Eltham railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|17 March 1985||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Eltham railway station is a station in Eltham, South East London within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It is in Travelcard Zone 4. The station is operated by Southeastern. The station has two platforms, platform 1 for services to Central London and platform 2 for Dartford and Barnehurst.
Until 1985 there were two railway stations in Eltham on the Bexleyheath Line.
Eltham Well Hall (originally just 'Well Hall') which opened on 1 May 1895 was about 200 metres to the west of the current station on the other side of Well Hall Road.
Eltham Park station which opened 1 May 1908 was about 500 yards further east of the current station with its main entrance was adjacent to the London-bound platform and footpaths both to Westmount Road and Glenesk Road. An additional footpath linking the country-bound platform with Westmount Road was available at peak times.
Both railway stations were closed and replaced by the current station which opened on 17 March 1985 when a section of the A2 - the Rochester Way Relief Road - opened. A bus station located on a raft over the A2 was opened at the same time.
The platforms and buildings of the disused Eltham Park station still survive. There is no trace of Eltham Well Hall station the site of which is west of Well Hall Road where the A2 passes under the railway.
It is known for the Eltham Well Hall rail crash in 1972.
The station is located on Well Hall Road, half a mile away from Eltham High Street.
Eltham station is served by several Transport for London bus routes, the 132, 161, 162, 233, 286 and 314. These connect the station with Bexley, Bromley, Blackfen, Chislehurst, Greenwich, Mottingham, New Addington, New Eltham, Sidcup, Swanley and Woolwich.
All trains are operated by Southeastern.
The typical off-peak service from the station is:
- 2tph (trains per hour) to London Charing Cross
- 2tph to London Cannon Street
- 2tph to London Victoria via Denmark Hill
- 2tph to Barnehurst
- 4tph to Dartford
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
- "London and South East" (pdf). National Rail Enquiries. National Rail. September 2006. Archived from the original on 2009-03-06.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Glasspool, David. "Eltham Park". Retrieved 30 July 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eltham railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Eltham railway station from National Rail
- PDF (1.28 MB)
- Kent Rail article on Eltham Park station