN". nato-pa.int.
- "Trans-Mediterranean Pipeline". Pipelines International.
- Pipelines in the Middle East and North Africa
- "Trans-Mediterranean Natural Gas Pipeline - Hydrocarbons Technology". hydrocarbons-technology.com.
- "ENI (Agip) Bouri". FMC Technologies.
- "Libya gas export project sets records". offshore-mag.com.
- "1978 - HOUSTON, WE HAVE A CONTRACT. - enihistory". eni.com.
- "Share Capital Evolution". eni.com.
- "E stock quote - ENI S.p.A. stock price - NASDAQ.com". NASDAQ.com.
- "1992 – A private affair, at the sevice [sic] of everyone. - enihistory". eni.com.
- "Eni signs agreements on industrial relations and green economy". europa.eu.
- "Ente Nazionale Idrocarburi (ENI) S.P.A.". ide.go.jp.
- Eni SpA
- "1995 – The stock exchange listing! - enihistory". eni.com.
- "Who will run Eni?". The Economist.
- "The History of Privatization". eni.com.
- "Login to access the Oil & Gas Journal Subscriber Premium features.". ogj.com.
- "eni s.p.a.". aebrus.ru.
- The Top 10 Oil & Gas Companies
- The Race for Energy: from 1998 to 2009
- Mergers and restructuring in the world oil industry
- "ABOUT KASHAGAN". ncoc.kz.
- "2001 – Conquering Kashagan. - enihistory". eni.com.
- "Kashagan Offshore Oil Field Project - Offshore Technology". offshore-technology.com.
- "Blue Stream". eni.com.
- "Hydrocarbons Industry Projects - Hydrocarbons Technology". hydrocarbons-technology.com.
- Eni, Blue Stream project
- "Eni and Gazprom sign the agreement for the South Stream Project". eni.com.
- "South Stream Gas Pipeline". gulfoilandgas.com.
- "South Stream Pipeline Project, Europe". hydrocarbons-technology.com.
- "Letter to Eni CEO" (PDF). Knight Vinke Asset Management. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Eni achieves key production milestone in the Zubair field, in Iraq". eni.com.
- Gina Chon (4 November 2009). "Eni Signs Pact to Develop Iraq's Zubair Oil Field - WSJ". WSJ.
- "Journal of Petroleum Technology - Company News". spe.org.
- Eni in Mozambique
- Mozambique: Galp Energia and Eni to drill offshore Mozambique in September
- "Italian group ENI finds more natural gas in Mozambique". Macauhub English.
- "ABO - About Oil - Our Publications". abo.net.
- "Explorer". aapg.org.
- "Eni increases the Mamba South gas discovery in Mozambique by 50%". eni.com.
- "SubSeaIQ - Offshore Field Development Projects". subseaiq.com.
- "Eni discovers gas at Mamba South offshore Mozambique". offshore-technology.com.
- "Italy's ENI claims giant gas discovery in Mozambique". Modern Ghana.
- "Eni: new giant gas discovery in the offshore Mozambique". eni.com.
- "Rovuma Basin promissing to ENI with Mozambique Mamba discoveries « 2B1stconsulting". 2b1stconsulting.com.
- "NEWS". 1derrick.com.
- Alan Petzet. "Eni adds Paleocene pay, 10+ tcf off Mozambique". ogj.com.
- "Eni announces Mozambique gas discovery". bus-ex.com.
- "Mozambique: Eni makes new natural gas discovery in the region". esteri.it.
- "Eni: important new discovery in Mozambique". eni.com.
- ENI STRIKES ‘GIANT’ NATURAL GAS FIELD AT CORAL PROSPECT
- Super User. "Eni announces major new gas discovery offshore Mozambique". Oil Review Africa.
- Zacks Investment Research (6 October 2015). "Eni Makes a Major Gas Discovery". Zacks Investment Research.
- Eni finds oil and gas offshore DR Congo, Africa: Oil Review Africa, 2014
- OGJ Editors (May 7, 2014). "Eni sheds eastern European refining assets". Oil and Gas Journal. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
A series of capacity reductions in its Italian refining business over the last 3 years contributed a 13% reduction in the company’s global refining capacity in 2013, according to Eni.
- "Italy's Eni acquires 40pc interest in Sasol's gas offshore permit". South Africa News.Net. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Adams, Christopher (30 August 2015). "Eni discovers 'supergiant' gasfield near Egypt". Financial Times. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Exploration & Production". eni.com.
- Eni Makes Big Oil Find in Africa Amid New Sub-Saharan Success
- "Eni Makes Significant Oil & Gas Discovery Offshore Congo". Offshore Energy Today.
- "9Colonne - Eni: First important oil discovery in OTCP Block offshore Ghana". 9Colonne.
- "Eni Discovers Significant Hydrocarbon Offshore Congo". usaoilandgasmonitor.com.
- PennEnergy Editorial Staff. "Eni announces first production from Junin-5 oil field in Venezuela". pennenergy.com.
- "Oil Production Kicks Off At Junin-5 In Venezuela". epmag.com.
- "Eni awarded new exploration licenses in the Barents Sea". eni.com.
- Eni gets exploration licenses in Barents Sea, offshore Norway
- "No Transcript Data". morningstar.com.
- "Eni's CEO Hosts 2012-2015 Strategy Presentation Call (Transcript)". nasdaq.com.
- Amarsys. "Kazakhstan: Eni sees Kashagan to produce 75,000 barrels a day in first month". energy-pedia.com.
- Eni Releases 2013-2016 Strategic Plan
- "- Eni: awarded East Sepinggan block in... - Europétrole". euro-petrole.com.
- OGJ editors. "Eni sees 4%/year output rise through 2016". ogj.com.
- "Eni Norge". eninorge.com.
- "Oil and gas production". eni.com.
- "Drilling". eni.com.
- "Exploration and Development". eni.com.
- Annual report 2012
- "Gas & Power". eni.com.
- "Previous Year's Results". eni.com.
- "History and development of the Company". nyse.com.
- "Sannazzaro Refinery - Hydrocarbons Technology". hydrocarbons-technology.com.
- "Eni SpA (E) Company Profile - Reuters.com". reuters.com.
- "Power Generation". eni.com.
- "Power". eni.com.
- "Sales of natural gas". eni.com.
- "Eni". mercuriurval.com.
- "Eni to Begin Trading Under Own Name in Belgium". naturalgaseurope.com.
- "Eni Aims for 500,000 Customers in France Under Own Brand". naturalgaseurope.com.
- "Eni Acquires Belgian Gas Company". LNG World News.
- "Gas & Power". Eni. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Refining & Marketing". eni.com.
- The Italian Gas Market: Challenges and Opportunities
- "Marketing of refined products". eni.com.
- "Eni will sell gas on the French retail market under its own brand". enerdata.net.
- "Eni enters the retail natural gas market in France". eni.com.
- "Eni will operate on the Belgian retail market under its own brand". enerdata.net.
- "Eni announces results for the third quarter and the nine months of 2012". akbizmag.com.
- "Petrol World - Magazine" (PDF). petrolworld.com.
- "Engineering & Construction". Eni. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Eni and ZEiTECS Install Eni Congo’s First Rigless Retrievable ESP System". BrightWire.
- "Eni Elektriciteit Aardgas Electricité Gaz Naturel". eni.be.
- "Eni starts production at the Blane oil field offshore UK". Milan: Eni. 2007-09-12. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "ENI India to start drilling in Q2 of 2011". Kolkata: The Economic Times. 2010-10-26. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Eni's Key Strengths - Eni". eni.com.
- 2013 Financial and Operating Review ExxonMobil
- BP Annual Report and Form 20-F 2013
- Shell's 2013 Annual Report
- Supplement to the Chevron Annual Report 2013
- Total factbook 2013
- Repsol consolidated financial statements
- The Putin and Pals Project. Kommersant. Dec. 24, 2005
- EU hits Italian energy group ENI with antitrust charges
- "Uganda names bribes-claim minister new PM". Reuters. 2011-05-24.
- Bond Market Debut for New Eni CFO Mondazzi CFO Insight Magazine, January 2013
- "13 September 2012 - Eni confirmed in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index". eni.com.
- Sustainability Index, Annual review 2012
- 4-traders (13 September 2012). "Eni SpA : Eni confirmed in Dow Jones Sustainability World Index". 4-traders.com.
- "Eni confirmed in Dow Jones Sustainability World Index". This is Italy.
- "17 September 2012 – Eni confirmed in the FTSE4Good Index". eni.com.
- Country classificationin FTSE Global benchmarks
- 4-traders (17 October 2012). "Eni SpA : Eni confirmed in the FTSE4Good Index". 4-traders.com.
- "12 September 2012 – Eni enters Cdp's Carbon Performance Leadership Index (CPLI)". eni.com.
- CDP climate performance scores
- "STOCK EXCHANGE: STANDARD ETHICS, ENI IS THE ONLY COMPANY IN THE FTSE MIB WITH A TRIPLE E". eni.com.
- "Climate Change". eni.com.
- Fact Book 2012
- Eni - Sustainability Indices
- "The sustainability in Eni". eni.com.
- "Eni S.p.A. Annual Report 2013 - Welcome". eni.com.
- "Business Model". eni.com.
- "Partnerships for Sustainable Energy". eni.com.
- "Eni for 2013". eni.com.
- "Sustainable Development Solutions Network". unsdsn.org.
- "Green Refinery Project". eni.com.
- "Matrìca: Porto Torres inaugurates new green chemistry complex". eni.com.
- "Gov't signs $7billion oil and gas agreement to produce 1100 megawatts power" (PDF). myjoyonline.com. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Gov’t signs $7billion oil and gas agreement to produce 1100 megawatts power". energymin.gov.gh. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- (English) Marcello Boldrini, Mattei, Rome, Colombo, 1969
- (Italian) Marcello Colitti, Energia e sviluppo in Italia, Bari, De Donato, 1979
- (English) Paul H. Frankel, Oil and Power Policy, New York - Washington, Praeger, 1966
- (English) Pier Paolo Pasolini, Petrolio, various
- (Italian) Nico Perrone, Enrico Mattei, Bologna, Il mulino, 2001 ISBN 88-15-07913-0
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eni.|