Elmers End station
Location of Elmers End in Greater London
|Number of platforms||3 (2 for National Rail; 1 for Tramlink)|
|Tramlink annual boardings and alightings|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 April 1864||Opened|
|29 May 1882||Hayes branch opens|
|13 May 1983||WSCR closes|
|31 May 1997||Addiscombe Line closes|
|29 May 2000||Tramlink services began|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Elmers End station is a railway station and tram terminus in Elmers End, South London, England. It is in the London Borough of Bromley, and Travelcard Zone 4 17 km (11 mi) south of London Charing Cross.
The railway through Elmers End was opened by the South Eastern Railway on 1 April 1864 as an extension of the Mid-Kent Line from New Beckenham to Addiscombe; there was a branch, opened on 29 May 1882 to Hayes at this station. The portion of the line to Addiscombe, which was originally named Croydon (Addiscombe Road), was closed in 1997 when Tramlink took over much of the trackbed from Elmers End.
The Hayes line service on the suburban commuter railway line between Hayes and London Charing Cross through Elmers End is still in use. The station is on Elmers End Road (A214), at the north-east corner of South Norwood Country Park.
Monday to Saturday daytimes there is a train every 15 minutes towards Central London either to Cannon Street or Charing Cross and to Hayes in the other direction. Evenings and Sundays there is a half-hourly service in each direction. Trams depart from the station every 12 minutes; this service falls to four trams per hour during the early morning and evenings. Each tram travels towards Croydon town centre and West Croydon tram stop, before travelling back to Elmers End.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
towards Wellesley Road
towards Therapia Lane
|Clock House||Network SouthEast
Woodside and South Croydon Railway
|Platform 1 Tramlink Route 1 and Tramlink Route 4 towards Elmers End via loop|
|Platform 2 Southeastern towards Charing Cross, Cannon Street|
|Platform 3 Southeastern towards Hayes|
- "Planning an accessible journey with Southeastern". Southeastern. May 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.[dead link]
- "Tram Stop Usage 2009-10 (FOI)" (XLS). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2009-2010. Transport for London. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Tramlink numbers 2010-2011" (PDF). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2010-2011. Transport for London. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "The Railways of Beckenham", Andrew Hajducki, 2011[page needed]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elmers End station.|