Reading West (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Reading West in Berkshire.
Location of Berkshire within England.
|Electorate||73,216 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Reading, Theale and Tilehurst|
|Member of parliament||Alok Sharma (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Reading North, Newbury and Reading South|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Katesgrove, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, and Tilehurst, and the District of Newbury wards of Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley, Theale, and Tilehurst.
1997-2010: The Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, Tilehurst, and Whitley, and the District of Newbury wards of Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley, Theale, and Tilehurst.
2010-present: The Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, Tilehurst, and Whitley, and the District of West Berkshire wards of Birch Copse, Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley on Thames, Theale, and Westwood.
The Reading West parliamentary constituency was first contested in 1983, when it was won a member of the Conservative, Tony Durant, the sitting MP for the abolished Reading North constituency. He held the seat through two subsequent general elections until he retired at the 1997 election.
The constituency was then won by Martin Salter for Labour, as part of the landslide that brought Labour back to power under Tony Blair. Salter held the seat through the Blair-Brown Ministry until Parliament was dissolved in April 2010, but did not stand in the 2010 general election, when Alok Sharma won the seat for the Conservatives.
Since its 1983 creation the constituency has been a bellwether paradigm example of a marginal seat. Boundary changes have taken in areas of population expansion to the east in new largely private sector housing estates for the 2010 election. Unemployment is close to the regional average, which is lower than the national average and the constituency has seen a marked increase in properties and property prices throughout from 2001–2011 period which has seen town centre regeneration and investment by a Labour Party-controlled council enhanced by Reading railway station hub improvements and enterprise areas equally supported under the Conservative-led governments of the Cameron Ministry and May Ministry.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Meri O'Connell||2,355||4.9||-15.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Daisy Benson||9,546||20.1||4.3|
|Common Sense||Howard Thomas||852||1.8||1.8|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+12.1|
|Source Reading Borough Council, BBC|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Denise Gaines||6,663||15.8||+3.0|
|Source Electoral Commission|
|Liberal Democrat||Polly Martin||5,387||12.8||+0.1|
|Source Guardian Unlimited, ONS|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Dee Tomlin||6,153||12.7||-5.4|
|Referendum||Steven G Brown||976||2.0||N/A|
|UKIP||David M Black||255||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||-15.7|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
|Conservative||Sir Tony Durant||28,048||52.9||−2.4|
|Liberal Democrat||KH Lock||9,572||18.1||−4.3|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative||Sir Tony Durant||28,122||55.30||+3.94|
|Conservative||Sir Tony Durant||24,948||51.36||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Reading West', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Election Maps". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2011 census interactive maps
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Parliamentary results 2015". Reading Borough Council.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated – Notice of Poll – Reading West Constituency" (PDF). Reading Borough Council. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election 2010 – Reading West". BBC. 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Electoral Commission – Reading West". Electoral Commission. 2005. Retrieved 29 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Ask Aristotle – Reading West". London: Guardian Unlimited. 2005. Archived from the original on 11 April 2005. Retrieved 4 May 2005.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.