Bognor Regis and Littlehampton (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton in West Sussex for the 2010 general election.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Population||98,433 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||70,535 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bognor Regis, Felpham and Littlehampton|
|Member of parliament||Nick Gibb (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Bognor Regis and Littlehampton (Contemp. RP) /ˈbɒɡnə ɹʷiːd͡ʒɪs ænd lɪtl̩hæmptn̩/, /-æmtn̩/ is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its creation in 1997 by Nick Gibb of the Conservative Party.[n 2]
Boundaries and constituency profile
1997-2010: The District of Arun wards of Aldwick East, Aldwick West, Bersted, Felpham East, Felpham West, Hotham, Littlehampton Beach, Littlehampton Central, Littlehampton Ham, Littlehampton River, Littlehampton Wick, Marine, Middleton on Sea, Orchard, Pagham, and Pevensey.
2010-present: The District of Arun wards of Aldwick East, Aldwick West, Beach, Bersted, Brookfield, Felpham East, Felpham West, Ham, Hotham, Marine, Middleton-on-Sea, Orchard, Pagham and Rose Green, Pevensey, River, Wick with Toddington, and Yapton.
The constituency is elongated along the south coast of England. It includes the towns of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. Small scale manufacturing, trades, retail and commutable industrial parks form most of the economy supplemented by seasonal tourism. A larger than average proportion of the population are retired people who choose to live beside the settlements on the South Coast of England, supporting in the constituency sporting facilities, public services, golf courses and general domestic spending. The proportion of social housing is slightly lower than the UK average.
Immediately prior to this seat's creation in 1997, the two eponymous towns were part of the Arundel constituency. Prior to 1974, Bognor Regis was part of the Chichester constituency, while Littlehampton was part of the Arundel and Shoreham constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Francis Oppler||4,240||9.0||−14.5|
|General Election 2010: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon McDougall||11,024||23.5||+1.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Labour||George Keith O'Neill||10,361||25.4||−5.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Simon McDougall||8,927||21.9||+4.3|
|General Election 2001: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Labour||George Keith O’Neill||11,959||30.7||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Pamela Grace Peskett||6,846||17.6||−6.4|
|UKIP||George Yarver Stride||1,779||4.6||+1.3|
|Green||Miss Lilius Rider Haggard Cheyne||782||2.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
|Labour||Roger A. Nash||13,216||28.5||+15.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Dr James M.M. Walsh||11,153||24.0||−2.7|
|UKIP||George Yarver Stride||1,537||3.3||N/A|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in West Sussex
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
Notes and references
- "Bognor Regis and Littlehampton: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2001 Census
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Arun District Council
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)
- nomis Constituency Profile for Bognor Regis and Littlehampton — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.