From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
|Stylistic origins||Avant-garde music
|Cultural origins||Late 1960s United States|
|Typical instruments||Acoustic guitar, percussion|
|New Weird America|
Freak folk is a genre of folk music which uses mainly acoustic instrumentation, but introduces elements of avant-garde music, baroque pop, and psychedelic folk, often featuring uncommon sounds, lyrical themes, and vocal styles.
Notable artists 
- Andrew Neil (American Singer-Songwriter)
- Angels of Light
- Brian Smith
- Devendra Banhart
- Dirty Projectors
- The Dodos
- Faun Fables
- Greg Weeks
- Grizzly Bear
- Larkin Grimm
- Neutral Milk Hotel
- Rio en Medio
See also 
- Freak Folk Flies High by Derek Richardson at SFGate.com
- Hermes, Will (2006-06-18). "Summer of Love Redux". The New York Times.
- Poecke, N. van. The New Weird Generation
- Freak-Folk Genre
- Music identified as "Freak Folk"