Crawley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Crawley in West Sussex.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Electorate||74,369 (May 2015)|
|Member of parliament||Henry Smith (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Horsham and Crawley|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Crawley, and the District of Mid Sussex wards of Balcombe, Copthorne and Worth, Crawley Down, Slaugham, and Turners Hill.
1997–present: The Borough of Crawley.
The constituency covers the whole of the town and borough of Crawley in West Sussex which includes London Gatwick Airport. Crawley borders Horsham in the same county on all sides other than the north, where it borders a part of East Surrey.
Before the 1983 General Election, Crawley had been part of the Horsham & Crawley, Horsham, and Horsham & Worthing constituencies at times. Due to the growth of Crawley, which was a small town, into a substantial new town in the 1960s and 70s, the Boundary Commission took the decision to separate it from Horsham in 1983 and create a new seat. Labour majorities with comfortable victories in 1997 and 2001 suggested a safe seat, but the sometimes volatile nature of new town voters, especially in South-East England, made the seat highly marginal in 2005. Labour had a majority of 37 votes in the 2005 election, making this seat the most marginal in the UK. The 2010 election saw Henry Smith win the seat at the third attempt, beating Labour's Chris Oxlade by 5,928, on an (averaged two-party) swing of 6.3%.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Crawley|
|Conservative||Henry Smith ||22,829||47.0||+2.3|
|Labour||Chris Oxlade ||16,303||33.6||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Sarah Osborne||1,339||2.8||-11.6|
|General Election 2010: Crawley|
|Liberal Democrat||John Vincent||6,844||14.4||−1.1|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||265||0.6||+0.1|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+6.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Crawley|
|Liberal Democrat||Rupert Sheard||6,503||15.5||+2.8|
|Democratic Socialist Alliance - People Before Profit||Robin Burnham||263||0.6||N/A|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||210||0.5||−0.2|
|General Election 2001: Crawley|
|Liberal Democrat||Linda Seekings||5,009||12.7||+4.5|
|Monster Raving Loony||Claire Staniford||383||1.0||N/A|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||271||0.7||+0.2|
|Socialist Labour||Karl Stewart||260||0.7||N/A|
|Socialist Alliance||Muriel Hirsch||251||0.6||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Crawley|
|Liberal Democrat||Harold De Souza||4,141||8.2||−6.3|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||230||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general
elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|General Election 1992: Crawley|
|Liberal Democrat||Gordon Seekings||8,558||13.8||−7.7|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Crawley|
|Labour||Paul John Leo||17,121||29.0||+2.8|
|Social Democratic||David Norman Simmons||12,674||21.5||−4.2|
|General Election 1983: Crawley|
|Social Democratic||T. Forrester||13,900||25.7||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". Boundary Commission for England. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - Crawley
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Website". Chris Brown. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Crawley Liberal Democrats have announced that Sarah Osborne will be their 2015 Parliamentary Candidate.
- Meet the candidates
- "CPA Candidates for the General Election". Christian Peoples Alliance. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983 - 1992 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1992 - 2005 (Guardian)