Institut supérieur de l'aéronautique et de l'espace
The Institut Supérieur de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace (ISAE-SUPAERO), translated as "National Higher French Institute of Aeronautics and Space", founded in 1909, is one of the most prestigious and selective (grande école) in France. It was the world's first dedicated aerospace engineering school and is considered to be one of the best in Europe in that field. ISAE-SUPAERO is part of University of Toulouse, ISSAT, PEGASUS, GEA, Toulouse Tech, CESAER and Aerospace Valley.
Historically ISAE results from the merger between SUPAERO and ENSICA in the summer of 2007. The aim of this move was to increase the international visibility of SUPAERO and the ENSICA (both of which depend from the French Ministry of Defense), by sharing their faculty and experimental means.
Since its founding in 1909 ISAE-SUPAERO has produced more than 17,000 graduates; some of them have achieved fame in their field, including: Henri Coandă, the discoverer of the Coanda effect; Henri Ziegler, father of the Airbus program; Frédéric d'Allest, first chairman of Arianespace; and Jean-François Clervoy (class of 1983), astronaut.
ISAE (SUPAERO & ENSICA) Famous alumni
Here is a list of some notable alumni:
- Raoul Badin, S-1910, one of the main inventors of the airspeed indicator and forefather of instrument flying.
- Henri Coandă, S-1910, discovered the Coandă Effect.
- Henry Potez, S-1911, founder of the Potez airplanes company.
- Mikhail Gurevich, S-1913, founder of MiG
- Marcel Bloch-Dassault, S-1913, founder of the Dassault airplanes company.
- André Couzinet, S-1925, conceived the Arc-en-Ciel (the mythical plane flown by Jean Mermoz), and also invented the retractable landing gear and the modern yoke.
- Henri Ziegler, S-1931, father of the Airbus program.
- Guy du Merle, S-1932, first director-general of the École nationale de l'aviation civile (French civil aviation university).
- François Hussenot, S-1935, inventor of the "hussenographe" (an early form of Flight data recorder or "black box"); also involved in the creation of EPNER.
- Jean-Claude Laprie (1944-2010), E-1968,director of research at the CNRS, former director of the LAAS-CNRS, silver medal of CNRS.
- Serge Dassault, S-1951, CEO of Dassault Aviation.
- Jacques Darricau, E-1961, an internationally recognized radar specialist, former president of EUROSAE and director of the SAE.
- Jean Bastien-Thiry, S-1952, famous for his assassination attempt on French president Charles de Gaulle in 1962.
- Daniel Ferbeck, S-1963, creator of VAL (automated metro subway system).
- Eric Hayat, S-1964, Founder of STERIA.
- Louis Le Portz, E-1964, Former commissary general of Paris Air Show, former CEO of Thomson Training & Simulation (1994-1998).
- Frédéric d'Allest, S-1966, first chairman of Arianespace.
- Seddik Belyamani, E-1967, MS MIT, Former Executive Vice President of Boeing. (1998-2002)
- Rachid BenMokhtar Benabdellah, E-1967,Minister of National Education of Morocco (1995-1998 and since 2013).
- Jean LAURENT, S-1967, Former CEO of Crédit Agricole SA and Chairman & CEO of Crédit Lyonnais.
- Bernard RAMANANTSOA, S-1971, Director General of HEC.
- Philippe Wallet, E-1973, Director Aircraft Engineering and Maintenance, Air France.
- Serge Massart, E-1975, Special adviser to the CEO of EDF, former Director of the Nuclear Engineering Division then Director of Nuclear Operations.
- Jean-Paul HERTEMAN, S-1975, PDG of SAFRAN.
- Alain Pechon, E-1977, Founder and former CEO of Sun Microsystems France.
- Charles CHAMPION, S-1978, Senior VP Engineering AIRBUS.
- Marie-Laure Roux, E-1981, Director of the Toulouse St Eloi factory of Airbus since 2011.
- Jean-François Clervoy, S-1983, astronaut.
- Alain Bellemare, E-1985, MBA McGill 93, PDG of Bombardier, Inc., Ex-CEO of Pratt & Whitney Canada.
- Marc Guinot, E-1985, Vice President A380 Chief Engineer, Airbus.
- Jean Kayanakis, E-1986, Chief executive of Dassault Falcon Services.
- Marwan LAHOUD, S-1989, Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer of Airbus Group.
- Christophe Robin, E-1991, Technical director of Daher-Socata, Founder of DynAero an aeronautical construction company.
- Diego Diaz, E-1992, MS MIT, MBA MIT Sloan, Vice President of SNCF International.
- Thomas Pesquet, S-2001, astronaut.
- Thomas Pesquet, S-2002, ORACLE Racing Yacht performance specialist- Defender of 34th America’s cup – USA - Cofounder of eb1 labs
- Samantha Cristoforetti, S 2007 (ERASMUS), astronaut.
- Luca Parmitano, M-I-2009, astronaut.
- Vincent LECRUBIER, S-2011, Olympic Games 2008-2012, Kayak Champion.
Notes and references
- GEA - Groupement des Grandes Ecoles Aéronautiques et Spatiales
- [Emma Dayson]. "Une formation d'ingénieur unique pour l'ISAE SUPAERO". Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Biographie de M. Rachid BenMokhtar Benabdellah
- Alain Bellemare Président et chef de la direction , Bombardier Inc.
- Dassault Aviation appoints Jean Kayanakis as General Manager of Dassault Falcon Service Communiqué de presse du 9 juin 2011 du groupe Dassault Aviation
- (English) http://www.isae.fr/en/index.html