Baku State University
Bakı Dövlət Universiteti
Baku State University (BSU); (Azerbaijani: Bakı Dövlət Universiteti (BDU)) is a public university located in Baku, Azerbaijan. Established in 1919 by the Parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, the University started with faculties of history and philology, physics and mathematics, and law and medicine, with an initial enrollment of 1094. The first rector of BSU was V.I.Razumovsky, a former professor of surgery at Kazan University.
In 1930, the government ordered the University shut down in accordance with a reorganization of higher education, and the University was replaced with the Supreme Pedagogical Institute. However, in 1934 the University was reestablished again, and continued to work through the difficult years of World War II experiencing a shortage of faculty members.
By its 40th anniversary in 1959, the University already had 13 faculties. The Azerbaijan Medical University and Azerbaijan State Economic University were both spun-offs of the original respective faculties at BSU.
Among the graduates of BSU were two former presidents of Azerbaijan, Abulfaz Elchibey and Heydar Aliyev. The former graduated from the Faculty of Arabic Language and Literature, while the latter, who dominated Azerbaijan's political life for over 30 years, from the Faculty of History. Nobel Prize-winning physicist Lev Landau studied at BSU between 1922 and 1924.
BSU is the only university from Azerbaijan Republic ranked by international ranking organizations, such as University Ranking by Academic Performance and currently ranks at 1872 in the University Ranking by Academic Performance.
BSU was established on September 1, 1919 by the decision of the Parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic. The University was established as a part of 4 faculties (history and philology, physics and mathematics, lawing, and medicine). The first rector of the University was the famous surgeon V. I. Razumovsky.
Among the leading professors in 1920-40 were Azerbaijani writer Abdurrahim bek Haqverdiyev, Orientalist Professor P.K. Juze, Professor A.O. Makovelski, Professor A.O. Mishel and other scholars. During that period the administration of the university invited to Baku such teachers as N.Y. Marr, V.V. Bartold, the academician of the Eastern Science Academy Fuad bek Kuprulluzade.
In 1930 the university was liquidated according to the decision made by Council of the People's Commissar on reorganization. The High Pedagogical Institute was created. Only in 1934 the state university resumed its activity and very soon became the republic's scientific-pedagogical center. Despite the great shortage of university teachers because most of teachers went to the Second World War, the university managed to keep its leading position. In 1945 the teachers took an active part in founding the Azerbaijan Academy of Science. Most of the republic's universities — such as Azerbaijan Medical University, Azerbaijan University of Economy, Azerbaijan State Pedagogical University and others — were founded on the basis of Baku State University.
The years after 1969 can be considered as the years of development in the direction of knowledge and science. Covering a wide historical period, in those years there were founded faculties on modern specialties, departments and about 30 scientific research laboratories started. As a result, there was created a strong assurance of future development. University began to develop further after Heydar Aliyev came to power. Modern specialities, departments and scientific laboratories started to operate at university. With its rich historical background, Baku State University has always been a major scientific and educational center of Azerbaijan. Famous scientists, intellectuals and politicians and Azerbaijan's outstanding politician, Heydar Aliyev graduated from Baku State University. Currently,[when?] Baku State University has 16 majors with 55 bachelor and 153 master's degrees.
The 100th anniversary of Baku State University was commemorated throughout the 2019 year not only in Azerbaijan, but also in Vienna, Austria (September 2019) and at the headquarter of UNESCO in Paris (June 2019). A special medial in honor of the 100th anniversary of BSU - “The 100th jubilee (1919-2019) medal of Baku State University” was issued by the Presidential Decree in November 2019, and 113 people were awarded this Medal.
Through time, the university builds its international relations. Currently BSU has membership in various associations and institutions as Association of Universities of Eurasia, which unites most universities of the former USSR. Between 2002-2004, BSU led the Association of Universities of Black Sea States. Furthermore, the university has signed agreements on scientific and technical co-operation, student-teacher exchange programs with Moscow State University, Middle East Technical University, Nice-Sofia Antipole University, Indiana University, Kyiv National University, Vienna University and other high-ranking universities.
As a result of these collaborations, the university holds joint scientific conferences, workshops as well as publishing of textbooks.
Faculties and institutes
- Applied Mathematics and Economical Cybernetics
- Mechanics and Mathematics
- Ecology and Soil Science
- International Relations and Economics
- Oriental Studies
- Social Sciences and Psychology
- Scientific Research Institute of Applied Mathematics
- Institute of Problems of Theoretical Physics
See for more information on:
- Abulfaz Elchibey - 2nd President of Azerbaijan
- Heydar Aliyev - 3rd President of Azerbaijan
- Lev Landau - theoretical physicist
- Mikayil Jabbarov - current Minister of Economу of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Anar Baghirov - lawyer
- Intigam Aliyev - human rights defender
- Ali Omarov - Prosecutor General of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Aslan Aslanov - Director General of the Azerbaijan State Telegraph Agency
- Eldaniz Mammadov - Azerbaijani scientist in the field of library science, bibliography science and bibliology (book science)
- Vougar Aslanov - writer and journalist
- Rauf Mirgadirov - journalist
- Arif Yunus - historian
- Maharram Gasimli - literature scholar and folklorist
- Alec Rasizade - Azeri-American professor of history and political science
- "History of Baku State University" (in Russian). Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- "2014-2015 RANKING BY COUNTRY". Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- "Baku State University, History".
- "Centenary of Baku State University celebrated in Vienna". Baku State University. Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- "100th anniversary of Baku State University celebrated at UNESCO headquarters in Paris". Baku State University. Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- "Establishment of the anniversary medal of the Republic of Azerbaijan "100 years of the Baku State University (1919-2019)"". Official website of the President of Azerbaijan (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- "Ilham Aliyev attended a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of Baku State University". Official website of the President of Azerbaijan (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 2019-12-10.
- "Tüm Üyeler" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- "Eldaniz E. Mammadov. Lecturers. Department of the "Library science" of Baku State University". Archived from the original on 2019-05-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baku State University.|
- Official website (in Azerbaijani, Russian, and English)