|Birth name||Nikolija Jovanović|
|Born||19 October 1989|
Zagreb, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia
|Alma mater||Deree College|
|Partner(s)||Relja Popović (2014-present)|
Nikolija Jovanović (Serbian Cyrillic: Николија Јовановић, born on 19 October 1989), often simply known as Nikolija, is a Serbian singer, rapper and model. Currently, one of the most prominent regional artists, she is known for blending R&B, hip hop and EDM with pop-folk music, as well as for her distinctive and often reinvented fashion style.
Jovanović was born on October 19, 1989 in Zagreb, SFR Yugoslavia, but raised in Belgrade. The daughter of the popular Yugoslavian folk singer, Vesna Zmijanac, and Vladimir Jovanović, PhD in economics who worked as the marketing chief at PGP RTS, her parents divorced soon after she had been born. Nikolija moved to Athens, Greece for her senior year of high school were she also attended the American Deree College, majoring in economics. It was during these years that Jovanović initially started performing in the local night clubs as a dancer and MC, for which she gained reputation of a "party girl" and was described as famous for being famous by the Serbian media.
In 2010, she appeared on Survivor Srbija VIP: Philippines alongside her mother, where she was the first contestant to be voted out and later voluntarily walked from the show.
2011-2016: Career beginnings and №1
After returning to Serbia, in March 2013, without intentions of pursuing a music career in her home country, Nikolija released her first single "Ćao zdravo" (Bye, Bye) through recently established IDJTunes. Although initially deemed controversial with more dislikes than likes ratio on YouTube, the song gained her substantial public attention. Same year Nikolija performed guest verses on the lead single "Milion dolara" (Million Dollars) for Ana Nikolić's fourth album of the same name and released a self-titled song. Due to commercial success of these songs Jovanović cites herself as the first Serbian mainstream female MC.
The following year, Nikolija raised controversy for appearing in the music video for the song "Miss C.O.K.E." by the Greek act The Hype, which showed her consuming drugs. Jovanović defended herself by saying it was all an act and a modelling gig. She was also a contestant on the Serbian version of Dancing with the Stars, where she got eliminated sixth. Then released the follow-up singles "Alkohola litar" (Liter of Alcohol) in collaboration with Elitni odredi and "Kako posle mene" (How After Me) in August and October, respectively. With these releases Nikolija marked a significant transition from her previous work, embracing a more commercial pop-folk sound and singing rather than just rapping. She also served as a model during the Belgrade Fashion Week, walking the runway while wearing a provocative dress by George Styler. In December, Dado Polumenta's single "Premija" (Premium) was released featuring Nikolija.
In July 2016, Nikolija released yet another promotional single, EDM-infused "Niko kao mi" (No One Like Us). Her debut album, titled №1, which included songs that had been previously released as well as three new tracks, was dropped on 20 October 2016 under City Records.
2017-present: Standalone releases and Yin & Yang
In March 2017, she had her first release since the album with "Promeni mi planove" (Change My Plans). In July, Nikolija had a summer hit with "Loš momak" (Bad Boy), but then saw moderate success with the following singles "Moj tempo" (My Tempo) and "Malo" (Little). Also that year, Jovanović scored a minor movie role in the post-apocalyptic fiction Volja sinovljeva alongside Žarko Laušević and Sergej Trifunović in the lead roles.
The motion picture, which still hasn't had its premiere, later served her as a music video inspiration for her forthcoming single "Nema limita" (No Limit), released in May 2018. Another single, titled "Slažem" (I'm Stacking), was released in August.
She announced her second album by releasing two more singles, "Yin & Yang" and "Nije lako biti ja" (It's Not Easy Being Me) featuring Serbian trap artist Fox in March and April, respectively. On 24 April 2019, she released her sophomore record, also titled Yin & Yang, which she had been working on for the past year, through IDJTunes. In June, Nikolija appeared on the single "Meduza" (Medusa) from Relja Popović's forthcoming debut solo album. While in September, she released "Sija grad" (The City's Shining).
Nikolija started dating Serbian musician and actor Relja Popović, former member of Elitni Odredi duo, while they were working on their duet "Alkohola litar" in 2014. The couple has a daughter named Rea, born on 26 September 2016, and is not planning on getting married. Jovanović currently resides in Vračar, downtown Belgrade with her family.
- Studio albums
Film and television
Awards and nominations
- Music Awards Ceremony
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result||Ref.|
|2019||"Nema limita"||Modern Dance Song of the Year||Nominated|||
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result||Ref.|
(Ana Nikolić ft. Nikolija)
|OGAE Video Contest||Nominated|||
- "Džala, Buba, Maja i Rasta tinejdžerska božanstva". Večernje novosti (in Serbian).
- "Nikolija Jovanović: moj otac nije bio oduševljen zanimanjem koje sam izabrala" (in Serbian). Hello magazin. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Ćao, Zdravo (feat. Teca) - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 1 April 2015.
- "Nikolija - Nije lako biti ja; IDJHot Specijal" (in Serbian).
- Tracara.rs. "Nikolija uzima kokain" (in Serbian).
- "Alkohola Litar (feat. DJ Mladja & Nikolija) - Single by Elitni Odredi". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 9 September 2014.
- "Drugo veče Perwoll Fashion Week-a: Nikolija prošetala pistom" (in Serbian). Blic.
- "Opasna Igra - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 5 June 2015.
- "Promeni Mi Planove - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 9 March 2017.
- "Los Momak - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 21 July 2017.
- "Moj Tempo - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 18 October 2017.
- "Malo - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 20 March 2018.
- Blic.rs. "Zavirite na set filma na kojem glume Žarko Laušević, Igor Benčina i Nikolija" (in Serbian).
- Story.rs. "Nikolija hrabra buntovnica" (in Serbian).
- "Nema Limita - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 14 May 2018.
- "Slazem - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 14 August 2018.
- "Yin & Yang - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 29 March 2019.
- "Nije Lako Biti Ja (feat. Fox) - Single by Nikolija". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 19 April 2019.
- "meduza (feat. Nikolija) - Single by Relja". Apple Music, iTunes (United States). 17 June 2019.
- "Nikolija i Relja iz Elitnih Odreda u vezi već mesecima" (in Serbian). Tracara.com.
- "Nikolija Jovanović i Relja Popović, ćerka stiže na jesen" (in Serbian). Story. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Ovo je lista dobitnika regionalnih MAC muzičkih nagrada" (in Serbian). Tracara.com. January 2019.
- "Ana Nikolić i Nikolija Jovanović na OGAE takmičenju" (in Serbian). Prelistavanje.rs.