List of selfie-related injuries and deaths
This is a list of serious injuries and deaths in which one or more subjects of a selfie were killed or injured, either before, during or after having taken a photo of themselves, with the accident at least in part attributed to the taking of the photo.
The United States Department of Transportation estimated that during 2014, the so-called "year of the selfie", 33,000 people were injured while driving and using a cell-phone in some fashion, which can include talking, listening, and "manual button/control actuation" including taking, uploading, downloading, editing, or opening of selfies. A 2015 survey by Erie Insurance Group found that 4% of all drivers admitted to taking selfies while driving.
The Washington Post reported in January 2016 that "about half" of at least 27 "selfie related" deaths in 2015 had occurred in India. No official data on the number of people who died taking selfies in India exists, but reports show from 2014 up to August 2016, there have been at least 54 deaths in India while taking selfies. The Indian Ministry of Tourism asked states to identify and barricade ‘selfie danger’ areas, its first national attempt to deal with the selfie deaths. Mumbai Police identified at least 16 danger zones after a man drowned attempting to save a selfie-taker. No-selfie zones were also established in certain areas of the Kumbh Mela because organizers feared bottlenecks caused by selfie-takers could spark stampedes.
A 2018 study of news reports showed that between October 2011 to November 2017, there were 259 selfie deaths in 137 incidents reported globally, with the highest occurrences in India followed by Russia, United States, and Pakistan. The mean age was 22.94 years old with male deaths outnumbering female about three to one.
|15 October 2011||United States||3||Transport||Three teenagers (two sisters and a friend) were killed by a train while posing for a selfie, which is just visible in the final picture they posted to Facebook along with the caption "Standing right by a train ahaha this is awesome!!!!".|||
|13 December 2013||United Kingdom||1||Transport||A 17-year-old girl committed suicide by jumping in front of a Central line train at Redbridge tube station. She took a selfie of the incident which she titled "last pic before I die". She was reportedly distraught over gossip about pictures she’d sent to a boy.|||
|March 2014||Spain||1||Electrocution||A 21-year-old man was electrocuted after climbing on top of a train to take a selfie with friends and touching a wire that (contrary to the assumptions of the group) turned out to be live. One of the friends was hospitalized in serious condition.|||
|April 2014||United States||1||Transport||A 32-year-old woman from North Carolina was driving when her vehicle veered across the center median, collided with a recycling truck, left the road, hit a tree, and burst into flames – moments after posting selfies online when she heard Pharrell Williams' song "Happy". The truck driver was unharmed.|||
|May 2014||India||1||Transport||A 15-year-old boy was killed by a train while posing for a selfie on the tracks.|||
|June 2014||Italy||1||Fall||A 16-year-old girl died in Taranto after plunging 60 feet onto rocks while she was trying to take a photograph of herself on the seafront.|||
|July 2014||Philippines||1||Fall||A 14-year-old high school student in the Philippines fell to her death after losing her balance while taking a selfie with a friend near a staircase landing of their school in suburban Pasig. According to doctors, she sustained a sharp blow to the head from the fall and broke a rib which pierced a kidney.|||
|August 2014||Philippines||1||Firearm||A 15-year-old boy in the Philippines was critically wounded after accidentally shooting himself while taking a selfie in which his other hand was holding a gun to his chin.|||
|2 August 2014||Mexico||1||Firearm||A 21-year-old man was drinking with friends and took a selfie to post on Facebook. He posed with a gun pointed at his face. The man accidentally shot himself and he was declared dead at the scene.|||
|August 2014||Portugal||2||Fall||A Polish couple fell to their death off a cliff in Portugal after crossing a safety barrier to take a selfie with their children. Their two children who were present at the scene survived.|||
|August 2014||India||1||Electrocution||In Kerala, a 14-year-old boy was electrocuted while attempting to take a selfie on top of a stationary train.|||
|August 2014||United States||1||Transport||A 36-year-old man, of Niagara, N.D., struck and killed a 54-year-old woman of Portland, N.D. while driving. She was riding a bicycle and he was distracted as he took a selfie, striking her from behind with his vehicle.|||
|October 2014||Philippines||1||Drowned||An 18-year-old woman in the Philippines was posing for a group selfie on a beach with friends. She was captured by a strong wave and drowned.|||
|November 2014||Spain||1||Fall||A 23-year-old student from Poland fell to her death while trying to take a selfie on the ledge of the Triana Bridge in Seville, Spain.|||
|January 2015||South Africa||1||Fall||A 21-year-old woman died after falling from Northcliff Hill, Johannesburg, as a male companion was setting up a tripod for a selfie. Reports vary as to the identity of the companion.|||
|January 2015||Russia||2||Other||Two young men died in the Ural Mountains after they pulled the pin from a live hand grenade to take a selfie. The phone with the picture remained as evidence of the circumstance of their deaths.|||
|January 2015||India||3||Transport||Three students aged 20 to 22 died trying to take a "daredevil selfie" close to an oncoming train on railway tracks of Mathura, near Kosikala.|||
|4 February 2015||India||1||Transport||An Israeli man traveling on a train from Mumbai to Goa in India was attempting to take a selfie and fell out of the moving train, resulting in his death.|||
|21 February 2015||United States||1||Transport||A man in Kalama, Washington, stepped out onto a railroad track to take a selfie with himself and a woman with a passing train in the background. The man misjudged which track the oncoming train was on and was struck and died at the scene.|||
|March 2015||India||7||Drowned||Seven youths drowned while taking selfies on Mangrul Lake near Kuhi, about 20 km from Nagpur, India. Their boat had tipped over as they were standing up to pose.|||
|April 2015||Serbia||1||Transport||A 22-year-old man was trying to recreate a scene from his favorite movie Barking at the Stars by running in front of a train, beating it and being hailed a hero. As he ran in front of the train, he tried to take a selfie to document the scene. He was killed instantly when the express train hit him at full speed in the village of Laćarak near the northern Serbian town of Sremska Mitrovica.|||
|1 April 2015||Italy||1||Fall||A 60-year-old German tourist skiing in the Trentino-Alto Adige region of Italy was reported missing when he failed to pick up his children from ski school. Subsequent investigation found that while skiing alone, he took off his skis and went off-trail to take a selfie next to a cliff, where he slipped and plunged 200 metres to his death.|||
|May 2015||Romania||2||Electrocution||An 18-year-old died when she attempted to take the "ultimate selfie", posing with a friend on top of a train in the north-eastern Romanian city of Iași when her leg touched a live wire above which electrocuted her with 27,000 volts. A 17-year-old friend who accompanied her was hospitalised.|||
|May 2015||Russia||1||Electrocution||A teenage boy climbed on a railway bridge in Ryazan Oblast of Russia to take a selfie and died when he came in contact with live wires.|||
|May 2015||Russia||1||Firearm||A 21-year-old woman asked a security guard at her office to give her a 9-millimeter rubber-bullet pistol for taking a selfie and accidentally shot herself in the head, sustaining heavy injuries.|||
|May 2015||Indonesia||1||Fall||A 21-year-old man from Yogyakarta fell into the crater of Mount Merapi while attempting to take a selfie and died.|||
|May 2015||Indonesia||1||Fall||A Singaporean tourist died after falling into the sea while taking a selfie on a cliff in Nusa Lembongan, an island off the coast of Bali.|||
|June 2015||Pakistan||1||Firearm||A 15-year-old boy in Pakistan was taking selfies with a toy gun when police opened fire on him, killing him.|||
|June 2015||Russia||2||Electrocution||Two teenage girls were electric shocked, but survived, at a railroad yard in the city of Taganrog in southern Russia. They tried to climb on the tank car of an old freight train that was standing at the platform in order to take a selfie, but didn’t realize it was still in use and on a live track.|||
|June 2015||Croatia||1||Fall||A 54-year-old Slovak tourist visiting Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia fell to her death from a rock while taking a selfie.|||
|July 2015||Russia||1||Fall||A 21-year-old university graduate died after falling from a bridge while she was trying to take a memorable selfie next to the Moscow International Business Center.|||
|July 2015||United States||1||Animal||A man from San Diego was hospitalised for five days following an attempt to take a selfie with a rattlesnake which then bit him.|||
|July 2015||United States||1||Animal||A woman in Yellowstone National Park was gored by an American bison while taking a selfie. She was treated for injuries.|||
|July 2015||Philippines||1||Transport||A woman vacationing in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte, asked her family to stop their car so she could take a selfie by the side of the road with a scenic view. She was hit by a speeding motorcycle while taking the picture. She was taken to hospital and died. The driver of the motorcycle was a minor.|||
|August 2015||Spain||1||Animal||A man was gored to death in the annual bull-running festival in the town of Villaseca de la Sagra while trying to take a selfie with a bull.|||
|August 2015||China||1||Fall||A man was discovered with his phone and selfie stick at the bottom of a 100-foot cliff at Long Men waterfall in Zhejiang. Based on photographic evidence on his phone, local police speculated that he lost his footing while taking a selfie and fell to his death. It was not known when he died or how long his body had been there.|||
|September 2015||United States||1||Firearm||A 19-year-old from Houston died after trying to take an Instagram selfie while holding a loaded gun to his head. He accidentally fired the gun and shot himself in the throat.|||
|September 2015||India||1||Fall||A Japanese tourist fell down a staircase to his death while taking a selfie at the Taj Mahal, Agra, India.|||
|September 2015||Russia||1||Fall||A 17-year-old student, Andrey Retrovsky from Vologda, Russia, fell to his death attempting to take a selfie while hanging from a rope from a nine-story building. The rope snapped. Retrovsky was known for taking 'extreme' selfies and posting them to his Instagram account "drewsssik".|||
|September 2015||India||1||Fall||An engineering student died while taking selfies with friends at Kolli Hills, Namakkal, Tamil Nadu, when the rock on which he was standing cracked and gave way, plunging him 60 feet and causing his death from head injuries.|||
|October 2015||Spain||1||Electrocution||A 14-year-old from Barcelona was hospitalised with electric shock after trying to take a selfie on the roof of a train car.|||
|October 2015||Chile||1||Other||A 68-year-old Belgian woman was visiting the El Tatio geyser field located within the Andes Mountains of northern Chile. While attempting to take a selfie in front of an active geyser she stepped backwards and fell into the scalding hot water. Her husband pulled her out, but she died in hospital days later from burns over 85 percent of her body.|||
|November 2015||India||2||Drowned||Two engineering students of Wadhwan, Gujarat, drowned in Narmada Canal after slipping down the bank while taking selfies.|||
|November 2015||India||2||Transport||A first-year student of College Sourav Dey died and another was critically injured in the Kalyani area in Nadia district of West Bengal, India, as they were run over by a train while they were taking selfies.|||
|November 2015||India||1||Electrocution||A 14-year-old boy, who was trying to take a selfie atop a stationary train wagon at Nahur station yard in Mumbai, was electrocuted and died a few hours later. He accidentally came in contact with a 25,000-volt overhead wire and suffered 80 percent burns.|||
|December 2015||Pakistan||1||Transport||A 22-year-old man, the son of a railway employee of Rawalpindi, Pakistan, died while attempting to take a selfie while standing on the track in front of a moving train.|||
|December 2015||Turkey||2||Transport||Five teenagers laid down in the middle of the road near an airport to take a selfie with a plane landing in the background. It was at night, and a truck driver did not see them and accidentally ran them over, killing two of them. The teenagers had been drinking.|||
|5 January 2016||Philippines||1||Fall||A 19-year-old student fell to her death from the top of a 20-story apartment building in Manila, Philippines, while taking a selfie. According to her classmate, "she was not satisfied with the photos they had taken so she decided to climb up the parapet wall".|||
|7 January 2016||Brazil||1||Fall||A 27-year-old man fell into the sea and died after an attempt to take a selfie on the rocks of Cantão do Indaiá in Bertioga, on the coast of São Paulo.|||
|9 January 2016||India||1||Fall||A 20-year-old fell to his death while taking a selfie from the top of the Reasi Fort at Jammu and Kashmir, India.|||
|9 January 2016||India||1||Drowned||A 20-year-old college student drowned at Bandstand Promenade in Bandra, Mumbai. She is believed to have been swept away in the high tide. According to the woman's friends, they were taking selfies, standing on the rock, close to the Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL). "The girls were standing 50 metres away from the shore when the water suddenly rose. They did not notice water rising and remained on the rock taking pictures (selfies). One of the girls was pulled into the water due to high tide."|||
|1 February 2016||India||1||Transport||A 16-year-old boy was killed by a passenger train while taking a selfie with an approaching train in Chennai, India. "The teen reportedly walked in front of the train and waited for it to come closer before taking the photo."|||
|12 February 2016||India||3||Drowned||Three students of Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences drowned after falling in an irrigation canal in Hulivana village, 180 km from Bengaluru, India, reportedly while they were taking selfies.|||
|13 February 2016||India||2||Drowned||An 18-year-old college student drowned after falling off of the Waldevi Dam in Nashik, India, while taking a selfie. His 18-year-old friend jumped into the water in an attempt to save him, but also drowned.|||
|18 February 2016||Argentina||1 (dolphin)||Other||An Argentinian crowd seeking selfies was held responsible for the death of a La Plata dolphin. It has however been claimed that the dolphin was already dead.|||
|22 February 2016||India||5||Fall||Five people in Anjuna, Goa, fell off a cliff and were injured after a gate they were leaning on gave way during a group selfie.|||
|29 February 2016||Nepal||1||Drowned||A Nepalese woman drowned in the Narayani River. She dived into the river to save her friend who slipped into the water while the two were taking selfies together near the bank. The woman who originally fell was rescued but her friend who tried to save her died.|||
|2 March 2016||United States||1||Firearm||A 43-year-old man in Concrete, Washington, accidentally shot himself in the face with a gun and died while taking a selfie. He thought the gun was unloaded.|||
|5 March 2016||Australia||1||Firearm||A 22-year-old from Melbourne, Australia, was shot in the face with a sawn-off shotgun while posing for a selfie with the gun. The gun was fired by a friend who was holding it. The shooter fled the scene and was charged with murder.|||
|12 March 2016||Hong Kong, China||1||Fall||A 30-year-old man fell off Lion Rock in Hong Kong while taking a selfie and died.|||
|5 April 2016||India||1||Fall||A 16-year-old climbed a rock fountain at a zoo in Hyderabad, India, apparently to take a selfie. He slipped, fell into the water and may have hit his head on a rock. He was taken to hospital where his death was recorded.|||
|15 April 2016||India||2||Transport||Two youths were run over by a train while taking selfies on the railway tracks at Purushottampur railway crossing in Chunar area in Mirzapur district in Uttar Pradesh, India.|||
|16 April 2016||Brazil||1||Fall||A 27-year-old woman fell from a height of 35m at a waterfall in the Ibitipoca State Park in Minas Gerais. She was rescued by the fire department and survived.|||
|16 April 2016||India||1||Transport||A 16-year-old boy died while taking a selfie at a railway crossing in Saharanpur, a town in Uttar Pradesh, India.|||
|21 April 2016||Brazil||1||Fall||In Campos dos Goytacazes in Rio de Janeiro, a 32-year-old woman died after she fell in a waterfall while attempting a selfie.|||
|26 April 2016||India||1||Fall||While taking a selfie, a 25-year-old fell off the Dolphin Nose cliff near Vattakanal village, situated 8 km from the Kodaikanal Lake, Tamil Nadu, India.|||
|1 May 2016||India||1||Firearm||A 15-year-old boy from Pathankot, India, died after he accidentally shot himself with his father's revolver while taking a selfie with the gun pointed at his head.|||
|May 2016||China||2||Animal||A Chinese businessman, at a local wildlife park in the city of Rongcheng, Shandong province, was drowned by a walrus after taking several selfies and videos with the animal. A zookeeper was also drowned in the same incident after attempting to save the man.|||
|3 June 2016||India||1||Drowned||An 18-year-old boy drowned in the Ganges river while taking a selfie after bathing with his mother and a friend in Nabadwip of West Bengal state in India.|||
|3 June 2016||United States||1||Firearm||A 15-year-old from Overland, Missouri, accidentally shot and killed himself while attempting to take a selfie at home posing with his father's gun.|||
|12 June 2016||India||2||Drowned||A 23-year-old fell into the water and drowned at Sindhrot Check Dam near Vadodara, India, while taking a selfie. His friend jumped into the water to save him, but he also drowned.|||
|18 June 2016||United States||1||Fall||A 37-year-old EMS lieutenant of the New York City Fire Department, was mountain climbing near Lake George in the Adirondack Mountains. She was on a ledge at the top of Roaring Brook Falls preparing to take a selfie when she disappeared from sight. Rescue services found her body in the water at the base of the falls.|||
|22 June 2016||India||7||Drowned||Seven people aged 16 to 31 were swept away and drowned while taking a selfie in the river Ganges in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. According to a police official, they had gone for a picnic at Kanpur Ganges Barrage when one of the party tried to take a selfie by standing on the edge of the barrage and tripped and fell into the Ganges. The river was already in spate due to rains in the region. The six others, in an attempt to save him, jumped into the river but were themselves swept away by the current.|||
|22 June 2016||India||1||Fall||A third year engineering student of a Lonavla-based college and hailing from Nashik, lost his balance while taking a selfie from the Amrutanjan Bridge and fell down next to the Mumbai Pune Expressway in Maharashtra, India. He died on the spot.|||
|29 June 2016||Peru||1||Fall||A 28-year-old South Korean tourist plunged 1,600 feet (490 m) off a cliff at Gocta waterfall in the Amazonas Region of Peru. He was attempting to take a picture of himself. Divers and mountain rescue teams were brought in to recover the body submerged more than 20 feet underwater at the base of the falls.|||
|29 June 2016||Peru||1||Fall||A 51-year-old German tourist visiting Machu Picchu in Peru, fell 130 feet (40 m) to his death after he lost his footing while leaping into the air for a "flying selfie".|||
|July 2016||Croatia||1||Fall||A 20-year-old Canadian tourist plunged off a viewpoint 75 meters (246 ft) high in the Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia, while trying to take a selfie. His fall was broken by tree branches and he survived with injuries. It was the park's second selfie accident in a year.|||
|2 July 2016||India||1||Fall||A 32-year-old resident of Mali Mohalla, near Saharanpur Chowk, Dehradun (India), lost his life after he fell in a 150-feet deep gorge while taking a selfie near Chunakhaal on Dehradun-Mussoorie road in Uttarakhand, India. This is not the first incident of this kind on the road. Last year, a youth died when he stepped backwards and fell into a deep gorge while his friend was clicking a picture.|||
|6 July 2016||India||4||Drowned||Four students were taking selfies near Purva waterfall on Tamas River in Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh, India. They were unaware of an oncoming flash flood and all four were swept away and drowned.|||
|12 July 2016||India||1||Fall||A 36-year-old and a friend climbed to a mountain peak at Khandala, India, against warnings. There they took selfies with a waterfall in the background, but the 36-year-old slipped and fell into a 200-foot-deep quarry and died.|||
|12 July 2016||Nepal||1||Animal||In southern Nepal, a truck driver stopped for a wild herd of 21 elephants crossing the road. The driver exited his vehicle to take a selfie with the animals. The herd attacked and killed the man.|||
|13 July 2016||India||2||Drowned||Two students drowned while taking selfies at Kosi Dam near Rampur, Uttar Pradesh, India. A group of students were taking selfies and became trapped in a vortex; the rest were saved.|||
|13 July 2016||Vietnam||2||Transport||In the province of Hung Yen, Vietnam, two men aged 21 and 28 were hit and killed by a train while taking a selfie on the tracks. Bystanders tried to shout warnings at the men but they could not hear them due to wearing earphones.|||
|17 July 2016||India||2||Drowned||A married couple ages 40 and 42, from Tirupur district of Tamil Nadu, were swept away by a "giant wave" in Kanyakumari, India while they were taking a selfie.|||
|19 July 2016||India||2||Fall||In an incident reported on July 19, two people were taking selfies at Alekan waterfall in Charmadi Ghat, India. The two, Hanumanthappa (34) and Nagabhushan (38), residents of Chitradurga district, lost balance and fell into the waterfall. They were both killed.|||
|23 July 2016||India||1||Fall||At Amboli Falls, a popular tourist destination in Sindhudurg district in Maharashtra, India, a youth fell into a 60-foot-deep gorge while taking a selfie. He died.|||
|27 July 2016||India||1||Drowned||A 24-year-old woman was swept away to her death by the swollen waters of Baandal river near Maldevta area on the outskirts of Dehradun, India. She was taking a selfie at the time of the incident, bringing the toll of selfie deaths in Dehradun to four for the year.|||
|30 July 2016||India||1||Drowned||A 20-year-old national-level athlete slipped and fell into a pond while taking a selfie near a harvesting plant at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) centre in Bhopal. She did not know how to swim. Her two companions, who also were unable to swim, ran for help. She was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.|||
|31 July 2016||India||2||Fall||A 24-year-old Indian man, a well-known local-level wrestler from Bhadohi, fell to his death while taking a selfie near the Vindham waterfall in Uttar Pradesh. A friend who dived into the water to rescue him was taken to the hospital in critical condition.|||
|2 August 2016||United States||1||Firearm||A 22-year-old Florida woman accidentally shot her phone while taking a picture of herself for Snapchat while posing with a .40 caliber pistol. She suffered minor injuries to her hand. The phone was shattered.|||
|3 August 2016||India||1||Fall||A 22-year-old engineering student from Andhra Pradesh was vacationing with six friends in Tamil Nadu state, South India. While taking a selfie standing on the edge of a 2,000-foot-deep gorge at Vilpatti village on upper Kodaikanal hill, he slipped and plunged to his death.|||
|7 August 2016||India||1||Fall||A 27-year-old lawyer from India was visiting Mandoshi ghat, near Bhimashanjar. She and her husband were sitting on boulders that form a safety barrier from a 100-foot gorge below. As she positioned herself for a selfie, one of the boulders came loose in wet earth, and she slipped over the edge. Her husband attempted to arrest her fall but was unable to hold on. She sustained head injuries and was taken to hospital by her husband, where she was pronounced dead.|||
|9 August 2016||Pakistan||3||Drowned||An 11-year-old Pakistani girl drowned while attempting to take a selfie at the Kunhar River, which flows through Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. The girl's mother jumped into the fast-moving river to save her but she was also swept away and drowned. On seeing both his daughter and wife in trouble the father jumped in; he also drowned. The dead bodies of the mother and her daughter were found; the father's body was missing. The six-year-old son of the family was a witness of the tragedy.|||
|12 August 2016||India||1||Fall||A 22-year-old student of Kherva Ganpat University, Mehsana in Gujarat, India, climbed a glass dome on the third-floor terrace of a building to take a selfie. The fragile glass collapsed and she plunged 70 feet to the ground floor and was killed. Selfies were subsequently banned at the school in "risky places".|||
|12 August 2016||India||4||Drowned||Four Indians aged 15–19 were taking selfies in the ocean surf in Maharashtra. Unsatisfied with the pictures and ignoring a storm, they went further out from shore. They were carried away by a large wave and their bodies were not recovered.|||
|15 August 2016||India||1||Fall||A class 12 student residing at Peelamedu, India, was sightseeing with friends and noticed a huge well dug in a field. While leaning over the edge of the well to take a selfie to show its depth, he slipped and fell in. The well is 120 feet deep with a water level of 60 feet. He died in the well before he could be rescued.|||
|16 August 2016||India||1||Firearm||A 35-year-old Indian woman from Muzaffarnagar was taking a selfie with a gun when it fired. She sustained serious injuries.|||
|20 August 2016||Pakistan||2||Drowned||A Pakistani man drowned while attempting to take a selfie at the Kunhar River that flows through Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. His cousin jumped in to save him, but she was also swept away and drowned. It was the second selfie-related death incident on the Kunhar River in August.|||
|21 August 2016||Pakistan||3||Other||Three Pakistani women were killed while taking selfies near a road at Lake Saiful Muluk. They were inside a melt hole, or cave, at the front edge of a receding glacier when the roof collapsed and they were crushed.|||
|17 September 2016||India||5||Drowned||Six young women (engineering students from Vaagdevi college of Engineering, Bollikunta) were standing on a rock at the edge of a reservoir in Warangal Urban district of Telangana, India, taking selfies. One student slipped and fell into the lake, and one after another the rest went in to save her. One student survived, five drowned.|||
|18 September 2016||Kenya||1||Animal||A 66-year-old Italian tourist visiting Kenya was having breakfast with his wife in a tent at the Swara Camp in Kulalu ranch. He saw wild elephants and approached them closely. While taking a selfie he was charged by an elephant, sustained serious injuries to his leg and died at the camp.|||
|1 October 2016||Nepal||1||Fall||A 19-year-old man from Nepal was taking a selfie when he slipped off a cliff and fell into Dordi stream in Lamjung district. His body was not immediately recovered.|||
|1 October 2016||India||2||Drowned||Two teenagers from Hyderabad were taking selfies in a quarry recently filled with rainwater. They went too deep and, unable to swim to shore, they drowned.|||
|8 October 2016||Oman||2||Drowned||Two Sri Lankan girls were visiting Ain Garziz in Oman with their families. While at a picnic, they were taking selfies near a deep spring. One girl slipped into the spring and grabbed the hand of the other. She was unable to pull her companion out and was dragged down into the water where both of the girls drowned.|||
|9 October 2016||India||1||Fall||A 25-year-old Indian man fell to his death while taking a selfie with his friends at Lion's Point Valley near Lonavla. He slipped and fell 200 feet (61 m) into a gorge and died on the spot.|||
|9 October 2016||Sri Lanka||1||Transport||A Chinese woman visiting Sri Lanka fell from a moving train while taking a selfie. She later died from her injuries.|||
|11 October 2016||India||1||Drowned||A student drowned in the Jaldhaka River at Bindu village, Kalimpong subdivision in West Bengal. The body was retrieved four days later.|||
|12 October 2016||India||1||Drowned||A 25-year-old software engineer fell into a river and drowned in Gajapati, Odisha, India, while taking a selfie.|||
|18 October 2016||Russia||1||Fall||A 12-year-old Russian schoolgirl climbed over a balcony on the 17th floor of a building and fell while taking a selfie.|||
|11 November 2016||India||2||Drowned||Two students drowned while taking selfies; they were swept away by currents in the Nagarjuna Sagar canal.|||
|1 January 2017||India||1||Transport||A 21-year-old engineering student died when he was hit by a speeding train while trying to take a selfie in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.|||
|4 January 2017||Pakistan||1||Drowned||In Sukkur, Pakistan, a man fell into the Indus River and drowned as he tried to capture his selfie at the Lansdowne Bridge Rohri. Asif Jamil, a resident of Christian Colony, was visiting the bridge with his wife for a picnic.|||
|6 January 2017||Croatia||2||Electrocution||In Rijeka, Croatia, two men climbed onto a container on a train where they wanted to take a selfie. A 20-year-old was killed and his 19-year-old friend was in serious condition, with second and third degree burns on more than 70 percent of his body as a result of an electric shock of 25,000 volts.|||
|13 January 2017||India||1||Drowned||A woman, Ashana Bhandari, fell into the Alaknanda River while she was trying to take a selfie near Koteshwar temple in Rudraprayag district in Uttarakhand, India.|||
|14 January 2017||India||1||Transport||A second-year college student died while taking a selfie in front of a running train on a railway track in Chandrakona Road, Paschim Medinipur district, West Bengal, India. He was immediately hit by the speeding train and died on the spot.|||
|14 January 2017||India||2||Transport||Two teenagers were crushed under a train while posing between two railway tracks at Anand Vihar, east Delhi. They had decided to go to the Anand Vihar railway lines to click "daring selfies" for their social media profiles.|||
|25 January 2017||India||1||Transport||A 22-year-old man died while attempting to take a selfie on the railway tracks near Dhuri Lines, Ludhiana, Punjab, India. A passenger train hit him while he was taking selfies.|||
|5 February 2017||India||1||Fall||A 22-year-old college student died after falling into a 50-metre-deep ravine while taking a selfie near Kolukhet on Dehradun-Mussoorie road in Uttarakhand, India.|||
|9 February 2017||New Zealand||1||Drowned||Four women were taking selfies on a rock in a river in New Zealand, ignoring a warning siren signalling a dam was about to be opened. One of the women, a 21-year-old university student, was swept to her death by the dam surge.|||
|25 March 2017||United States||1||Drowned||A 14-year-old girl was standing on a log with friends at a beach in Bandon, Oregon to pose for photos, possibly including selfies. She fell off and was pinned underwater by the log due to the receding tide. According to the girls mother, when this occurred it was not a selfie rather her picture was being taken by a friend.|||
|25 March 2017||Mexico||2||Transport||In the city of Chínipas de Almada, Chihuahua, Mexico, two girls aged 17 and 18 went to see horse races at a track next to an airport runway. They decided to get on top of their pickup's roof, and started taking selfies as a plane was landing. The plane's wing fatally injured both girls. This would later earn them a Darwin Award.|||
|13 April 2017||India||5||Transport||Police said Taraknath Makal was travelling by train with four friends – all aged between 25 and 30 years – when he reportedly leaned out of the door to take a selfie. However, he lost his footing and fell off the train. Makal’s companions jumped out to save him, but ended up getting mowed down by another train coming from the opposite direction. While the four friends – Sumit Kumar, Sanjiv Polley, Kajal Saha and Chandan Polley – lost their lives, Makal is fighting for his life in a hospital.[needs update] The incident occurred between Liluah and Belur stations, in the vicinity of Howrah, India.|||
|30 April 2017||Germany||1||Transport||A Scottish man was knocked down and killed after trying to take a selfie on a German motorway. He was with two friends when he was hit by a car on the A24 Autobahn in Gudow, near Hamburg. Witnesses reported seeing the three men taking "cell phone pictures of themselves".|||
|24 May 2017||India||2||Drowned||Two youths 21 and 22 years old from Hooghly district, India, drowned in a fish pond while taking a selfie as they did not know how to swim. They were taking selfies in waist-deep water but suddenly, the duo slipped from the bank and went underwater. The locals first failed to find their bodies. Later, divers from Kolkata recovered both the bodies from the pond.|||
|30 May 2017||India||2||Transport||At Alwal Railway station near Secunderabad, India, a man died while another lost his hand when the duo was run over by a moving train while taking selfies.|||
|7 June 2017||India||1||Animal||A man in Dhenkanal district was seriously injured by a wild elephant when he tried to take a selfie with the animal.|||
|11 June 2017||Sri Lanka||2||Transport||Two youths from same family in Sri Lanka were killed when they were hit by a train while they were taking a selfie standing on the rail track. According to the police, the two brothers, aged 25 and 12, were standing on the coastal train track between the Bambalapitiya and Kollupitiya stations and attempting to take a selfie when they were hit by Aluthgama bound express train from Maradana to Galle.|||
|11 June 2017||Russia||4||Transport||Four children aged 10 to 13 were hit by a train while trying to take a selfie on a railway line in Nadezhdinsky District of Primorsky Krai, 43 km northwest of Vladivostok, Russia. Three were killed and one survived with injuries.|||
|13 June 2017||Sri Lanka||2||Transport||A 24-year-old groom was killed and his bride seriously injured when the newly-wed couple tried to take a selfie on the railway track at Kahawa, in the Southern Province, Sri Lanka. According to eyewitnesses, the couple had ignored warning signals given by the people in the area saying that the train was coming.|||
|13 June 2017||Russia||1||Electrocution||A 15-year-old boy was killed when he tried to climb onto a high-voltage wire to take a selfie in Perm Krai, Russia.|||
|16 June 2017||Russia||1||Electrocution||A 17-year-old boy was killed when he took a selfie near a high-voltage electric cable in Novosibirsk Oblast, Russia.|||
|17 June 2017||Russia||1||Electrocution||A 14-year-old girl was electrocuted when taking a selfie on a railway bridge in Moscow Oblast, Russia, when her head accidentally touched the overhead wires.|||
|22 June 2017||United Kingdom||1||Fall||A 23-year-old woman from South Korea fell from Seaford Head while jumping in the air to pose for a photo.|||
|1 July 2017||Nigeria||2||Drowned||Four undergraduate students of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria were taking selfies in a canoe while boating on a campus pond. The canoe capsized. Two students who could swim barely made it to safety while two others drowned.|||
|16 July 2017||India||48||Fire||48 people were injured when standing too close to a burning bakery in Chennai, India to take selfies. They repeatedly ignored warnings advising them to move away from the blaze.|||
|25 July 2017||India||1||Animal||A 30-year-old man sneaked into the Bannerghatta Biological Park near Bangalore, India, with friends to take selfies with an elephant that later trampled him to death.|||
|26 July 2017||Hungary||1||Fall||A local girl fell off a bridge in Budapest suffering serious injuries while taking a selfie.|||
|26 July 2017||India||1||Drowned||An 18-year-old was swept into the sea and drowned while he was taking a selfie at a beach in Mumbai, India during high tide.|||
|11 August 2017||India||1||Electrocution||A 17-year-old boy climbed on top of a train in Ambarnath, India to take a selfie but came into contact with a live wire, suffering severe injuries from the resulting electric shock.|||
|26 August 2017||India||1||Electrocution||A 17-year-old boy attempted to take a selfie on top of a train carriage in Tambaram railway station, India. He touched a live wire, suffered severe burns from electric shock and died four days later.|||
|2 September 2017||India||1||Animal||A youth in Rourkela, Odisha was trampled to death by a wild elephant while trying to take a selfie with the animal.|||
|12 September 2017||United Kingdom||1||Transport||A 41-year-old woman from New Zealand who took a selfie as she rode her bike died after she fell off shortly afterwards, following a night out to celebrate her mum's birthday in London. Graphic designer and mother-of-two was with mum when they rode home from the pub and the accident happened, an inquest into Greenway's was told on Thursday. The 41-year-old had drunk two cocktails and four glasses of wine. But she was not wearing a helmet and may have been riding relaxed and one-handed when she tumbled to the floor, suffering fatal head injuries.|||
|16 September 2017||Malaysia||1||Fall||A 20-year-old man believed to be taking a selfie died after he fell from the 16th floor of a resort hotel in Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia. It is believed that he had climbed a wall on the 16th floor of the hotel’s car park to take photographs when he slipped and fell.|||
|12 November 2017||United Kingdom||1||Fall||A 20-year-old woman from New Zealand died on November 14 after she allegedly attempted to take a selfie near a second-storey window in London. She suffered a serious brain injury as a result of the fall.|||
|25 December 2017||Mexico||1||Fall||A 20-year-old woman from Aguascalientes (Mexico) died during a selfie session in the Malpaso Dam, a popular spot in the State of Aguascalientes. According to witnesses, she accessed a restricted zone to take the selfie before slipping and falling 15 meters, dying from severe craneoencephalic traumatism.|||
|8 January 2018||Croatia||1||Electrocution||In Zagreb, Croatia, 14-year-old boy climbed onto the roof of a train cargo wagon where he wanted to take a selfie. He was electrocuted and his body "burned like a torch". Firefighters could not do anything until the power was turned off.|||
|11 January 2018||Colombia||1||Fall||In Gámbita, Santander, Colombia A 19-year-old girl fell while trying to take a selfie at "Manto de la Virgen" falls.|||
|24 January 2018||India||1||Transport||A 22-year-old Indian man was struck by a train while recording a selfie video very close to some train tracks. His selfie video captured the entire incident, showing the man being struck after brazenly ignoring the train's horn. The video released went viral, However, some media are reporting that it was a hoax and that the man is still alive with no injuries.|||
|9 February 2018||Thailand||2||Transport||A 24-year-old Thai woman died as a result of her injuries when a train hit her while attempting to take a photo with an outgoing train in the background near Samsen train station in Bangkok’s Phaya Thai district. A man, believed to be a colleague of the victim, was knocked unconscious by the train, suffering a head injury and a broken arm.|||
|20 April 2018||Greece||1||Fall||In Keratsini, Greece, a 16-year-old boy died after he fell from a height of 60 meters after climbing on a rock to take a selfie at a park.|||
|22 April 2018||Brazil||3||Fall||In Castelo do Piauí, Piauí, Brazil A 22-year-old woman and two girls aged 16 and 15 fell from a height of 10 meters when taking a selfie on a bridge in Piauí, Northeast Brazil when the platform on the side of the bridge collapsed. They suffered fractures.|||
|30 April 2018||Brazil||1||Fall||At Corumbá Lake in Caldas Nova, a 34-year-old man ended up drowning, after falling off a platform in an attempt to take a selfie.|||
|2 May 2018||India||1||Animal||In Nabarangpur, Odisha, India, a man tried to take a selfie with a wounded bear and was mauled to death.|||
|11 June 2018||Indonesia||1||Fall||A 46 year old Chinese tourist died after falling into the sea while taking a selfie on a cliff at Devil's Tears on Nusa Lembongan, an island off the coast of Bali.|||
|12 June 2018||Portugal||2||Fall||On the Praia dos Pescadores, Ericeira, Portugal, an Australian couple fell to their deaths when they tried to take a selfie on a 30 meter high wall.|||
|5 September 2018||United States||1||Fall||An Israeli teen fell to his death while trying to take a selfie at Yosemite National Park.|||
|19 September 2018||United States||1||Fall||A Californian woman fell to her death while taking selfies on the edge of a 200-foot cliff over Lake Superior at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.|||
|12 October 2018||Panama||1||Fall||A Portuguese woman fell to her death while taking a selfie on the 27th floor balcony of a Panamanian residential building.|||
|25 October 2018||United States||2||Fall||An Indian couple fell to their deaths from Taft Point at Yosemite National Park.|||
|12 November 2018||Sri Lanka||1||Fall||A German tourist died on after stumbling off a precipitous cliff in Sri Lanka while taking a photo of herself. The 35-year-old woman was taking pictures with her friend when she fell off the World's End, a sheer cliff about 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) high. The Sri Lankan army and volunteers recovered the body after a six-hour search involving air support and climbing. World's End is located in Horton Plains National Park in central Sri Lanka and is one of the Indian Ocean island's biggest tourist attractions.|||
- CNN, Naomi Ng, for. "Twitter declares 2014 year of the selfie". CNN. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "The year of the selfie". www.google.ie. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Distracted Driving 2014 (DOT HS 812 260)". DOT NHTSA. April 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- Ashley Halsey III (March 30, 2015). "Flossing, selfies, romantic encounters: Driving distractions, by the numbers". Washington Post. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Annie Gowen (14 January 2016). "More people died taking selfies in India last year than anywhere else in the world — The Washington Post". The Washington Post. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Freeze frame: States asked to spot 'selfie danger' areas". Hindustan Times. August 10, 2016. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Bansal, Agam; el al (July 2018). "Selfies: A boon or bane?". Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. doi:10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_109_18. PMID 30234062. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Selfie Tragedy Forever Impacts Those Left Behind". InsideTrack. Union Pacific Railroad. 8 December 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Hollenhorst, John; Page, Jared; Romboy, Dennis; Leonard, Wendy (16 October 2011). "Utah County community mourns loss of teenagers hit by train". Deseret News. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Teenager leapt in front of Tube train after taking selfie called 'last pic before I die' inquest hears". Mirror. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Man dies while taking selfie on top of train". The Local (Spain). 18 March 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Withnall, Adam (27 April 2014). "Selfie crash death: Woman dies in head-on collision seconds after uploading pictures of herself and 'HAPPY' status to Facebook". The Independent.
- "Woman Dies After Posting Selfie While Driving". The News Wheel. 27 August 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Correspondent, By Akhel Mathew, (2014-05-22). "Selfie boy, 15, killed by train in Kerala". Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Mackay, Don (2014-06-12). "Teenager plunges 60ft to death onto rocks after 'trying to take selfie'". Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Felongco, Gilbert P. (4 July 2014). "Student falls to death while taking 'selfie'". Gulf News. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "15-year-old boy accidentally shoots self while taking selfie". ANC Yahoo News. 22 August 2014. Archived from the original on August 26, 2014.
- Zoe Szathmary (August 3, 2016). "Man accidentally kills himself with a shot to the head while posing for gun selfie on Facebook". Daily Mail. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- Moran, Lee (4 August 2014). "Mexican man accidentally shoots himself in head while posing for selfie". New York Daily News. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
Oscar Otero Aguilar, 21, had reportedly been drinking with pals in Mexico City last weekend when he pointed the loaded gun at his face for the snap.
- "Video: Polish couple killed in cliff fall after posing for 'selfies'". The Daily Telegraph. 11 August 2014.
- "Selfie attempt atop stationary train claims Kerala teen's life". The Indian Express. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Becky Jacobs (February 24, 2016). "Man sentenced to 6 months in jail for killing cyclist in 2014 accident". Grand Forks Herald. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Lazzaro, Sage (16 October 2014). "18-Year-Old Dies Attempting Beach Birthday Selfie". The New York Observer.
- Corrales, Nestor (15 October 2014). "Selfie in front of Bangui windmills turns deadly". Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- "Student drowns while trying to take selfie at Ilocos beach". GMA News Online. 14 October 2014.
- Readhead, Harry (5 November 2014). "Tourist Sylwia Rajchel dies after falling from Puente de Triana bridge, Seville, taking selfie". Metro News.
- Lazzaro, Sage (5 November 2014). "Tourist Falls to Death Taking Selfie on Puente de Trianak Bridge". The New York Observer.
- "Joburg woman in deadly fall was on first date". News24. 19 January 2015.
- "Tragic love story: Woman falls to her death while taking selfie on first date". The New Paper. 12 May 2015.
- "Russia launches 'safe selfie' guide in light of deaths". aljazeera.com. 7 July 2015.
- Mishra, Ishita (27 January 2015). "Selfie in front of running train costs three college-goers their life". The Times of India.
- "Israeli plunges to death from India train while taking selfie". The Times of Israel. February 6, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- pmalatesta (February 23, 2015). "Man struck and killed by train while posing for selfie". WGN-TV. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Nagpur: Seven youths drown in lake while taking a selfie". ABP Live. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Press Trust of India (23 March 2015). "Seven youths drown in lake". Business Standard. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Dominic Smith (April 9, 2015). "Film fan killed while taking selfie in front of train was 'trying to recreate favourite movie scene'". The Mirror. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "German tourist dies in Italy selfie fall". The Local. April 2, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Buchanan, Rose Troup (15 May 2015). "Romanian teenager dies attempting to take 'ultimate selfie'". The Independent.
- "Death snap: Russia launches 'safe selfie' guide". The Sydney Morning Herald. 9 July 2015.
- "Snuff selfie: 21yo Russian woman shoots self in head posing for photo". Russia Today. 23 May 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Mt. Merapi to prepare selfie spot for visitors". Jakarta Post. 18 June 2015.
- Muryanto, Bambang (17 May 2015). "Mt. Merapi climber falls into crater". Jakarta Post.
- Erviani, Ni Komang (22 May 2015). "Singaporean dies when taking selfie in Bali". Jakarta Post.
- "Pakistan Police Shoots 15-Year-Old Boy Taking Selfie with Toy Gun". NDTV. June 23, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Two teenage girls fighting for life after electric shock while trying to snap selfies on top of train". 11 June 2015.
- "Be careful- A risky selfie can lead you to death". Daily Times. July 9, 2016. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Stop taking 'stupid and dangerous selfies' Croatia says after Canadian falls off cliff". CTV News. July 9, 2016. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "21yo woman dies in fall from Moscow bridge while taking selfie". Russia Today. 4 July 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Carr, Simon (24 July 2015). "Rattlesnake selfie: Man nearly killed posing with snake for picture landed with £100k medical bill". mirror.
- O'Connell, Oliver (22 July 2015). "San Diego's Todd Fassler who suffered rattlesnake bite given $153k medical bill". Daily Mail Online.
- "Bison selfies are a bad idea: Tourist gored in Yellowstone as another photo goes awry". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Balikbayan dies while taking 'selfie' on Pagudpud highway". GMA Network. July 22, 2015. Archived from the original on February 9, 2016.
- Sobot, Rita (10 August 2015). "Man gored to death by bull while taking a 'selfie'". Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- Qin Xie (September 3, 2015). "Man fell off 100 foot cliff and died while taking photos of himself using a selfie stick". Daily Mail. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Golby, Joel (2 September 2015). "A Teenager Has Accidentally Shot Himself Dead While Taking a Selfie". Vice. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Japan tourist at Taj Mahal 'dies after fall'". BBC. 18 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Schoolboy killed while taking extreme selfie". Yahoo! Canada. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Mark Piggott (September 30, 2015). "Selfie dangers: Teen falls 9 floors to his death as he poses on rooftop in Russia". International Business Times. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Engineering Student falls off cliff trying to take selfie, dies in TN". The Hindu. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Attempt to take selfie turns fatal for engineering student". India Today. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Un menor de 14 años resulta electrocutado cuando se hacía un selfi en el techo de un tren". 20 minutos. 19 October 2015.
- Rita Sobot (October 16, 2015). "Selfie-taking tourist dies in hospital after falling into boiling geyser". The Mirror. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "2 engg students drown trying to take selfies in Surendranagar". The Times of India. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Staff Reporter (28 November 2015). "One killed in accident while taking selfies on rail track". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- IANS (4 November 2015). "Mumbai schoolboy dies while taking selfie atop train". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Liu Chuen Chen (4 November 2015). "Mumbai teen electrocuted to death while taking selfie atop train". India Today. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Young Pakistani man dies while attempting selfie with moving train". Al Arabiya News. 15 December 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Obalolu Davies (December 30, 2015). "2 teens killed by a lorry after trying to take daring Selfie". Pulse. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- See, Aie Balagtas (January 5, 2016). "19-year-old student falls to death after taking selfies on Ermita roofdeck". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- "Corpo de turista que caiu no mar enquanto tirava 'selfie' é encontrado" (in Portuguese). Globo. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Jammu and Kashmir: Youth falls to death while taking selfie from Reasi Fort". The Indian Express. 9 January 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "College girl drowns in Bandra while taking selfies". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Woman drowns while taking selfie with friends at Bandra Bandstand". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Teen Taking Selfie Killed By Train in India". news.sky.com. Sky News. February 1, 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Karnataka: Three medical students drown in irrigation canal while taking selfies". The Indian Express. 13 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Teenager Drowns While Clicking Selfie, Friend Dies Trying To Save Him". NDTV.com. 14 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Nashik: Teen drowns in dam while taking selfie, friend dies saving". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Brice, Chloe (19 February 2016). "Tiny dolphin killed by crowd of beachgoers for selfie in Argentina". ABC News. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Dolphin was 'already dead' when crowd in Argentina handled it – tourist | Environment | The Guardian". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "5 tourists fall off cliff while clicking selfie in Goa, 2 severely hurt". Hindustan Times. March 3, 2016. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
Five tourists were recently injured – two of them severely – after falling off a cliff while clicking selfies at Anjuna village in Goa, police said on Thursday.
- "Girl falls in Narayani while clicking selfie". The Himalayan Times. February 29, 2016. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "Wash. man accidentally killed himself while taking a selfie with his gun, police say". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Gun-toting selfie turns fatal". Daily Mail. August 3, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Genevieve Gannon (August 3, 2016). "Fatal selfie: Melbourne man dies taking photo of friend holding shotgun to his head". The Age. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Man falls to death trying to take selfie of a lifetime". Hong Kong Economic Journal. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- Uma Sudhir (5 April 2016). "Teen Dies While Taking Selfie At Zoo A Day After Final Exam". Retrieved 23 April 2016.
Manjeet and his family were near the butterfly park when he climbed a rock fountain almost three times his height, apparently to take a selfie from the top.
- Express News Service (6 April 2016). "Another Selfie Death, This Time at Hyderabad Zoological Park". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
At around 1.30 pm, the family reached the Butterfly Park when Manjeet entered the no-entry zone to risk a selfie.
- "2 killed while taking selfie on railway tracks". The Times of India. 16 April 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
While returning from the temple, they stopped at the railway tracks to take selfies, said police. They got so engrossed in the act that they could not hear or see Brahmputra Mail approaching on the same tracks.
- "Selfie perigosa: turista despenca 35 metros ao tirar foto em cachoeira" (in Portuguese). Noticias 7. 22 April 2016. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "16-year-old boy dies while taking selfie at railway crossing in UP's Saharanpur". 16 April 2016.
- "Mulher morre após cair de pedra em cachoeira em Campos, no RJ" (in Portuguese). Globo. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- Veerappan, Devanathan (26 April 2016). "Youth falls off Kodaikanal cliff while taking selfie". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Pathankot boy dies after shooting himself while taking a selfie". The Indian Express. 30 April 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Indian teen dies after accidentally shooting himself while taking selfie".
- "The most deadly selfie: Man killed while taking pictures with a 1.5-tonne WALRUS". The Daily Mail. 24 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Selfie addiction sometime too dangerous to life". Ananda Bazar. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- Bell, Kim (June 7, 2016). "Overland teen fatally shot himself while taking selfie, police say". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- "Selfie on check dam drowns duo". The Times of India. 2016-06-14. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- Andy Mai (June 20, 2016). "FDNY EMS lieutenant killed in upstate mountain climbing accident". NY Daily News. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "EMT fatally falls off cliff while taking selfie". Fx Tribune. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Selfie In River Ganga Causes Death Of 7 Students". NDTV Convergence Limited. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Another selfie death? Youth falls off expressway bridge near Khandala, dies". Hindustan Times. June 23, 2016. Archived from the original on June 23, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Youth Falls to Death While Taking Selfie On Bridge". The Sisat Daily. June 24, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Gabriel Samuels (July 5, 2016). "Two tourists plunge to their deaths in Peru in separate selfie accidents". The Independent. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- "Tourist dies in Machu Picchu taking photo". June 30, 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- The Tribune (2 July 2016). "Selfie costs man his life". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- "Four selfie-taking youths killed in Madhya Pradesh flash floods". Times of India. July 6, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Chaitraly Deshmukh (July 13, 2016). "Clicking selfie claims another life! Mumbai boy falls in quarry at Khandala". Mid-Day. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Elephant kills Selfie photographers". Archy World News. July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Two Selfie Lovers Died While clicking Selfie In Lalpur kosi Dam at Rampur". samacharplus.com. UP/Uttarakhand. July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- "2 Vietnamese hit and killed by train while taking selfie". Thanhnien News. July 14, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Padmini Sivarajah (July 18, 2016). "Couple taking selfie swept away by giant wave in Kanyakumari". The Times of India. Archived from the original on July 18, 2016. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- "Selfie craze: Two killed after falling down Alekan waterfall". Udayavani. July 19, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Youth dies while taking selfie near falls". The Hindu. July 24, 2016. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Kautilya Singh (July 27, 2016). "Woman falls into river while taking selfie, dies". Times of India. Archived from the original on July 30, 2016. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "National Level Athlete Dies While Taking Selfie". News18. July 31, 2016. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "National level athlete dies while clicking selfie". Business Standard. July 31, 2016. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- Rajat Rai (August 1, 2016). "Bhadohi wrestler, 24, dies while taking a 'reckless selfie' by the edge of Vindham Waterfall during a picnic". Daily Mail. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- Somak Adhikari (August 2, 2016). "Another Selfie Death, This Time A Wrestler Drowns In A Waterfall". India Times. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Fla. woman shoots self while posing with gun for Snapchat". Palm Beach Post. August 2, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "Selfie brings death to AP engineering student". The Hindu. August 5, 2016. Retrieved August 5, 2016.
- "Women Dies After Falling Into Gorge to Take Selfie". Times of India. August 10, 2016. Archived from the original on August 10, 2016. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Pakistani girl, parents drown in latest selfie deaths". Daily Mail. August 16, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "11-year-old girl, parents drown in selfie accident near Peshawar". Dawn. August 16, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "Varsity bans selfies after student plunges to death". Times of India. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Indian teenagers swept into the sea while attempting to take a selfie". rushincrash.com. August 12, 2016. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- "Tamil Nadu: Selfie turns fatal, class 12 boy dies". Free Voice. August 16, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "35-year-old accidentally shoots herself while taking selfie with a loaded gun". NewsX. August 17, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2016.
- Sarfraz Ali (August 21, 2016). "Two more drown in latest selfie deaths in Kunhar River". Daily Pakistan. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "Three women killed in avalanche while taking selfie near Saif-ul-Malook". Pakistan Today. August 21, 2016. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "Distressing selfie incident claims three lives near Lake Saiful Malook". Daily Mail International. August 22, 2016. Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- Srinivasa Rao Apparasu (September 18, 2016). "5 engineering students drown taking selfies in Telangana". Hindustan Times. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Selfie kills again, claims five engineering students lives near Dharmasagar reservoir". New Indian Express. 18 September 2016. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "An Italian tourist got killed while attempting to take a selfie with an Elephant in Kenya". So True. September 20, 2016. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Boy falls into river while taking selfie". Kathmandu Post. October 2, 2016. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "Selfie craze claims 2 lives in Hyderabad; teenagers drown in quarry". NewsX. October 3, 2016. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "Selfie tragedy! Two Sri Lankan girls drown in Oman". Khaleej Times. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Asseem Shaikh (9 October 2016). "25-year-old falls to death in Lonavla while taking selfie". Times of India. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Chinese woman killed in Sri Lanka after falling from train". Xinhua News Agency. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Student missing in the river while snapping selfie – Anandabazar". Anandabazar. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Death by selfie: Software engineer drowns in Odisha". New Indian Express. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Girl, aged 12, dies after taking extreme selfie". BBC. 18 October 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Telangana: Two students drown to death while taking selfie". News Crab. 12 November 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Death by selfie: Two BTech students drown at Nagarjuna Sagar in Telangana". Hindustan Times. 12 November 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Engg student dies while taking selfie in TN, hit by train he wanted in backdrop". hindustantimes.com. 1 January 2017. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "'Killfie': Indian student dies after being hit by train while taking selfie". rt.com. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "A man fell into River Indus and drowned on Wednesday (4th January 2017) as he tried to capture his selfie at the Lansdowne Bridge". www.geo.tv. Geo NEWS Pakistan. 4 January 2017. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "For the death of a young man in Rijeka guilty – the selfie?". hr.n1info.com. 9 January 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- NYOOOZ (5 February 2017). "22-yr-old falls into ravine while taking selfie, dies". nyoooz.com. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- ABP ANANDA (15 January 2017). "Youth dies after being hit by running train while taking selfie". Retrieved 21 January 2017 – via YouTube.
- Pankhuri Yadav (17 January 2017). "Train crushes 2 boys clicking selfies in Delhi – Times of India". IndiaTimes.com. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "22-year-old crushed under train while taking selfie". IndiaTimes.com. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "22-year-old falls into ravine while taking selfie, dies". IndiaTimes.com. 6 February 2017. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Charlotte England (9 February 2017). "Student posing for selfie swept to her death by fast flowing dam water". The Independent. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- Bernard Lagan (9 February 2017). "'Selfie' student swept to death by dam torrent". The Times. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Teen cheerleader dies taking selfies in freak beach accident". New York Post. 27 March 2017. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- Amy Moss Strong (May 27, 2017). "Eugene girl dies after being trapped by log in surf in Bandon". Bandon Western World. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- "Una avioneta mata a dos jovencitas que se tomaban fotos en una pista de aterrizaje – Proceso". Proceso (in Spanish). 2017-03-27. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "Air Strike Out". Darwin Awards]. 25 March 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- "Man falls off train for dramatic selfie, 4 friends die trying to save him". Hindustan Times. 14 April 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Scot killed 'while taking selfie' on German motorway". BBC News. 1 May 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Selfie in pond kills two, cops blame undercurrent". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Man crushed to death while attempting selfie before moving train – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Odisha: Man injured after attempt to take selfie with wild elephant goes wrong". Hindustan Times. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- "Two brothers in Sri Lanka die while taking selfie on rail track". colombopage. 11 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Killed in Primorye, the kids wanted to make selfi on the background of the train". Chelorg.com. 11 June 2017. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Selfie tragedy on Trans-Siberian rail line as three children killed by freight train". The Siberian Times. 12 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Another selfie tragedy: Groom killed, bride injured". colombopage. 13 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Six children are killed within a week as they try to take 'the ultimate selfies' in spate of fatal accidents across russia". Daily Mail. 20 June 2017.
- "Student fell off cliff 'posing for photo'". BBC News. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "Selfie Leads To Tragic Death Of Two FUTA Students". Sahara Reporters. July 2, 2017. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "Chennai: Bakery fire injures 48 onlookers standing too close, taking selfies". India Today. 17 July 2017. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "Man Crushed To Death While Taking Selfie With Elephant". Huffington Post India. 27 July 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- "Szelfizés közben zuhant le egy lány a Margit hídról". July 26, 2017. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- "Mumbai: 18-year-old Washed Away by High-Tide While Taking Selfie". India.com. 28 July 2017. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "Teen taking selfie on train electrocuted, battling for life". Times of India. 11 August 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Chennai: Teen's selfie stunt on train leads to death". Deccan Chronicle. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Debabrata Mohanty (2 September 2017). "Odisha youth tramped to death by elephant while taking selfie". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- "'Very rare complication' killed New Zealand woman after cycling selfie accident". Stuff.co.nz. 14 September 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Man falls to death, believed to be taking 'selfie' at Genting Highlands ..." New Straits Times. 16 September 2017. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "New Zealand woman dies taking selfie in London". 9Honey – Nine. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Joven muere al tomarse selfie en preso Malpaso de Aguascalientes". El Universar. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Horror on the Western Railway Station in Zagreb: The boy climbed to the roof of the wagon for selfie, struck by the current, and then ignited". Danas.hr. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- "Joven murió tras caer de una cascada cuando buscaba tomarse una selfie". El Tiempo. 11 January 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Sickening moment man is smashed in the head by a train while trying to get the perfect selfie". The Sun (UK). 24 January 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Simon Veazey (31 January 2018). "Footage That Prompted Indian Government Warning on 'Killfies' Could Be Fake". Epoch Times. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- Molloy, Mark (2018-02-09). "Woman killed posing for selfie on train tracks in Thailand". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "16- year- old dies taking a selfie at Keratsini, Piraeus". Greek City Times. 21 April 2018. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Catarina Costa (23 April 2018). "Três jovens caem de ponte no Piauí ao tirar selfie e sofrem fraturas". O Globo. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Ingrid Soares (1 May 2018). "Homem se desequilibra ao tirar selfie, cai em lago e morre afogado" (in Portuguese). Correio Brazilense. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- Debabrata Mohanty (3 May 2018). "Odisha man tries to click selfie with injured bear, is mauled to death". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Chinese tourist dies after falling from cliff taking a selfie". Jakarta Post. June 11, 2018.
- Rebecca Bratek (June 13, 2018). "Tourists taking selfie fall to their deaths in Portugal, officials say". CBS News. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- Lauren Hernandez (September 6, 2018). "Teen from Israel reportedly dies in Yosemite after taking selfie atop Nevada Fall". SFGate. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Woman falls to her death taking selfies at Michigan landmark". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Muere una mujer portuguesa en Panamá tras caer de un piso 27 mientras se hacía un «selfie»". abc (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Two die in fall from Yosemite Park vista; six fatalities in 2018". Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Brother: Indians died in Yosemite fall while taking selfie". Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "German dies after falling off World's End in Sri Lanka trying to take selfie". Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Segan, Sascha (4 February 2015). "6 Lethal Selfies You Need to Learn From". PC Magazine. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Selfie deaths: five people who died taking a selfie". The Week. 9 July 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Basu, Tanya (February 5, 2016). "Here's a Breakdown of Selfie-Related Deaths". New York. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Basu, Tanya; Us, Science of (February 11, 2016). "How selfie-related deaths happen". CNN. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- Torres, Kevin (March 8, 2016). "Startling statistic: More selfie deaths than shark-related deaths in 2015". KDVR. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Selfie Obsession kills over 60 people Worldwide – Report". Phone Radar. 6 June 2016.