|Elevation||861 m (2,825 ft)|
|• Rank||8 in HP|
|• Local Language||Mandayli|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||HP- HP-31|
Sundar Nagar is located in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India. Its geographical coordinates are 31° 32' 0" North, 76° 53' 0" East and its original name (with diacritics) is Sundarnagar. The city has an average elevation of 861 metres (2,825 ft).
Weather: temperature varies from 40 °C in summers to −3 °C in winters.
Murari Devi temple:- this temple was made by pandwas during their agayatwas at the top of the hill named Murari Dhar. situated at a height of 1900 metres above sea level this place receives snowfall generally from December to February.
Mahamaya temple:- this is a sacred temple near Sundar Nagar known for its beauty.
Sukhdev vatika:- this place is said to be the home of the sage sukhdev.there is a small temple with a pond having a variety of dishes there. There is also a cave believed to be connected to Ganga river.
Rewalsar:-this place is known for its sacred lakes and beautiful scenic view.suitated at a height of 1310 metres. This place is also home to various Buddhist temples.
According to 2001 Census of India, Sunder Nagar had a population of 23,979. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Sunder Nagar has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 78%. In Sunder Nagar, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age. As per the final results of 2011 Census of India, the town's population stood at 24,344.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sundar Nagar is situated on National Highway 21, 22 km from Mandi, and is well-connected by road to other places. Frequent bus services are available from Chandigarh, Delhi, Shimla, and Jammu for Sundar Nagar. The main bus stand is just above an open playing field, where the National Highway 21 continues along the left bank of river to Pandoh.
The nearest airport is Bhuntar, near Kullu, which is about 82 km from the town and the nearest broad-gauge railway station is Kiratpur Sahib which is about 105 km. Another broad-gauge railhead is at Pathankot, a distance of 210 km. From Pathankot, the narrow gauge railway connects to Joginder Nagar which is 80-km from Sundar Nagar.
Educational institutions in Sunder Nagar include:
- Government Engineering College (Jawaharlal Nehru Government Engineering College)
- Government medical College (Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Government Medical College in Nerchowk)
- private Dental College
- Government Polytechnic College
- Government Sanskrit College
- Semi Government Degree College ( Maharaja Laxman Sen Memorial College)
- PLC Business Complex (Nearby HRTC Bus Stand, NH-21, Chd-Mandi-Manali National Highway)
- "Sundarnagar Population Census 2011". Census 2011 India. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "Sunder Nagar". Official Website of Mandi district. Retrieved 28 April 2018.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Hutchinson, J. & J. PH Vogel (1933). History of the Panjab Hill States, Vol. I. 1st edition: Govt. Printing, Punjab, Lahore, 1933. Reprint 2000. Department of Language and Culture, Himachal Pradesh. Chapter VIII Suket State, pp. 340–372.
- History of Mandi