Crawley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Crawley in West Sussex.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Electorate||74,369 (May 2015)|
|Member of Parliament||Henry Smith (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Horsham and Crawley and Mid Sussex|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Crawley, and the District of Mid Sussex wards of Balcombe, Copthorne and Worth, Crawley Down, Slaugham, and Turners Hill.
1997–present: The Borough of Crawley.
The constituency covers the whole of the town and borough of Crawley in West Sussex which includes London Gatwick Airport. Crawley borders Horsham in the same county on all sides other than the north, where it borders a part of East Surrey.
Before the 1983 general election, Crawley had been part of the Horsham & Crawley, Horsham, and Horsham & Worthing constituencies at times. Due to the growth of Crawley, which was a small town, into a substantial new town in the 1960s and 70s, the Boundary Commission took the decision to separate it from Horsham in 1983 and create a new seat. Labour majorities with comfortable victories in 1997 and 2001 suggested a safe seat, but the sometimes volatile nature of new town voters, especially in South-East England, made the seat highly marginal in 2005. Labour had a majority of 37 votes in the 2005 election, making this seat the most marginal in the UK. The 2010 election saw Henry Smith win the seat at the third attempt, beating Labour's Chris Oxlade by 5,928, on an (averaged two-party) swing of 6.3%. Smith increased his majority to 6,526 at the 2015 election, but had it reduced to a more marginal 2,459 at the 2017 election, the Labour candidate chasing closely behind.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Conservative||Henry Smith ||25,426||50.6||+3.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Marko Scepanovic||1,878||3.7||+1.0|
|Conservative||Henry Smith ||22,829||47.0||+2.3|
|Labour||Chris Oxlade ||16,303||33.6||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Sarah Osborne||1,339||2.8||-11.6|
|Liberal Democrat||John Vincent||6,844||14.4||−1.1|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||265||0.6||+0.1|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+6.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Rupert Sheard||6,503||15.5||+2.8|
|Democratic Socialist Alliance - People Before Profit||Robin Burnham||263||0.6||N/A|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||210||0.5||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Linda Seekings||5,009||12.7||+4.5|
|Monster Raving Loony||Claire Staniford||383||1.0||N/A|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||271||0.7||+0.2|
|Socialist Labour||Karl Stewart||260||0.7||N/A|
|Socialist Alliance||Muriel Hirsch||251||0.6||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Harold De Souza||4,141||8.2||−6.3|
|Justice Party||Arshad Khan||230||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+13.4|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general
elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|Liberal Democrat||Gordon Seekings||8,558||13.8||−7.7|
Elections in the 1980s
|Labour||Paul John Leo||17,121||29.0||+2.8|
|Social Democratic||David Norman Simmons||12,674||21.5||−4.2|
|Social Democratic||Tom Forrester||13,900||25.7||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". Boundary Commission for England. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "'Crawley', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "BBC News - Election 2010 - Constituency - Crawley". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)
- "The Labour Party on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Who have Labour members picked to fight the general election target seats? - LabourList". labourlist.org. 29 January 2018. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "CRAWLEY 2015". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Website". Chris Brown. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Crawley Liberal Democrats have announced that Sarah Osborne will be their 2015 Parliamentary Candidate". crawley-libdems.org.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Meet the candidates Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine
- "CPA Candidates for the General Election". Christian Peoples Alliance. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.