Hertford and Stortford (UK Parliament constituency)
|Hertford and Stortford|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Hertford and Stortford in Hertfordshire.
Location of Hertfordshire within England.
|Electorate||79,255 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Hertford, Bishop's Stortford, Ware|
|Member of parliament||Mark Prisk (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Hertfordshire the Boundary Commission for England consultation and changed modified the Hertford and Stortford seat for the 2010 general election. The electoral wards are included in the district of East Hertfordshire:
- Bishop’s Stortford All Saints, Bishop’s Stortford Central, Bishop’s Stortford Meads, Bishop’s Stortford Silverleys, Bishop’s Stortford South, Great Amwell, Hertford Bengeo, Hertford Castle, Hertford Heath, Hertford Kingsmead, Hertford Sele, Hunsdon, Much Hadham, Sawbridgeworth, Stanstead Abbotts, Ware Chadwell, Ware Christchurch, Ware St Mary’s and Ware Trinity.
The constituency is semi-rural which includes picturesque villages and farmland separating the county town of Hertford, population 25,000, which is architecturally rich. The rivers Rib, Beane, Mimram, and Lea all meet in Hertford, which is protected from over development by Green Belt land which encircles the town separating it from its neighbour Ware (17,000) in the western part of the constituency. Farms continue between Ware and the ancient market town of Bishop's Stortford with a population of more than 32,000 people in the north east corner of the seat. Bishop's Stortford has developed into a popular area for commuters, with rail links to London's Liverpool Street station. Thorley on the south side of Stortford, contains a huge residential estate of owner occupied houses built mainly in the 1980s. The constituency is affluent, having a majority of professional and managerial workers as it is within commuting distance of London. Stansted Airport, which lies just outside the seat's eastern perimeter has been responsible for bringing jobs and an improved train service to the constituency. The pharmaceutical industry is also an important provider of jobs - GlaxoSmithKline has facilities in Ware and nearby Harlow, and Merck is based at Gilston on the seat's southern border. London is within commuting distance with trains to the City running from all the towns in the constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Green||4,385||7.8||-18.2|
|General Election 2010: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Lewin||14,373||26.0||+7.5|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||James Lucas||9,129||18.4||−1.5|
|Veritas||Debbie Le May||572||1.2||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||Mione Goldspink||9,388||19.9||+2.2|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Wood||9,679||17.7|
|Referendum Party||Hugo Page Croft||2,105||3.9|
|UKIP||B G Smalley||1,233||2.2|
|ProLife Alliance||Michael Franey||259||0.5|
|General Election 1992: Hertford and Stortford|
|Liberal Democrat||CJ White||15,506||25.0||−3.4|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Hertford and Stortford|
|Social Democratic||RE Wotherspoon||16,623||28.32|
|General Election 1983: Hertford and Stortford|
|Social Democratic||R Wotherspoon||16,110||31.05|
|Prosperity For All||P Cullen||221||0.43|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Ordnance Survey map, courtesy of English Heritage
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "General Election: Mark Prisk wins fourth term as Hertford and Stortford MP". Herts & Essex Observer.
- "Hertford & Stortford". bbc.co.uk.
- "Hertford and Stortford". YourNextMP. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "UK ELECTION RESULTS". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk.
- "List of selected candidates". Liberal Democrats. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Hertford and Stortford". YourNextMP. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.