North West Cambridgeshire (UK Parliament constituency)
|North West Cambridgeshire|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of North West Cambridgeshire in Cambridgeshire.
Location of Cambridgeshire within England.
|Electorate||89,419 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Shailesh Vara (Conservative)|
|Created from||Huntingdon, Peterborough|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
North West Cambridgeshire is a county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
This safe Conservative seat includes a substantial part of the cathedral city of Peterborough, specifically the suburban areas to the south of the river Nene and west of the Soke parkway, as well as several rural wards from the historic county of Huntingdonshire. While both Labour and the Liberal democrats are competitive in some wards at local elections, the opposition is evenly divided, and there is a strong Conservative presence in all parts of the seat, ensuring a large Tory majority.
1997-2010: The District of Huntingdonshire wards of Bury, Earith, Elton, Farcet, Ramsey, Sawtry, Somersham, Stilton, Upwood and the Raveleys, Warboys, and Yaxley, and the City of Peterborough wards of Barnack, Fletton, Glinton, Northborough, Orton Longueville, Orton Waterville, Stanground, and Wittering.
2010-present: The District of Huntingdonshire wards of Earith, Ellington, Elton and Folksworth, Ramsey, Sawtry, Somersham, Stilton, Upwood and the Raveleys, Warboys and Bury, and Yaxley and Farcet, and the City of Peterborough wards of Barnack, Fletton, Glinton and Wittering, Northborough, Orton Longueville, Orton Waterville, Orton with Hampton, Stanground Central, and Stanground East.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Peterborough and Huntingdon. It was won in 1997 by Sir Brian Mawhinney, former Conservative MP for Peterborough (which was gained on that occasion by Labour). The Conservative Shailesh Vara has represented the seat since 2005.
Members of Parliament
|part of Huntingdon and Peterborough prior to 1997|
|1997||Sir Brian Mawhinney||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Bridget Smith||3,168||5.0||-0.7|
|UKIP||Peter Reeve ||12,275||20.1||+11.8|
|Labour||Nick Thulbourn ||10,927||17.9||+0.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Nicholas Sandford||3,479||5.7||−16.2|
|Christian Peoples||Fay Belham||190||0.3||+0.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Kevin Wilkins||12,748||21.9||−1.0|
|English Democrat||Stephen Goldspink||1,407||2.4||+2.4|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||John Souter||11,232||22.9||+7.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Alastair Taylor||6,957||15.8||+0.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Barbara McCoy||7,388||15.1||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)
- "Candidates standing in the General Election in Cambridgeshire".
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Cambridgeshire North West parliamentary constituency - Election 2015 - BBC News". Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "CAMBRIDGESHIRE NORTH WEST 2015". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk.
- http://www.libdems.org.uk/general_election_candidates#East of England
- "Former Labour Party member to stand for Greens in the general election". www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk.
- Cambridgeshire North West, BBC News
- Cambridgeshire North-West, UKPollingReport
- Percentage changes based on notional results due to boundary changes