Small nucleolar RNA sR8
|sR8 consensus sequence|
|RNA type||snoRNA; CD-box|
Small nucleolar RNA sR8 is a non-coding RNA belonging to the C/D box class of snoRNAs. sR8, along with other C/D box snoRNAs, performs 2′-O-methylation of ribose on a target strand of ribosomal RNA. Targeting is achieved through the C and D box components, which are short sections of conserved sequences, as well as C'/D' boxes (internal equivalents of the C and D boxes). These sequences base-pair with nucleotides in the target rRNA to direct their methylation.
sR8 RNA operates alongside protein components in a ribonucleoprotein (RNP) complex. sR8 is able to guide the methylation of targets found within structured stem-loops, which implies that a component of the complex is able to unwind such structures.
As a model system
sR8 is considered a 'model' C/D box sRNA and has been used in several experiments investigating the nature of C/D box snoRNAs and ribonucleoprotein complexes. It is particularly useful in studies because the RNP can be entirely constructed in vitro.
sR8 RNA from the hyperthermophile Methanocaldococcus jannaschii has been used to elucide the 3-dimensional structure of a C/D box RNP. The structure was unexpectedly found to be dimeric, wherein two RNA molecules bind with several proteins in the same complex.
- Galardi, S.; Fatica, A.; Bachi, A.; Scaloni, A.; Presutti, C.; Bozzoni, I. (October 2002). "Purified Box C/D snoRNPs Are Able to Reproduce Site-Specific 2'-O-Methylation of Target RNA in Vitro". Molecular and Cellular Biology 22 (19): 6663–6668. doi:10.1128/MCB.22.19.6663-6668.2002. PMC 134041. PMID 12215523.
- Kiss-Laszlo, Z; Henry Y; Bachellerie JP; Caizergues-Ferrer M; Kiss T (1996). "Site-specific ribose methylation of preribosomal RNA: a novel function for small nucleolar RNAs". Cell 85 (7): 1077–1088. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81308-2. PMID 8674114.
- Appel CD, Maxwell ES (June 2007). "Structural features of the guide:target RNA duplex required for archaeal box C/D sRNA-guided nucleotide 2'-O-methylation". RNA 13 (6): 899–911. doi:10.1261/rna.517307. PMC 1869030. PMID 17438123. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- Tran, E.; Zhang, X.; Lackey, L.; Maxwell, E. S. (2005). "Conserved spacing between the box C/D and C'/D' RNPs of the archaeal box C/D sRNP complex is required for efficient 2'-O-methylation of target RNAs". RNA 11 (3): 285–293. doi:10.1261/rna.7223405. PMC 1370718. PMID 15661846.
- Rashid R, Aittaleb M, Chen Q, Spiegel K, Demeler B, Li H (October 2003). "Functional requirement for symmetric assembly of archaeal box C/D small ribonucleoprotein particles". J. Mol. Biol. 333 (2): 295–306. doi:10.1016/j.jmb.2003.08.012. PMID 14529617. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- Bleichert F, Gagnon KT, Brown BA, et al. (September 2009). "A dimeric structure for archaeal box C/D small ribonucleoproteins". Science 325 (5946): 1384–7. doi:10.1126/science.1176099. PMC 2975540. PMID 19745151. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "Study Reveals Unexpected Ancient Cellular Structure". PhysOrg.com.