World Vegan Day
|World Vegan Day|
|Next time||1 November 2014|
World Vegan Day is an annual event celebrated on 1 November, by vegans around the world. The Day was established in 1994 by Louise Wallis, then President & Chair of The Vegan Society UK to commemorate its 50th anniversary. Vegans across the world join together to celebrate animal rights. Animal advocates hold street stalls about veganism, host vegan potluck events, plant memorial trees for World Vegan Day and give away animal friendly vegan baking.
Speaking in 2011 Wallis said: "We knew the Society had been founded in November 1944, but didn’t know the exact date, so I decided to go for the 1st November. Partly because I liked the idea of this date coinciding with Samhain/Halloween and the Day of the Dead - traditional times for feasting and celebration. Both apt and auspicious."
- 1 By Year
- 2 By Location
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Global lists of World Vegan Month (November) Events
- Sat 3 Nov Tallinn Vegan Fair. Tallinn, Estonia
- Sun 11 Nov Melbourne World Vegan Day, Princes Park, Melbourne, Australia
2011 World Vegan Month Events - Site hosted by The Vegan Society (UK) - Alphabetically by continent
- Sun 06 Nov Melbourne World Vegan Day, Melbourne, Australia
2010 The Vegan Society has a calendar over events related to veganism at The Vegan Society's Calendar.
- Sun 31 Oct Melbourne World Vegan Day, Melbourne, Australia
- Sat 29 Oct West Midlands Vegan Festival. Wolverhampton, UK
- Sun 30 Oct ChicagoVeg World Vegan Day Celebration. Chicago, USA
- Sun 6 November World Vegan Day Festival, Melbourne, Australia
- Mon 1 Nov Festive World Vegan Day Dinner, Shanghai, China
- Mon 1 Nov World Vegan Day, Kypselis, Greece
- Mon 1 Nov World Vegan Day, Los Angeles, USA
- Tues 1st Nov "Fun Hat Table Quiz for World Vegan Day", Dublin, Ireland
- Sat 5 November  Chicago VeganMania, Chicago, IL
- Sat 6 Nov Lincoln Veggie Fayre, Lincoln, UK
- Sun 7 Nov Cruelty-Free Festival, Sydney, Australia
- Sat 13 Nov West Lancashire Vegan & Fairtrade Fair, Nr.Blackpool, UK
- Thu 25 Nov Vegan Thanksgiving*, Los Angeles, USA
- Sun 28 Nov World Vegan Day 2010, Paris, France
- NOTE: FARMUSA sponsors globally the "Gentle Thanksgiving", previously sponsored as "Vegetarian Thanksgiving" and long sponsored by local vegetarian groups, sometimes with local religious congregations, at times with local Councils of Churches.
Since 2003 World Vegan Day has been celebrated in Melbourne on the last Sunday of October. The event was initiated by members of the vegan social group Vegans Unite, and is now organised by a committee affiliated with Vegetarian Victoria. Featured stalls include Lentil as Anything, Invita Living Foods, Animals Australia, Aduki Independent Press, Eco-shout Melbourne, Vegan Society of Australia, ALV, the Melbourne University Food Co-op, Lush Australia, eco store, and many more.
- Vegan Festival in Adelaide celebrates World Vegan Day every year and takes place on Sunday in November. The first Vegan Festival was held on 4th Nov 2007. The event is possible because of many individual volunteers and members of various organisations. Kas Ward created Vegan Festival in Adelaide and is the Main Event Coordinator.
- M.A.D. FREE Weekend in Adelaide celebrates World Vegan Day in November. First M.A.D. Free Weekend – 13–15 November 2009 at Bliss Organic Cafe.
- Invercargill Vegan Society in Invercargill New Zealand has celebrated World Vegan Day since 2011. The world's southernmost Animal Rights group, for World Vegan Day 2012 they gave away tofu to butchers, placed posters around their city, gave away Vegan muffins downtown and had a group potluck dinner. World Vegan Day 2013 celebrations included butchershop visits, vegan baking and soymilk giveaways downtown. Vegan activists were included on the CUE TV's news bulletin and gave a soft toy dog to an animal skin preserving factory. A potluck dinner event was held at the Invercargill Public Library as the sun set on World Vegan Day 2013 .
- 16th Annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival - October 29 and 30 (all day long), free vegan food (many thousands of attendees), sponsored annually and currently by the Boston Vegetarian Society.
- 17th Annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival - October 27 and 28 (all day long), free vegan food (many thousands of attendees), sponsored annually and currently by the Boston Vegetarian Society.
- Uruguayan Vegan and Vegetarian Union monthly meeting - End-of-October monthly meeting (18:00hrs), free vegan food, information, gathering.
- INVERCARGILL VEGAN SOCIETY World Vegan Day 2011, Invercargill Vegan Society World Vegan Day 2011 memorial tree planting.
- INVERCARGILL VEGAN SOCIETY World Vegan Day 2013, INVERCARGILL VEGAN SOCIETY World Vegan Day 2013.
- World Vegan Day Australia (Melbourne) lists events from 2003 through 2011.
- IVU article reference to M.A.D. FREE weekend
- INVERCARGILL VEGAN SOCIETY World Vegan Day 2012 World Vegan Day 2012
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2011)|
- World Vegan Day Australia Official site
- Unofficial UK-based page for World Vegan Day
- World Vegan Day Germany
- Vegan Festival Adelaide South Australia
- Facebook's World Vegan Day event page for 2010 event in UK
- World Vegan Day on Facebook
- World Vegan Day on the Animal Rights Blog at about.com
- Vegan Earth Day
- annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival coincides closely with World Vegan Day