This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 in Windows Vista
|Original author(s)||Jasc Software, Inc.|
|Initial release||August 1990|
2020 / August 1, 2019
|Operating system||Windows 7 and later|
|Type||Raster graphics editor, vector graphics editor|
PaintShop Pro (PSP) is a raster and vector graphics editor for Microsoft Windows. It was originally published by Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel purchased Jasc Software and the distribution rights to Paint Shop Pro. PSP functionality can be extended by Photoshop-compatible plugins.
The X-numbered editions have been sold in two versions: PaintShop Pro, which is the basic editing program, and PaintShop Pro Ultimate, which bundles in other standalone programs, additional artistic tools and/or plugins. The particular bundled programs have varied with each numbered version and have not been sold by Corel as separate products.
PSP comes with an interface for automating tasks with scripts written in Python.
Originally called simply Paint Shop, the first version, 1.0, was a basic picture converter between BMP, GIF and PCX formats, released by Robert Voit in August 1990. Paint Shop was originally distributed as shareware and is still available at many download sites (4.12 being a popular version). Most newer versions are only commercially available although some have been distributed in the United Kingdom in computer magazine CDs after they became obsolete.
Paint Shop Pro 5 added support for layers as well as CMYK and HSL colour modes, included JASC Animation Shop for creating animations and in fact was marketed as "Paint Shop Pro 5.0 with Animation Shop". PaintShop Pro X6 was the first to be available as a native 64 bit version (purchase includes both versions). PaintShop Pro X7 includes content-aware features such as "Magic Fill" and "Smart Edge" as well as support for XMP sidecar files that preserve edit settings for raw formats.
From 2006 to 2011 (versions XI to X3), PaintShop Pro was marketed as "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo". Having dropped the "Photo" part of the name in version X4, Paintshop Pro X5 was derived from Ulead Photo Explorer after Corel's acquisition of Ulead.
Picture tubes are graphic images with no background. They are often used as a starting point for complex images; that is, they are combined with other image elements to produce a final work. Tubes can also be regarded as graphic brushes based on a pre-created image; this was their original use. Instead of leaving a trace of color on the canvas, they would leave a trail of images. Popular tube subjects include alphabets, humans (also known as dollz), animal and toy figures, flowers, love messages and seasonal symbols.
The tube system originated with PSP Pro version 5. Native tube files may be in .tub, .psp, .pspimage, and .psptube formats. XnView, IrfanView, and TubeEx are separate graphics programs that can convert tube files (.tub) to .png.
PaintShop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate was released towards the end of life of PaintShop Pro Photo X2, in September 2008. It included 150 additional picture frames and Picture Tubes, the programs Background Remover, Corel Painter Photo Essentials 4, and Photorecovery, as well as RAW support for 250 cameras and a 2GB flash drive.
Subsequent Ultimate editions were released contemporaneously with the basic version. PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate included Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0, a voucher for 21 images from Fotolia at high quality, and additional Picture Tubes. X5 Ultimate included Reallusion FaceFilter Studio 2.0, NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0, and "over 100 unique brushes, textures and royalty-free backgrounds". PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate includes Athentech Imaging's Perfectly Clear and Reallusion's FaceFilter3 Standard. PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate includes those same two items.
The bundled extras cannot be installed unless that version of the PaintShop program is already installed. However, once a bundled extra such as a plugin has been installed, the installed files can be copied to other versions, e.g., a plugin installed under X5 can be copied to X6 and even if X5 is then uninstalled, the plugin will continue to work under X6. Corel releases a new X version roughly annually, so this ability to copy means PSP users do not have to choose between updating or continued use of Ultimate add-ons from previous versions.
- Paint Shop Pro Personal is a version of JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 for the Japanese market, published by Sourcenext Corporation.
- Paint Shop Photo Album is a simplified version of Paint Shop Pro designed to enhance, organize, and share digital photos. The Corel version was released as version 5.
- Corel Paint Shop Pro Album Personal is a version of Corel Paint Shop Pro Album 5 Deluxe for Japan market, published by Sourcenext Corporation.
- Corel Photo Album is the successor of Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album. First release was version 6.
- Corel PaintShop Photo Express is the successor of Corel Photo Album. First release was PaintShop Photo Express 2010.
- Paint Shop Pro Photo Studio is a site launched as part of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 launch celebration.
License management software
Versions XI through to X8 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, a Windows service called ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host. Manually disabling the Protexis Licensing service may cause Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo to cease functioning.
- "Exclusive Offer - PaintShop Pro 2020 Ultimate". Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "Corel PaintShop Pro 2018 Reviewer's Guide" (PDF). help.corel.com. Corel. 18 July 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "See "Paint Shop v1.0 - for Windows 3.0"". Cd.textfiles.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "NEWS! - Digital Cameras, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography, Digital Scanners". Imaging-resource.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Jasc Software Announces Public Beta of Paint Shop Pro 5 with Animation Shop". Jasc.com. 14 May 1998. Archived from the original on 1998-05-14. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "New 64-Bit Corel® PaintShop® Pro X6 Delivers on Users' Top Request" (PDF). Corel.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Corel Paintshop Pro X&" (PDF). Img.paintshoppro.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Ulead is Now a Corel Company". Corel.com. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original on March 26, 2013. Retrieved 2016-06-16.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)[better source needed]
- "Corel to close Eden Prairie office". Startribune.com. 2007-11-29. Archived from the original on 2011-07-04. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- Michael Bednarek (2011-08-27). "Discussion of introduction of tubes to JASC Paint Shop Pro 5". Irt.org. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Discussion of Paint Shop Pro Picture Tubes, tutorials and tips". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2011-08-30. Archived from the original on 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Newsroom - News releases". Corel.com. 28 September 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "News Releases - Newsroom". Corel.com. 5 November 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "ソースネクスト、コーレルのグラフィックソフトも1980円で". Japan.cnet.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - ソースネクスト、コーレルと販売提携". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - Paint Shop(TM)Pro(R)パーソナル". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - Corel(R) Paint Shop Pro(TM) Album パーソナル". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.