28 December 1937 |
Surat, British India
|Alma mater||Cornell University
Harvard Business School
|Occupation||Chairman emeritus, Tata Sons
Chairman, Tata Trusts
|Awards||Padma Vibhushan (2008)
Padma Bhushan (2000)
Ratan Naval Tata (born 28 December 1937) is an Indian businessman, investor, philanthropist and chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons. He was the chairman of Tata Group, a Mumbai-based conglomerate from 1991–2012. He stepped down as the chairman of Tata Group, on 28 December 2012 but continues as the chairman of the Group's charitable trusts.
Ratan Tata is the son of Naval Tata, who had been adopted from the family of a distant relative by Navajbai Tata after the death of her husband, Ratanji Tata. Ratan Tata's parents Naval and Sonoo separated in the mid-1940s when Ratan was ten and his younger brother, Jimmy, was seven years old. Both he and his brother were raised by their grandmother Navajbai Tata. Ratan also has a step brother Noel Tata from Naval Tata's second marriage to Simone Tata.Ratan began his schooling in Mumbai at the Campion School and finished his secondary education at the Cathedral and John Connon School. He completed his B.S. in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University in 1962, and the Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975. Tata is a member of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity.
Tata began his career in the Tata group in 1961. He initially started on the shop floor of Tata Steel, shovelling limestone and handling the blast furnace. In 1991, J. R. D. Tata stepped down as Chairman of Tata Sons, naming Ratan as his successor.
Under his stewardship, Tata Tea acquired Tetley, Tata Motors acquired Jaguar Land Rover and Tata Steel acquired Corus, which have turned Tata from a largely India-centric company into a global business, with 65% revenues coming from abroad. He was instrumental in the development of Tata Nano, largely dubbed as the world's cheapest passenger car.
Ratan Tata retired from all executive responsibility in the Tata group on 28 December 2012, his 75th birthday, and he was succeeded by Cyrus Mistry, the 44-year-old son of Pallonji Mistry and managing director of Shapoorji Pallonji Group.
Ratan Tata has retired but he is still seen working. Recently, he invested his personal savings in Snapdeal- one of India's leading e-commerce website. Mr Tata is working closely with Jaguar Land Rover and some of the new models launched by the British marquee have several inputs from Mr Tata. In April 2015, it was reported that Tata had acquired a stake in Chinese smartphone startup Xiaomi, with specific terms undisclosed.
Board Memberships and Affiliations
He is currently the chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons. He continues to serve as the chairman of the main two Tata trusts Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Sir Ratan Tata Trust and their allied Trusts, which together hold 66% of shares in the group holding company Tata Sons.
Ratan Tata has served in various capacities in organisations in India and abroad. He is a member of the Prime Minister's Council on Trade and Industry and the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council. He is on the jury panel of Pritzker Architecture Prize – considered to be one of the world's premier architecture prizes.
Ratan Tata is a director on the boards of Alcoa Inc., Mondelez International and Board of Governors of the East-West Center. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of University of Southern California, Harvard Business School Board of Dean's Advisors, X Prize and Cornell University.
Ratan Tata is also a member of the Harvard Business School India Advisory Board (IAB) since 2006, a member of the Board of Directors of Pepperdine University, and previously a member of the Harvard Business School Asia-Pacific Advisory Board (APAB) 2001-2006.
Honours and awards
The other notable awards are:
|2015||Honoris Causa||HEC Paris|||
|2015||Honorary Doctor of Automotive Engineering||Clemson University|||
|2014||Honorary Doctor of Laws||York University, Canada|||
|2014||Honorary Knight Grand Cross of The Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|||
|2014||Sayaji Ratna Award||Baroda Management Association|||
|2014||Honorary Doctor of Business||Singapore Management University|||
|2013||Honorary Doctorate||University of Amsterdam|||
|2013||Honorary Doctor of Business Practice||Carnegie Mellon University|||
|2013||Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year – Lifetime Achievement||Ernst & Young|||
|2013||Foreign Associate||National Academy of Engineering|||
|2012||Doctor of Business honoris causa||University of New South Wales|||
|2012||Honorary Fellow||The Royal Academy of Engineering|||
|2010||Business Leader of the Year||The Asian Awards.|||
|2010||Business for Peace Award||Business for Peace Foundation|||
|2010||Honorary Doctor of Laws||Pepperdine University|||
|2010||Legend in Leadership Award||Yale University|||
|2010||Oslo Business for Peace award||Business for Peace Foundation|||
|2010||Hadrian Award||World Monuments Fund|||
|2010||Honorary Doctor of Law||University of Cambridge|||
|2009||Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic||Italy|||
|2009||Life Time Contribution Award in Engineering for 2008||Indian National Academy of Engineering|||
|2009||Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|||
|2008||Inspired Leadership Award||The Performance Theatre|||
|2008||Honorary Fellowship||The Institution of Engineering and Technology|||
|2008||Honorary Citizen Award||Government of Singapore|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.|||
|2008||Honorary Doctor of Law||University of Cambridge.|||
|2008||Inspired Leadership Award||Inspired leadership award|||
|2007||Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy||Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.|||
|2007||Honorary Fellowship||The London School of Economics and Political Science|||
|2006||Responsible Capitalism Award||FIRST|||
|2006||Honorary Doctor of Science||Indian Institute of Technology Madras|||
|2005||Honorary Doctor of Science||University of Warwick.|||
|2005||International Distinguished Achievement Award||B'nai B'rith International|||
|2004||Honorary Doctor of Technology||Asian Institute of Technology.|||
|2004||Medal of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay||Government of Uruguay|||
|2001||Honorary Doctor of Business Administration||Ohio State University|||
- The amazing story of how Ratan Tata built an empire. Rediff (21 October 2010)
- "List of Fellows".
- "Ratan Tata is chairman emeritus of Tata Sons". The Times of India.
- Langley, William (30 March 2008). "Ratan Tata rode the tiger economy and now he drives Jaguar". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Ratan Tata goes back to school". Times of India. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Sharma, Subramaniam (18 October 2006). "India's Tata Takes Leap With $7.6 Billion Corus Bid (Update1)". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- Chidanand Rajghatta (30 December 2007). "Times of India Article: Man of the Year? Its Ratan Tata". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- "Cyrus P Mistry to succeed Ratan Tata". Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Ratan Tata, India's Corporate Czar, Retires With a $500 Billion Vision". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Ratan Tata's input at JLR after retirement". Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Flannery, Russell (2 May 2015). "Ratan Tata Investment Underscores How Xiaomi Defies Odds". Forbes. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Ratan Tata nominated to the board of Mondelez International". The Times of India. 3 April 2013.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Ratan N Tata receives honoris causa degree from HEC Paris". 23 April 2015.
- "2015 SC Automotive Summit & SC Auto Week Agenda" (PDF). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Ratan Tata gets honorary doctorate from York University of Canada". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Touched for being awarded GBE by UK: Ratan Tata". 18 April 2014.
- "BMA to confer Sayaji Ratna Award on Ratan Tata". The Times of India. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Mr Ratan Tata receives honorary doctorate from SMU". 19 March 2014.
- "Honorary doctorates from UvA for Ratan Tata and Andre Kuipers".
- Carnegie Mellon University "Keynote & Honorees" Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "EY honors Ratan Tata with life time achievement award". Ernst & Young. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "National Academy of Engineering Elects 69 Members And 11 Foreign Associates". The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering & Medicine. 7 Feb 2013.
- "UNSW Newsroom". Indian industrialist Ratan Tata honorary degree. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/science-innovation-network-india/2012/08/07/spotlight-on-engineering. Missing or empty
- "Winners of the Asian Awards 2010". Times of India. October 2010.
- "Seven secure Oslo Business for Peace Awards for 2010". 5 October 2010.
- "Pepperdine Confers Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree on Ratan N. Tata". Pepperdine University. September 2010.[dead link]
- "Yale Chief Executive Leadership Institute to Honor Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata with "Legend in Leadership Award"". Yale University. September 2010.
- http://businessforpeace.no/the-2010-honourees/. Missing or empty
- http://www.wmf.org/event/2010-hadrian-award-gala. Missing or empty
- http://www.cam.ac.uk/news/honorary-degree-2010-nominations-announced. Missing or empty
- (PDF) http://www.governo.it/Presidenza/onorificenze_araldica/onorificenze/documenti/anno%202008.pdf. Missing or empty
- http://inae.in/life_time.html. Missing or empty
- "GBE: Ratan Tata receives one of UK's top civilian honours". The Economic Times. 5 May 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- . 13 November 2008 http://www.theperformancetheatre.com/about/inspired-leadership-award/. Missing or empty
- . November 2008 http://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/institution-history/hon-fellows.cfm. Missing or empty
- . August 2008 http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Singapore+confers+honorary+citizenship+on+Ratan+Tata/1/14155.html. Missing or empty
- "IIT Kharagpur confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". Economic Times. March 2008.
- "Ratan Tata gets smarter by a degree". Mumbai Mirror. August 2008.[dead link]
- "University of Cambridge confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". University of Cambridge. March 2008.
- "Rajendra Pachauri and Ratan Tata guests of honour at Norwegian Creative Experience". Norwegian Embassy. November 2008.[dead link]
- "Carnegie Medal for Philanthropy on Ratan Tata". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. March 2007.[dead link]
- . July 2007 http://www.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/news/archives/2007/RatanTataHonoraryFellow.aspx. Missing or empty
- . November 2006 http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/ratan-tata-wins-responsible-capitalism-award-106120300005_1.html. Missing or empty
- . July 2006 http://www.hindu.com/2006/07/29/stories/2006072912901000.htm. Missing or empty
- "University of Warwick confers Honorary Doctor of Science on Ratan Tata". London School of Economics. March 2005.
- (PDF). May 2005 http://www.bnaibrith.org/uploads/7/8/5/9/7859990/bbi_past_award_honorees_list.pdf. Missing or empty
- "Asian Institute of Technology confers doctorate on Ratan Tata". Asian Institute of Technology. March 2008.
- . January 2004 http://portal.bsnl.in/bsnl/asp/content%20mgmt/html%20content/business/business29191.html. Missing or empty
- . March 2001 http://www.osu.edu/universityawards/dsa/honorary.html. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ratan Naval Tata.|
- Ratan Naval Tata's chairman profile at Tata Group
- Profile at The Guardian
- "Ratan Tata '59: The Cornell Story" on YouTube
- Interview on Charlie Rose
- Creating Emerging Markets Interview at the Harvard Business School