|Launched||September 28, 1991|
|Owned by||Time Warner/Home Box Office|
|Country||Offices in: United Kingdom, Croatia (HBO Adria - regional office for Croatia, Slovenia and the Balkans located in Zagreb), Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
HBO Europe is a premium pay television service operating in 3 Central European Countries: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and also 11 Eastern European countries: Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Moldova, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia.
HBO has been available in the Netherlands as well. It was a joint venture between Time Warner and cable company Ziggo. It launched on 9 February 2012 but closed on 31 December 2016. Ziggo has acquired the broadcasting licenses of HBO content for the Dutch market.
The first service launched by HBO in Europe was HBO Hungary, which launched on September 28, 1991. This was followed by the launch of HBO Czech in 1994, HBO Poland in 1996, a launch in Slovakia in 1997, HBO Romania in 1998, launch of HBO Romania in Moldova in 1999, HBO Bulgaria in 2002, HBO Adria in Croatia and Slovenia in 2004 HBO Serbia in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro in 2006 and HBO Macedonia in Macedonia in 2009.
HBO Europe has the following channel brands:
- HBO is available in all fourteen countries.
- HBO 2 is available in all fourteen countries.
- HBO 3 is available in all fourteen countries.
- HBO HD is available in all fourteen countries.
- HBO 2 HD is available in all fourteen countries.
- HBO 3 HD is available in all fourteen countries.
- Cinemax was launched in 2005. It is available in eleven countries.
- Cinemax 2 is available in countries where Cinemax is available.
- Cinemax HD was launched in Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Serbia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Romania and Bulgaria.
- Cinemax 2 HD was launched in Poland in 2011, also available in Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia, Romania and Bulgaria.
HBO Europe is also one of the largest producer companies for television in Central and Eastern Europe, operating HBO Europe Original Programming Ltd., headquartered in London, producing several local original scripted programming and series based on licensed formats.
- Bez tajemnic (2011-2013)
- The Pack[disambiguation needed] (2014-present)
- The Pact[disambiguation needed] (2015-present)
- Blinded by the Lights (2017-present)
- Burning Bush (2013)
- Terapie (2011-2013)
- Až po uši (2014)
- Mamon (2014-present)
- Wasteland (2016-present)
- HBO Europe website
- Robert Briel (28 September 2016). "HBO Netherlands pulls the plug, Ziggo gets the programmes". BroadbandTVNews.com.
- "HBO Europe - History section".
- "HBO launch in Slovenia and Croatia" (Press release). HBO Central Europe. September 7, 2004.
- "HBO Europe - Montenegro History".
- "HBO is Launching a New Movie Channel on the 23rd of February" (Press release). Time Warner. February 15, 2005.