January 8, 1935
Supriya Devi (Bengali: সুপ্রিয়া দেবী) (born 8 January 1935), also known as Supriya Choudhury (Bengali: সুপ্রিয়া চৌধুরী), is an Indian Bengali actress, who has acted in Bengali cinemas for more than 50 years. Her real name is Krishna and nickname Benu. She received Banga-Vibhushan, the highest civilian honour in West Bengal in 2011.In 2014, She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India, the fourth highest civilian award in India, for her contributions to the entertainment industry.
Supriya Devi was born in Yangon, Burma. Her father was noted lawyer Gopal Chandra Banerjee. During World War II, a large number of Indians, who had previously settled in Burma, returned to India. Supriya's family ended up settling in the southern part of Calcutta.
Supriya Devi was seven years old when she made her acting début in two plays directed by her father. She was a keen dancer since her childhood even receiving an award from Thakin Nu, the then Prime Minister of Burma, who was moved by one of her dance recitals. From her childhood her closest friend was Nihar Dutta who married Guha Thakurata Family and became Mrs.Nihar Guha Thakurata, an eminent Social Worker of Burma of her time.
In 1948, the Bannerjees left Burma for good and re-settled in Calcutta. They had been refugees in 1942 when the Japanese forces occupied Burma.The young Supriya and her family were forced to undertake an arduous trek on foot to the safety of Calcutta.
In Calcutta, she resumed her dance lessons and trained under Guru Muruthappan Pillai and later under Guru Prahlad Das. Supriya and her family were in friendly terms with Chandrabati Devi, a popular character actor, who was their neighbour. It was through the Chandrabati Devi’s inspiration and contacts that Supriya Devi stepped into the world of Bengali films.
In 1954, Supriya Devi married Bishwanath Choudhury and a few years later her only daughter Soma was born. She retired from films for a while before returning with a bang in the late 1950s. After doing some scintillating works with Uttam Kumar in some films, they had a relationship. Afterward, they lived together for several years.[unreliable source?]
- The Namesake (2006) .... Ashima's Grandmother
- Ekti Nadir Naam (2002)
- Shesh Thikana (2000) .... Sriradha's grandmother
- Honeymoon (1992)
- Iman Kalyan (1982)
- Kalankini Kankabati (1981)
- Mon Niye (1981)
- Debdas (1979) .... Chandramukhi
- Dui Purush (1978) .... Bimala
- Sandhya Raag (1977)
- Sanyasi Raja (1975)
- Jadi Jantem (1974) .... Sujata
- Bagh bandi khela(1975)
- Bon Palashir Padabali (1973) .... Padma
- Chiradiner (1969)
- Chowringhee (1968) .... Karabi Guha
- Teen Adhaya (1968)
- Kal Tumi Aleya (1966) .... Dr. Labanya Sarkar
- Shudhu Ekti Bachhar (1966)
- Aap Ki Parchhaiyan (1964) .... Asha
- Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein (1964) .... Meera
- Lal Patthar (1964)
- Begaana (1963)
- Surya Sikha (1963)
- Uttarayan (1963)
- Komal Gandhar (1961) .... Ansuya
- Madhya Rater Tara (1961)
- Meghe Dhaka Tara (1960) .... Nita
- Natun Fasal (1960)
- Suno Baranari (1960)
- Basu Paribar (1952) .... Sukhen's Sister
- Chatterji, Shoma (2003-08-01). "50 years of Supriya Devi". Screen Weekly. Indian Express Newspapers (Mumbai) Ltd. Retrieved 2006-12-03.[dead link]
- State honours nine with Banga-Vibhushan
- "Vidya Balan, Paresh Rawal get Padma Shri". Daily News and Analysis. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Biography for Supriya Choudhury". Supriya Choudhury. Internet Movie Database Inc. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- "Supriya Devi". upperstall.com. Retrieved Jan 2014.