|Traded as||LSE: ESNT|
|Headquarters||Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, UK|
|Paul Lester, Chairman
Paul Forman, CEO
|Revenue||£998.5 million (2016)|
|£(50.0) million (2016)|
|£(39.6) million (2016)|
Essentra PLC is a supplier of plastic and fibre products. The company operates internationally from headquarters in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The company was established in Jarrow in the 1940s as the Fibres division of Bunzl. In 1955 it acquired Moss Plastics, a plastic products manufacturer, in 1994 MSI Oilfield Products, a pipe protection business, and in 1996 it bought Payne, a manufacturer of tear tapes.
In 1997 the Bunzl Fibres division bought Filtrona Corporation, a US filter technology specialist which it had demerged in 1984. At this time the Filtrona name was adopted for the enlarged Bunzl Fibres business. The company bought Enitor, a Dutch extruder business, in 1998 and Skiffy Group, a Dutch nylon parts business in 2004.
The company was demerged from Bunzl in 2005. It went on to buy Duraco, a US adhesive coated products business in 2007. In 2008, the company purchased Lendell Manufacturing, a foam manufacturer. The foam and fiber businesses were combined into a new division and named Filtrona Porous Technologies.
On 26 June 2013, the company formally rebranded to Essentra plc. Then-Chief Executive, Colin Day said that the company chose the name Essentra “to capture what each of Filtrona’s businesses manufacture and supply: small but essential key components that play critical roles for our customers”. On 31 October 2016, Essentra announced that Paul Forman would succeed Day as Chief executive, effective 1 January 2017.
The company is organised as follows:
- Protection and Finishing Products
- Porous Technologies
- Packaging & Securing Solutions
- Filter Products
- "Annual Results 2016" (PDF). Essentra. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Essentra PLC - History". essentra.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "About Essentra Components Americas". mossplastics.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Bunzl of Britain To Buy Filtrona". 4 July 1997.
- "TalkTalk". talktalk.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Filtrona highlights diversification with name change to Essentra". Financial Times.
- "Formal Re-branding to Essentra Plc" (PDF).
- "Filtrona faces re-branding test". Financial Times.
- "Appointment of New Chief Executive". Essentra. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "Essentra PLC - Distribution". essentra.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.