Wikipedia:Meetup/San Diego/ArtandFeminism 2016
|When and Where|
|Date||Saturday, March 5, 2016|
|Time||11:00 am - 2:00 pm|
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
|City, State||La Jolla, CA 92093|
- Date: Saturday, March 5, 2016
- Time: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Location: Geisel Library, Classroom Two, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093
- Cost: Free with refreshments provided!
- What to bring: Please come with your Wikipedia log-in, or we can help you set up an account the day of (it's very easy). We will have computers available for use. You may bring your own laptop, but we encourage you to also bring a power cord.
- RSVP below: Sign in using your Wikipedia username.
List of articles to edit
Below is a list of articles that would benefit from edits and expansion during the edit-a-thon, but you are welcome to work on anything you like.
Please note: This is a crowdsourced list. You can help us by adding to it!
- See also: Wikipedia:Meetup/ArtAndFeminism/Tasks
- Pauline Boutal (1894–1992) French-born Canadian painter, theatrical designer, and commercial artist[pb 1][pb 2][pb 3][pb 4][pb 5][pb 6][pb 7][pb 8][pb 9]
- Cornelia Battle Lewis (1893–1956), better known as Nell Battle Lewis - American journalist, feminist, lawyer, and educator[nl 1][nl 2][nl 3][nl 4][nl 5][nl 6]
- Margaret Noble (artist) (born 1972) San Diego sound artist and educator[mn 1][mn 2][mn 3][mn 4][mn 5][mn 6][mn 7][mn 8][mn 9][mn 10][mn 11][mn 12][mn 13][mn 14][mn 15][mn 16]
These museums hold works by notable women artists in their collections; translate from Dutch or German, or write from scratch:
To improve: The following drafts will be deleted if not improved:
- Draft:Anne K. Batten (born 1932) Vermont state legislator - focus and sourcing need to be improved
- Draft:Edie McKee Harper (1922–2010) American artist - needs to show that she was notable independent of her husband
- Draft:Vera McGinnis (1892–1990) American cowgirl - needs to be expanded using reliable sources, such as those in "Further reading"
- Draft:Nerissa Underwood (born 1954 or 1955) Guam legislator - needs better sourcing and updating
The following stubs could be expanded by mining "Further reading" for additional content:
- Madeline Cain (born 1949) four-term Ohio state legislator, mayor
- Wendy Morton (born 1967) British Member of Parliament
- Louise Caldwell Murdock (1857–1915) American interior designer and architect
Pauline Boutal references
- Duguay, Louise (2015). Pauline Boutal: An Artist's Destiny, 1894-1992. Translated by Stewart, S. E. University of Manitoba Press. ISBN 978-0-88755-483-4.
- "Artist Database: Boutal, Pauline". Canadian Women Artists History Initiative.
- "Pauline Boutal". The Canadian Encyclopedia.
- "From Order to Delivery: Pauline Boutal, Eaton's Catalogue Fashion Illustrator, 1918-1941". Canadian Museum of History.
- Johnson, Sandra (11 September 1971). "Art and Artists". Winnipeg Free Press. p. 3.
- Dorge, Claude (26 April 1975). "Theatre Honors Pauline Boutal". Winnipeg Free Press. p. 35.
- "Manitoba artist still active at 80". Brandon Sun. Brandon, Manitoba. The Canadian Press. 25 November 1976. p. 19.
- Prokosh, Kevin (25 April 2000). "Full Cercle". Winnipeg Free Press. p. D1.
- Kusch, Larry (23 September 2009). "Works by Manitoba artists gracing Government House". Winnipeg Free Press.
Nell Battle Lewis references
- Pyron, Darden Asbury (1985). "Nell Battle Lewis (1893 – 1956) and 'The New Southern Woman.'". Perspectives on the American South. Gordon and Breach. 3: 63–76. ISSN 0275-584X.
- Davis, Mollie C. (1991). "Lewis, Nell [Cornelia] Battle". NCpedia. State Library of North Carolina.
- McRae, Elizabeth Gillespie (July 2004). "To Save a Home: Nell Battle Lewis and the Rise of Southern Conservatism, 1941-1956". The North Carolina Historical Review. North Carolina Office of Archives and History. 81 (3): 261–287.
- Leidholdt, Alexander (2009). Battling Nell: The Life of Southern Journalist Cornelia Battle Lewis, 1893-1956. Louisiana State University Press. ISBN 978-0-8071-3670-6.
- Gillespie, Michele; McMillen, Sally G. (2015). North Carolina Women: Their Lives and Times. Volume 2. University of Georgia Press. pp. 140–. ISBN 978-0-8203-4002-9.
- "Nell Battle Lewis (1893-1956) Papers, 1865, 1898, 1920-1956". North Carolina Digital Collections. State Archives of North Carolina and State Library of North Carolina. June 1962.
Margaret Noble references
- Good, Dave (23 December 2009). "She Has 1984 on Vinyl". San Diego Reader.
- Morlan, Kinsee (24 November 2010). "Margaret Noble records, listens and revises". San Diego City Beat.
- Bennett, Kelly (14 November 2011). "Teachers of Math's Creative Side Win Global Prize". Voice of San Diego.
- Kucher, Karen (8 December 2011). "High Tech High Media Arts teachers take first in contest". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Carone, Angela (2 March 2012). "High Tech High Students Learn Art Of Storytelling With Sound". KPBS.
- Chute, James (24 March 2012). "Margaret Noble embarks on large-scale work for Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Chute, James (16 June 2012). "Artist Margaret Noble knows City Heights". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Chute, James (7 July 2012). "Artist Margaret Noble making sound decisions". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Stephens, AnnaMaria (July–August 2012). "The Exhibitionists". Riviera. Modern Luxury. p. 78-80.
- Carone, Angela (10 September 2012). "Growing Up in City Heights". studio360.
- Chute, James (11 August 2012). "Creating '44th and Landis' provided Margaret Noble with an art education". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "Eternal Recurrences: Multi-media experience to explore family histories". La Jolla Light. 1 August 2013.
- Punter, Jennie (Spring 2014). "Margaret Noble's Safer Is Better". Musicworks. No. 118.
- Chute, James (14 August 2014). "Margaret Noble first place winner in Athenaeum's annual juried exhibition". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Bowler, Matthew (17 December 2014). "Group Of San Diego Students Use Computer Code To Make Art". KPBS.
- Dan Blank (4 May 2015). ""I switched from chasing other people's sounds, into learning to cultivate my own." My interview with sound artist Margaret Noble".[self-published source]
Resources for editing
Alphabetical by first letter
- Draft:Nerissa Bretania Underwood -- Carmendarlene (talk)
- Draft:Toy Len Goon -- Worldbruce (talk), Jdmeyer111 (talk)
- Draft:Vera McGinnis -- Guy 713 (talk)
Alphabetical by first letter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ArtAndFeminism.|
- UCSD Library
- UCSD Parking - ample free parking is available on Saturday within a 10-15 minute walk of the library, but parking is restricted in some places; website also has information on alternative transportation
- Art+Feminism Meetup page
Participants - Sign Up Here!
Sign here to help us learn more about how users interact with Wikipedia! If you sign up, we can observe how your username uses the Wikimedia projects during and after this event. This will help us to better measure the effectiveness of this event and similar programs. This means that your publicly available activity and the information you share with us during this event may be processed by the Wikimedia Foundation, Art+Feminism, and the organizers of the local event, and may be transferred to or from the US and other countries that may not have the same level of privacy regulation that your country does. However, we will not share your information with third parties or publicly unless it's in aggregated or anonymized form.
Prior to the event:
- Do you have a Wikipedia User Name?
- No? Create a Wikipedia account
- Yes? Go to Step #2
- Sign up! Add your Wikipedia User Name to this section by clicking the blue button below (follow instructions). Your name will be added to the bottom of this page