Cronut is a croissant-doughnut pastry invented and trademarked by Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City. The pastry is made by frying a laminated dough in grape seed oil. The fried pastry is then sugared, filled, and glazed.
Chef Alina Eisenhauer of Sweet Kitchen & Bar in Worcester, Massachusetts, claimed that she was the first to fry croissant dough and has been serving her "dosants" since 2008. Baker Roy Auddino says he has been making "doughssants" since 1991.
Imitations and other takes on the cronut recipe have sprung up all over the United States and has also spread to many other countries including Australia, China and Japan. Make-at-home recipes have also been developed.
Due to its limited production and exclusivity, the Cronut spawned a black market with scalpers selling them for up to $100 each. The original pastry price is $5.
At the 2013 Canadian National Exhibition, bacteria from "cronuts" sold at Epic Burgers, a Toronto-based eatery, caused food poisoning in over 200 patrons. Toronto bakery Le Dolci supplied the "cronuts" and bacon jam topping responsible for the contamination.
The Swiss retailer Migros started selling "cronuts" in August 2013. Ansel had previously announced that he intended to register "cronut" as a Swiss trademark. In October 2013, Migros announced they will no longer be using the name, now a registered trademark of Ansel's bakery. Migros renamed their item the "Big O".
In July 2013, Dominique Ansel Bakery launched a series of charitable campaigns with their Cronut product to benefit the Food Bank for New York City. The Cronut Project campaign, sponsored by Dominique Ansel and three interns at BBH, benefited the Food Bank for New York City by raising over US$6,000 in six days with only twelve Cronuts.
In September 2013, Dominique Ansel Bakery partnered with Shake Shack to offer Cronut Hole Concretes, featuring Cronut Holes and brown butter caramel custard. Hundreds lined up as early as 4 a.m. for a chance to purchase one of these 1000 concretes. All proceeds, over $5,300, went to the NYPD Widows and Children Fund and Madison Square Park Conservancy.
At a live auction in October 2013 benefiting City Harvest (a New York City food rescue organization) Dominique Ansel, with auctioneer Nicholas Lowry and Questlove, auctioned a dozen freshly baked Cronuts for $14,000 in less than twenty minutes.
Writing for the Village Voice in May 2013, Tejal Rao proclaimed the cronut Ansel's "masterpiece." Late Night with Jimmy Fallon featured the dessert when guest Emma Roberts enjoyed a cronut during the episode.
- Katie Little (2013-06-07). "Cronut Mania Spawns Imitators and a Trademark Rush". Cnbc.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- USPTO. "Cronut". Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Introducing the Cronut, a Doughnut-Croissant Hybrid That May Very Well Change Your Life - Grub Street New York
- "Meet the Cronut: Croissant-Donut Hybrid Takes Pastry World by Storm - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Cronut™ 101 | Dominique Ansel Bakery". Dominiqueansel.com. 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Why we love ‘cronuts’; The devilish pull of the food portmanteau By Ben Zimmer June 09, 2013
- "The Cronut | The 25 Best Inventions of the Year 2013 | TIME.com". Techland.time.com. 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Chef Alina Eisenhauer's 'Dosants' Were Cronuts Before Cronuts Were Cronuts FOX News Magazine
- Battle for Pastry Columbus Dispatch
- "ミスドのクロワッサンドーナツ第2弾「フルーツシリーズ」を食べてみました". Gigazine.net. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "The ‘Cronut’…Er, That’s the ‘Doughssant’…Has Arrived In St. Louis « CBS St. Louis". Stlouis.cbslocal.com. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tenny Tatusian Cronut in LA: Semi Sweet Bakery to introduce the Crullant Los Angeles Times-Jun 27, 2013
- 'Cronut' craze has made it to Jacksonville June 28, 2013 FCN
- A homemade version of the Cronut Minneapolis Star Tribune-Jun 26, 2013
- "Good Food - From cronut to zonut, pastry fever comes to Sydney". Smh.com.au. 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Crazy For Cronuts: Picking Apart The Tasty Trend". NPR. 2013-07-13. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Cronut burgers not for sale, as CNE illness reports probed - Toronto - CBC News". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Maple-bacon jam source of Cronut Burger illness outbreak at CNE: Toronto Public Health | National Post". News.nationalpost.com. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "Streit um Cronut-Kopie der Migros". Berner Zeitung. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Migros New Yorker Cronut-Bäcker zwingt Grossverteiler in die Knie" (in German). persoenlich.com. 2013-10-20. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Want A Cronut? Donate To A Food Bank | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
- "The Cronut Project". Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Hundreds line up at Shake Shack for Cronut Hole Concrete, mix of frozen custard and cinnamon-sugar cronut holes". NY Daily News. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tishgart, Sierra (2013-10-23). "Someone Paid $14,000 for a Dozen Cronuts - Grub Street New York". Grubstreet.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Jen Chung in Food on Oct 23, 2013 1:41 pm (2013-10-23). "A Dozen Cronuts Sold For $14,000". Gothamist. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Tejal Rao (2013-05-10). "The Cronut Is a Doughnut-Croissant Love Child". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cronut.|