Baku State University
Bakı Dövlət Universiteti
Baku State University (BSU; Azerbaijani: Bakı Dövlət Universiteti) is a public university located in Baku, Azerbaijan. Established in 1919 by the Parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, the University started with faculties of history and philology, physics and mathematics, and law and medicine, with an initial enrollment of 1094. The first rector of BSU was V.I.Razumovsky, a former professor of surgery at Kazan University.
In 1930, the government ordered the University shut down in accordance with a reorganization of higher education, and the University was replaced with the Supreme Pedagogical Institute. However, in 1934 the University was reestablished again, and continued to work through the difficult years of World War II experiencing a shortage of faculty members.
By its 40th anniversary in 1959, the University already had 13 faculties. The Azerbaijan Medical University and Azerbaijan State Economic University were both spun-offs of the original respective faculties at BSU.
Among the graduates of BSU were two former presidents of Azerbaijan, Abulfaz Elchibey and Heydar Aliyev. The former graduated from the Faculty of Arabic Language and Literature, while the latter, who dominated Azerbaijan's political life for over 30 years, from the Faculty of History. Nobel Prize-winning physicist Lev Landau studied at BSU between 1922 and 1924.
BSU is the only university from Azerbaijan Republic ranked by international ranking organizations, such as University Ranking by Academic Performance and currently ranks at 1872 in the University Ranking by Academic Performance.
BSU was established on September 1, 1919 by the decision of the Parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic. The University was established as a part of 4 faculties (history and philology, physics and mathematics, lawing, and medicine). The first rector of the University was the famous surgeon V. I. Razumovsky.
Among the leading professors in 1920-40 were Azerbaijani writer Abdurrahim bek Haqverdiyev, Orientalist Professor P.K. Juze, Professor A.O. Makovelski, Professor A.O. Mishel and other scholars. During that period the administration of the university invited to Baku such teachers as N.Y. Marr, V.V. Bartold, the academician of the Eastern Science Academy Fuad bek Kuprulluzade.
In 1930 the university was liquidated according to the decision made by Council of the People's Commissar on reorganization. The High Pedagogical Institute was created. Only in 1943 the state university resumed its activity and very soon became the republic's scientific-pedagogical center. Despite the great shortage of university teachers because most of teachers went to the Second World War, the university managed to keep its leading position. In 1945 the teachers took an active part in founding the Azerbaijan Academy of Science. Most of the republic's universities — such as Azerbaijan Medical University, Azerbaijan University of Economy, Azerbaijan State Pedagogical University and others — were founded on the basis of Baku State University.
The years after 1969 can be considered as the years of development in the direction of knowledge and science. Covering a wide historical period, in those years there were founded faculties on modern specialties, departments and about 30 scientific research laboratories started. As a result, there was created a strong assurance of future development. University began to develop further after Heydar Aliyev came to power. Modern specialities, departments and scientific laboratories started to operate at university. With its rich historical background, Baku State University has always been a major scientific and educational center of Azerbaijan. Famous scientists, intellectuals and politicians and Azerbaijan's outstanding politician, Heydar Aliyev graduated from Baku State University. Currently, Baku State University has 16 majors with 55 bachelor and 153 master's degrees. From 2018,September offical instagram accaunt of Baku State University is @baki.dovlet.universiteti
Through time, the university builds its international relations. Currently BSU has membership in various associations and institutions as Association of Universities of Eurasia, which unites most universities of the former USSR. Between 2002-2004, BSU led the Association of Universities of Black Sea States. Furthermore, the university has signed agreements on scientific and technical co-operation, student-teacher exchange programs with Moscow State University, Middle East Technical University, Nice-Sofia Antipole University, Indiana University, Kyiv National University, Vienna University and other high-ranking universities.
As a result of these collaborations, the university holds joint scientific conferences, workshops as well as publishing of textbooks.
- Indiana University
- Minnesota Duluth University
- Moscow State University
- Moscow State International Relations Institute
- Saint-Petersburg State University
- Kazan State University
- Russian Academy of Sciences
- Organic and Physics Chemistry Scientific Center
- Novosibirsk State University
- Ufa State University
- Chelyabinsk State University
- Astrakhan State University
- Tbilisi State University
- Belarusian State University
- Uzbek National University
- Aterau State University
- Social Sciences Institute named after Heydar Aliyev
- Kyiv National University
- Donetsk National University
- Dnepropetrovsk National University
- Lviv National University
- Free Berlin University
- Bonn University
- Vienne University
- Nice Sophia-Antipolis University
- Grenoble University
- Rotterdam Erasmus University
- Uppsala University
- Genoa University
- Warsaw University
- Konstansa-Ovidius University
- Bucharest University
- Ployeshti Oil and Gas University
- Bucharest National University on Laser, Plasma and Radiation Physics
- Kapo-Distrian Athens National University
- Bilkend University
- Ankara University
- Istanbul University
- Ortadoğu Technical University
- Kirikkala University
- Caucasian Kars University
- Chanaqqala University
- Tehran University
- Tabriz University
- Qorqan University
- Gilan University
- Mazandaran University
- Sana University
- Cairo University
- Al-Azhar University
Academic Council of Baku State University aims to contribute to the education, its quality, representation of university as well as establishment of international relations. The council mainly focuses on the following issues:
- Focus on the development of University in various directions
- Formation of relevant suggestions on regulations and university foundation base
- confirmation of regulations and instructions
- Definition of plan for student acceptance
- Formation of annual budget of BSU
- Confirmation of educational plans
- Assigning titles
- Allocation of professor-consultants
Faculties and institutes
- Applied Mathematics and Economical Cybernetics
- Mechanics and Mathematics
- Ecology and Soil Science
- International Relations and Economics
- Oriental Studies
- Social Sciences and Psychology
- Library Studies — the only library school in Azerbaijan
- Scientific Research Institute of Applied Mathematics
- Institute of Problems of Theoretical Physics
- Intigam Aliyev (born 1962), human rights defender
- Anar Baghirov (born 1976), lawyer
- Lev Landau (born 1908), theoretical physicist.
- Ali Omarov (born 1947), Prosecutor General of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Aslan Aslanov (born 1951), Director General of the Azerbaijan State Telegraph Agency
- Vougar Aslanov (born 1964), writer and journalist
- Rauf Mirgadirov (born 1961), journalist
- Arif Yunus (born 1955), historian
- Maharram Gasimli (born 1958), literature scholar and folklorist
- Alec Rasizade (born 1947), American historian and political scientist
- "History of Baku State University" (in Russian). Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- "2014-2015 RANKING BY COUNTRY". Retrieved 2015-07-18.
- "Baku State University, History".
- "Baku State University, International Relations". Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- Kniffel, Leonard (June 2014). "Building a pipeline to education in Azerbaijan: How library service is burgeoning the oil-rich nation". American Libraries. Media Source Inc. 45 (6): 46–49.
- "Tüm Üyeler" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2015-07-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baku State University.|
- Official website (in Azerbaijani) (in Russian) (in English)