Combativity award in the Tour de France
|Sport||Road bicycle racing|
|Competition||Tour de France|
|Given for||Most aggressive rider|
|Local name||Le Prix de la combativité (French)|
|Editions||64 known (as of 2016)|
|First winner||Wout Wagtmans (NED)|
Eddy Merckx (BEL)
|Most recent||Peter Sagan (SVK)|
Since 1952, after every stage the most combative cyclist was given an award, and an overall competition was recorded. At the end of the 1956 Tour de France, André Darrigade was named the most attacking cyclist. At this point, the award was given the same importance as the award for the cyclist with the most bad luck, Picot in 1956.
In 1961, the award was not given to an individual cyclist, but to an entire team, the regional team West-South-West.
The system of the award has changed during the years. Historically, riders accumulated points, and the cyclist with the most points at the end of the Tour was declared winner. The cyclist did not have to finish the race, for example Cyrille Guimard in 1972 did not finish, but still was given the combativity award.
In the current system that has been active since 2003, a jury of eight specialists in cycling, selects the most combative cyclist of each stage (excluding time trials). There is no jersey for the most combative rider of the previous stage, but he can be recognized by the race number worn on his back: it consists of a white number on a red background instead of the usual black on white (since 1998).
At the end of the Tour de France (usually during the last stage), a "super-combativity award" is given to the most combative cyclist of the race. The combativity award is currently sponsored by Antargaz, and the prize money is €20,000.
As far as known, there has been 61 combativity classification or super-combativity award winners since 1953.
|2003||Vinokourov, AlexanderAlexander Vinokourov (KAZ)||Team Telekom|
|2004||Virenque, RichardRichard Virenque (FRA)||Quick-Step–Davitamon|
|2005||Pereiro, OscarÓscar Pereiro (ESP)||Phonak|
|2006||Fuente, David de laDavid de la Fuente (ESP)||Saunier Duval–Prodir|
|2007||Txurruka, AmetsAmets Txurruka (ESP)||Euskaltel–Euskadi|
|2008||Chavanel, SylvainSylvain Chavanel (FRA)||Cofidis|
|2010||Chavanel, SylvainSylvain Chavanel (FRA)||Quick-Step|
|2011||Roy, JérémyJérémy Roy (FRA)||FDJ|
|2012||Anker Sørensen, ChrisChris Anker Sørensen (DEN)||Saxo Bank–Tinkoff Bank|
|2013||Riblon, ChristopheChristophe Riblon (FRA)||Ag2r–La Mondiale|
|2014||De Marchi, AlessandroAlessandro De Marchi (ITA)||Cannondale|
|2015||Bardet, RomainRomain Bardet (FRA)||AG2R La Mondiale|
|2016||Sagan, PeterPeter Sagan (SVK)||Tinkoff–Saxo|
- "Tour de France: An alternative view of the ultimate road race". The Independent. 6 July 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2009.
- "Premies voor Van der Pluym en Stolker". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 14 July 1956. p. 11. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "Klassementen". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 30 July 1956. p. 5. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- Eddy van der Mark. "Tour Xtra:Combativity Classification". CvccBike. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- "Zoetemelk strijdlustigste". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 23 July 1979. p. 13. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "Tour de France 2008 - Rules". ASO. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- "Règlement de l'Épreuve - Article 10: Maillots des leaders" (PDF) (in French). ASO. 17 July 2008. p. 61. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
Par ailleurs, le coureur combatif sera identifié par deux dossards spécifiques avec chiffres blancs sur fond rouge.
- Nick Brownlee (23 July 2013). Vive le Tour!: Wiggo, and the Amazing Tales of the Tour de France. Pavilion Books. p. 75. ISBN 978-1-909396-34-0.
- "Règlement de l'Épreuve - Article 24f: Prix de la Combativité" (PDF) (in French). ASO. 17 July 2008. p. 69. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- "Liste des prix/Prize money - Article 7. Classement de la combativité/Most aggressive rider classification" (PDF). ASO. 17 July 2008. p. 79. Retrieved 24 April 2009.
- "Le Tour en chiffres" (PDF) (in French). Amaury Sport Organisation. p. 126. Retrieved 3 July 2009.
- "Nederlandse ploeg won in totaal f 70.000 aan prijzen en premies". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 27 July 1953. p. 5. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Bobet onbetwist winnaar van Tour de France". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 2 August 1954. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "Klassementen". Leeuwarder Courant (in Dutch). 1 August 1955. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2009.
- "Cyclisme - Tour - Sorensen, le Super-Combatif". Lequipe.fr. 2012-07-21. Retrieved 2013-07-23.