|Sayyad 2 (Hunter II)|
A Sayyad 2 system of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Defense Force in 2015.
|Type||Mobile long range surface-to-air missile with anti-ballistic missile capability|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Used by||See iran|
|Sayyad 2: 60–120 km
Sayyad 3: 150–200 km
It is an upgraded version of the Sayyad-1 system with higher precision, range and defensive power. Sayyad-1 is the Iranian upgraded version of the HQ-2 SAM system, however it differs with the Chinese versions in guidance and control subsystems. Sayyad-1 is equipped with an about 200-kilogram warhead and has a speed of about 1,200 meters per second. The range of the Sayyad-2 missile is controversial. Different sources claim various numbers, from 60 km to a 120 km.
After the unveiling ceremony in November 2013 it is clear that the Sayyad-2 missile look like the SM-2 Standard SAM missile but its control fins are similar to the Iranian medium range TAER-2 SAM missile. Also announced that it will have cooperation with S-200 system via TALASH-2 interface system. It is planned that Sayyad-2 missile be added to Iranian Moudge class frigates. Iranian defense minister announced that Sayyad-2 covers medium range and high altitudes and it has a combined guidance system.
The launcher of Sayyad-2 missile that consist of 4 canisters in 2*2 configuration is one of the interesting things about this new Iranian surface to air missile because it has so much apparent similarity to American MIM-104 Patriot SAM system launchers.
Sayyad-3 is a similar missile, but with a long-range capability. It has similar diameter as Sayyad-2 but longer body with different wings and control surfaces. Based on current estimates Sayyad-3 has the range about 150–200 km. Iranian Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan stated the maximum range is about 120 km. This missile will be added to S-200 SAM systems via TALASH-3 system.
Also Iran has developed a long range missile named Sayyad-4 which is very similar in appearance to the Russian 48N6E missile (one of the missiles in the S-300 missile system). No formal information has been announced about this missile but it appears from new photos that Sayyad-4 is like above Russian missile only in frontal parts and is similar to Sayyad-3 in wings and control surfaces shape.
- "Iran inaugurates production line of Sayyad-2 missile", PressTV, November 9, 2013
- "Iran tests Talash air defence system - Jane's 360". www.janes.com.
- "Iran tests anti-aircraft missile system". PressTV. 2011-04-16. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "تجهیز ناوشکن دماوند به رادار سهبُعدی و سامانه موشکی صیاد ۲ + عکس". 19 July 2014.
- "افتتاح خط تولید موشک "صیاد 2"+عکس". 9 November 2013.
- "Iran launches mass production of new surface-to-air missiles", RT, November 9, 2013
- "تجهیز سامانه اس200 به موشک صیاد3". 26 April 2014.
- "Commander: Iran Mulling Change in Sayyad Missiles to Mount It on Mowj-Class Vessels", FarsNews Agency, January 27, 2014