Epping Forest (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Epping Forest in Essex.
Location of Essex within England.
|Electorate||72,212 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Waltham Abbey|
|Member of parliament||Eleanor Laing (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
- 1 Boundaries
- 2 Political geography
- 3 Members of Parliament
- 4 Elections
- 5 Graphical representation
- 6 See also
- 7 Notes and references
1974–1983: The Urban Districts of Chigwell, Epping, and Waltham Holy Cross, and in the Rural District of Epping and Ongar the civil parishes of Epping Upland, Theydon Bois, and Theydon Garnon.
1983–1997: The District of Epping Forest wards of Broadway, Buckhurst Hill East, Buckhurst Hill West, Chigwell Row, Chigwell Village, Debden Green, Epping Hemnall, Epping Lindsey, Grange Hill, High Beach, Loughton Forest, Loughton Roding, Loughton St John's, Loughton St Mary's, Paternoster, Theydon Bois, Waltham Abbey East, and Waltham Abbey West.
1997–2010: The District of Epping Forest wards of Broadway, Buckhurst Hill East, Buckhurst Hill West, Chigwell Row, Chigwell Village, Debden Green, Epping Hemnall, Epping Lindsey, Grange Hill, High Beach, Loughton Forest, Loughton Roding, Loughton St John's, Loughton St Mary's, North Weald Bassett, Paternoster, Theydon Bois, Waltham Abbey East, and Waltham Abbey West.
2010–present: The District of Epping Forest wards of Broadley Common, Epping Upland and Nazeing, Buckhurst Hill East, Buckhurst Hill West, Chigwell Row, Chigwell Village, Epping Hemnall, Epping Lindsey and Thornwood Common, Grange Hill, Loughton Alderton, Loughton Broadway, Loughton Fairmead, Loughton Forest, Loughton Roding, Loughton St John’s, Loughton St Mary’s, Theydon Bois, Waltham Abbey High Beach, Waltham Abbey Honey Lane, Waltham Abbey North East, Waltham Abbey Paternoster, and Waltham Abbey South West.
The constituency comprises Loughton, Epping, Waltham Abbey, Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill, Theydon Bois, part of North Weald, small intermediate villages and almost the whole of the ancient Forest itself, except those parts which were transferred to Greater London in 1965.
When Epping Forest was first created, it was more favourable to the Conservatives than the old Epping seat, as it lost the new town of Harlow (inside the old Epping Rural District) and gained the more Conservative Chigwell Urban District. During the Thatcher period the Labour Party's vote was crushed. Even though the Liberals managed to move into second place, their vote did little more than follow national trends and as soon as 1987 their votes dropped away as well.
Members of Parliament
The constituency was created in 1974 from the seats of Epping and Chigwell — both of these (then one constituency, Epping) were represented by Winston Churchill throughout his tenure as Prime Minister during World War II. The Conservative Party has won in Epping Forest in every election since the creation of the constituency, and the present MP is the Conservative Eleanor Laing, who has been a Deputy Speaker of the House to John Bercow since October 2013.
|Feb 1974||Sir John Biggs-Davison||Conservative|
|1988 by-election||Steve Norris||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Jon Whitehouse||2,884||5.7||-1.3|
|Young People's||Thomas Hall||110||0.2||+0.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Jon Whitehouse||3,448||7.0||−14.5|
|Young People's||Mark Wadsworth||80||0.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Ann Haigh||10,017||21.5||+3.4|
|English Democrat||Kim Sawyer||285||0.6||−0.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Heavens||8,279||18.5||−0.1|
|English Democrat||Robin Tilbrook||631||1.4||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Heavens||7,884||18.6||+5.2|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen Robinson||7,074||13.3||−3.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Beryl Austen||9,265||17.0||−2.4|
|Epping Forest Residents Association||Andrew O'Brien||552||1.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social and Liberal Democrats||Andrew J. Thompson||8,679||26.0||+6.6|
|Green||Andrew M. Simms||672||2.0|
|National Front||Tina Wingfield||286||0.6||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||Screaming Lord Sutch||208||0.6||N/A|
|Rainbow Alliance – Change the World||Jackie Moore||33||0.1||N/A|
|Vote no Belsen for South Africans||Brian G. Goodier||16||0.0||N/A|
|Social Democratic||Michael Pettman||11,995||24.8||+12.0|
Elections in the 1970s
|Labour||William David Shepherd||13,994||27.4||−5.9|
|Liberal||David Monro Kitching||6,528||12.8||−6.3|
|National Front||Brian Clive Wilkins||1,110||2.2||N/A|
|Labour||Stanley James Palfreman||15,618||33.3||+2.2|
|Liberal||Derek Frederick John Wood||8,952||19.1||−3.0|
|Labour||William James Sheaff||16,123||31.1||−14.7|
|Liberal||Derek Frederick John Wood||11,478||22.1||+22.1|
Notional results (before 1974)
|Labour||SDP||Social and Liberal Democrats||Conservative|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- 2010 election result
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
| UK Parliament constituency
Epping, Theydon Bois, Waltham Abbey, Buckhurst Hill, Chigwell, Loughton
1974 – present