Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding en Veiligheid
The Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding en Veiligheid (NCTV) is the main Dutch counter-terrorism unit. It was established in January 2005 as the Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding (NCTb); the unit was enlarged and renamed in October 2012.
The NCTV is under the responsibility of the Minister of Justice and Security, Ferdinand Grapperhaus since 2017. In charge of the safety of civil aviation and cybersecurity, it also analyses terrorism threats to determine the threat level (minimal, limited, substantial or critical) in the Netherlands. It therefore works closely with the General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD) and Military Intelligence and Security Service (MIVD).
The threat level was raised from limited to substantial in April 2007 when the NCTV revealed that the Netherlands was specifically mentioned in international terrorists' websites, and indicated that the country had 2,500 to 3,000 potential Islamic radicals.
The head of the NCTV unit is appointed by the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations after the approval of the Council of Ministers, as every senior civil servant is in the Netherlands. The following people have served as head of the Nationaal Coördinator Terrorismebestrijding en Veiligheid unit:
- Tjibbe Joustra (27 April 2004 – 1 January 2009);
- Erik Akerboom (1 April 2009 – 1 December 2012);
- Dick Schoof (1 March 2013 – 19 November 2018);
- Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg (since 1 February 2019).
- Justitie, Ministerie van Veiligheid en. "Page not found" (PDF). english.nctb.nl.
- Haberfeld, M.R; King, Joseph F.; Lieberman, Charles A. (2009-09-03). Counter-Terrorism in Comparative ... - Google Books. ISBN 9780387888613. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Wilkinson, Paul (2007). Homeland security in the UK: future ... - Google Books. ISBN 9780415383745. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Xinhua - English". News.xinhuanet.com. 2005-09-17. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (2009-04-30). "Refworld | Country Reports on Terrorism 2008 - The Netherlands". UNHCR. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Berkowitz, Ben (2009-12-26). "Airline suspect started out in Lagos - Dutch NCTb". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- [dead link]