South Basildon and East Thurrock (UK Parliament constituency)
|South Basildon and East Thurrock|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South Basildon and East Thurrock in Essex
Location of Essex within England
|Electorate||71,819 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Laindon, Pitsea, Stanford-le-Hope|
|Member of Parliament||Stephen Metcalfe (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Basildon, Billericay and Thurrock|
The seat was created for the 2010 general election following a review of the Parliamentary representation of Essex by the Boundary Commission for England. It was formed from the majority of the abolished constituency of Basildon, but excluding the centre of Basildon itself, together with the town of Pitsea from the abolished Billericay constituency.
Its predecessor seat, Basildon, was a much-referenced bellwether seat, having consistently voted for the most successful party (in terms of number of seats) in each election since its 1974 creation. However, the boundaries of the new South Basildon and East Thurrock seat were considered much more favourable to the Conservatives than those of the old Basildon seat.
Before 1974 the area came within the older version of the Billericay constituency and, for just five years before 1950, this area was the eastern part of the Thurrock seat – from 1885–1945 the area was within the South East Essex seat. From 1832–1885 the area was in the South Essex seat.
- The Borough of Thurrock wards of Corringham and Fobbing, East Tilbury, Orsett, Stanford East and Corringham Town, Stanford-le-Hope West and The Homesteads
- The Borough of Basildon wards of Langdon Hills, Nethermayne, Pitsea North West, Pitsea South East and Vange.
Despite its long name, this new constituency is to the greatest extent the successor to the Basildon constituency.
The Basildon constituency that existed after 1997 was never wholly within the Basildon district, nor even contained the whole of the Basildon urban area, but it extended south into the Thurrock council area to take in towns such as Stanford-le-Hope and Corringham.
This new seat retained all of the Thurrock wards, lost some areas around central Basildon, and replaced them with Pitsea to the east of Basildon. Additionally, the ward of East Tilbury was added from the Thurrock constituency.
The seat has a very similar proportion (4.0%) of jobseekers to the national average of 3.8%, based on The Guardian's November 2012 study. This is higher than the average for the Eastern counties of 3.1% but significantly lower than Bedford, Great Yarmouth, Peterborough, Luton South, Rochford and Southend East, and Thurrock seats.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Bukola||1,957||4.3||+2.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Nath Banerji||732||1.6||-1.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Geoff Williams||1,356||3.0||-10.4|
|Independent||None Of The Above X||253||0.6||+0.3|
|Labour Co-op||Angela Smith*||13,852||31.0||-9.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Geoff Williams||5,977||13.4||+2.8|
|Independent||None of the Above X||125||0.3||N/A|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Basildon South and Thurrock East' UK Parliament, 6 May 2010 -". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 12 April 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- Waller, Robert; Criddle, Byron (2007). The Almanac of British Politics (8th ed.). UK: Routledge. pp. 127–128, 160–161. ISBN 0-415-37823-0.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 1)
- "Basildon South & Thurrock East Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "Say you're with us >>". www.labour.org.uk. Archived from the original on 5 August 2013.
- "LIVE: South Basildon and East Thurrock hustings". Echo.
- "Ex-UKIP candidate Kerry Smith 'to run as independent'". 7 January 2015 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Statement of Persons Nominated Archived 8 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine Basildon Council
- "BBC NEWS – Election 2010 – Basildon South & Thurrock East". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.