May 30, 1971 |
Vilakkupara, near Punalur, Kollam, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Film sound design|
|Years active||1997 - present|
Resul Pookutty (born May 30, 1971) is an Indian film sound designer, sound editor and mixer. He, along with Richard Pryke and Ian Tapp won the Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing for the film Slumdog Millionaire. He has worked in Hollywood, Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam films.
Born in a family in Vilakkupara, near Punalur about 58 km from Kollam, Kerala. He was the youngest of eight children born to an impoverished family. His father was a private bus ticket checker. Pookutty had to walk 6 km to the nearest school and study in the light of a kerosene lamp as his village had no electricity.
He pursued a career in law from Govt.Law college Trivandrum. However he was unable to complete it. He is a 1995 graduate from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.And later in 2011 June he wrote the remaining LLB exam papers at trivandrum Govt.law college.And he said that it was Resul's father's desire to make him an advocate.
Pookutty moved to Mumbai after his graduation. He termed it as "a natural immigration as a graduate of the institute." He pointed out that "Ninety-five per cent of the technicians of the Mumbai film industry are alumni of FTII, Pune." Pookutty made his debut in sound design with the 1997 film Private Detective: Two Plus Two Plus One, directed by Rajat Kapoor. He got his big break with the critically acclaimed 2005 film Black, directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. He subsequently engineered sound for major productions like Musafir (2004), Zinda (2006), Traffic Signal (2007), Gandhi, My Father (2007), Saawariya (2007) and Dus Kahaniyaan (2007).
Pookutty is married to Shadia. They have a son Rayan and a daughter, Salna.
|2014 - Kochadaiiyaan
|2014 - Blemished Light
2014 ankhon dekhi-hindi
- 2012 : Zee Cine Award for Best Sound Design for his work in Ra.One.
- 2010 : National Film Award for Best Audiography for his work in Pazhassi Raja
- 2010 : Honorary Doctorate (D.Litt) by Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit
- 2010 : Padma Shri by Government of India
- 2009 : Asianet Film Awards - Special Honour Jury Award
- 2009 : Chakkulathamma Swaravarsha Award
- 2009 : Bahadoor Award
- 2009 : Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing along with Ian Tapp and Richard Pryke for his work in Slumdog Millionaire.
- 2009 : BAFTA Award for Best Sound along with Glenn Freemantle, Richard Pryke, Tom Sayers and Ian Tapp for his work in Slumdog Millionaire.
- 2005 : Zee Cine Award for Best Audiography for his work in Musafir.
- It's been an unbelievable ride' The Times of India, January 24, 2009.
- "Resul - the other Indian Oscar nominee". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 23 January 2009.
- K.K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (23 September 2005). "Directing sound". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 23 January 2009.
- "The 81st Academy Awards (2009) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Indian Express article
- Tough journey for sound wizard Resul Pookutty The Economic Times, February 24, 2009.
- Sen, Zinia (25 February 2009). "Pookutty: What do I dream about?". The Times Of India.
- "There is no award like a National Award: Resul Pookutty". The Times of India. 15 September 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Mohanlal, Pookutty get D.Litt.". Kochi: The Hindu. 2010-03-17.
- "Nobel laureate Venky, Ilayaraja, Rahman, Aamir to receive Padma awards". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Pazhassi Raja selected as best film". Thiruvananthapuram: The Hindu. 4 January 2010.
- ["http://entertainment.gaeatimes.com/2009/12/04/resul-pookutty-wins-chakkulathamma-swaravarsha-puraskaram-66879/ "Chakulathamma Swarvarsha Puraskaram for Resul"].
- "Bahadur Award 2009 for Resul".
- "Slumdog gets 10 Oscar noms". Rediff News. Retrieved 23 January 2009.
- IANS. "Resul Pookutty: The other Indian at the Oscars". Sify Movies. Retrieved 23 January 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Resul Pookutty.|
- Official Webpage
- Resul Pookutty at the Internet Movie Database
- Resul Pookutty - Profile at Variety
- Resul Pookutty - Filmography and Profile
- Resul returns after winning the Oscar
- Sound Resolution - Resul Pookutty talks about Resul Pookutty Foundation - Fried Eye