NBCC (India) Limited
|Central-owned enterprise |
Public Sector Undertaking
|Traded as||BSE: 534309|
|Founded||Delhi, India (1960)|
|Dr. Anoop Kumar Mittal (Chairman-cum-Managing Director)|
|Revenue||₹70.95 billion (US$990 million) (2017-18)|
|Owner||Government of India|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Hindustan Steelworks Construction Limited (HSCL) |
Hospital Service Consultancy Corporation India Limited (HSCC)
NBCC (India) Limited (formerly National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited) is a blue-chip Government of India Navratna enterprise and a Central Public Sector undertaking which trades publicly in the market.The Company's present areas of operations are categorized into three main segments, i.e. (i) Project Management Consultancy (PMC) (ii) Real Estate Development (iii) EPC Contracting. NBCC acquired 100 per cent stake in hospital consultancy firm HSCC on Nov 6th 2018. HSCC is a 'Mini Ratna' Government of India Enterprise under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. The organization acquired over 51% stake in Hindustan Steelwork Construction Limited (HSCL), a PSU under the Steel Ministry in 2017.
NBCC is headquartered in New Delhi and it has 10 regional offices across India. The projects undertaken by the company are spread across the nation. In addition, NBCC has also undertaken overseas projects in countries like Iraq, Libya, Nepal, Mauritius, Turkey, Botswana, Maldives, Yemen, Oman, UAE. The organization has executed several landmark projects covering the re-development of government properties, construction of roads, railway stations, Hospitals & Medical Colleges, Institutions, Offices, Bridges, and Industrial & Environmental Structures.
NBCC is also designated as the implementing agency for executing projects under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojna (PMGSY), Solid Waste Management (SWM) and developmental work in North Eastern region.
NBCC is also working as Project Management Consultant (PMC) for the redevelopment of Pragati Maidan project of India Trade Promotion Organisation. A number of Central Government ministries and various State Governments are utilizing the services of NBCC as their extended engineering arm.
NBCC was incorporated in 1960 as a wholly owned Government of India enterprise under the erstwhile Ministry of Works, Housing & Supply (MoWHS), which is now known as the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
In 2007, NBCC paid a dividend to the Government of India for the first time and since then, it has been paying a dividend every year. In the year 2008, the Department of Public Enterprises of the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises, through its office memorandum No. 9(8)/2008-GM dated 3 October 2008 passed on the approval of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to upgrade NBCC from a Schedule "B" public sector enterprise to a Schedule "A" public sector enterprise. Subsequently, on 14 October 2008, the NBCC was granted Schedule "A" PSU status.
The Government of India granted the status of a 'Navratna Company' to NBCC with effect from 23 June 2014. The status of a 'Navratna PSE' made NBCC eligible to invest up to Rs 1,000 crore without the requirement of explicit government approval. Additionally, the status also allows the designated company to grow and successfully operate in a competitive environment and become a global player.
NBCC's business operations are divided into 3 broad categories:
- Project Management Consultancy (PMC): executing landmark new projects in diversified sectors and redevelopment projects for the government
- Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC): work in a niche market constructing chimneys and cooling towers for the power sector
- Real Estate Development: develop residential and commercial inventories for the government and the public at large
The company has been involved in the execution of projects in various sectors such as institutional, housing, industrial & environmental, transportation, power, as well as public welfare projects. The organization implements mega projects for various Ministries – both Central and State, PSUs, Government departments, as well as autonomous bodies.
The company has also executed milestone projects in the domain of environmental engineering, including Sewage Treatment Plants (STP), sewerage networks of major cities, Water Treatment Plants (WTP), Water Supply Network including raw water mains and Solid Waste Management.
The company has placed its focus on a redevelopment model which combines PMC with real estate & maintenance works to meet government housing requirements. The major projects executed through this model are the GPRA colonies at New Moti Bagh, Nauroji Nagar and East Kidwai Nagar, New Delhi.
In the order of Priority:
- Indo – Bangladesh/Indo-Pak border fencing works
- 1200 bedded hospital and medical college at Guwahati, Assam
- Hospitals for ESIC all across the country
- Solid Waste Management projects in 8 Airfield towns in India
- Bhubaneshwar and Mysore Airports
- NBCC Green View, Sector 37-D, Gurgaon
- VIBGYOR Towers, Kolkata- 876 flats/8 towers Residential Real Estate project
- NBCC Plaza, Saket, New Delhi- Commercial Real Estate project
- LEED certified Green Building project named Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs at Manesar, Haryana
- Water Treatment Plant at Kirkuk, Iraq
- Bir Hospital in Nepal
- Construction, furnishing and equipping of 200 bedded Indira Gandhi Memorial Medical Hospital at Male, Maldives
- 48 km Kohalpur Mahakali Highway Project, Nepal
- Baghdad University
- Museum and Library Building, Hetauda, Nepal
- 1000 Houses at Bani Walid and 432 houses at Ghat, Libya
- Runway and Terminal building at Ghat and Brak Airport, Libya
- Construction of 774 housing units of Dawran, Dhamar, Yemen
- Project Management Consultancy for 3600 housing units at Meer Project in Turkey
- Hotel Ninevah Oberoi at Mousul, Baghdad
Major projects under execution
- Indo-Bangladesh Border fencing (IBB) & Indo-Pak Border fencing (IPB).
- NBCC is executing various development projects in NER for Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Roads under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana in the state of Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Tripura etc.
- Atal Mission For Rejuvenation And Urban Transformation (AMRUT) has been established to build world-class infrastructure in urban conglomeration. NBCC has been appointed as executing agency by the State Governments of Haryana, Jharkhand and Tripura.
- Affordable housing projects on sick PSUs’ plots under Narendra Modi's Housing for All program
In July 2012, NBCC entered into MoU with The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) for implementing projects of NBCC with GREEN compliance. Under this, TERI will provide advice and consultancy to NBCC for undertaking future construction work as per green building and sustainable building concepts.
Post-2012, NBCC set a policy to incorporate sustainable green features into its projects. The features include zero waste, dual piping, rainwater harvesting, solar energy, smart electricity metering, and LED/energy efficient fixtures.
- NBCC's total income stood at INR 7,095 Cr in 2017-18
- In the same period (2017–18) profit after tax stands at INR 372.14 Cr
- Order pipeline of INR 80,000cr for 2017-18
- Net Worth: INR 1821 Cr.
- "Maharatna, Navratna and Miniratna CPSEs". Government of India.
- "NBCC to buy HSCC for Rs 285 crore". The Economic Times. 2018-09-13. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- 1, ET Now | Aug; 2018; Ist, 01 19 Pm, NBCC emerges as highest bidder for HSCC and EPI | The Economic Times Video, retrieved 2018-10-08
- "NBCC to build 225 road projects in Maoist-hit Koraput dist". Development Discourse. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "NBCC, ITPO Hold Joint Press Conference To Kick-start Pragati Maidan Redevelopment Program". businessworld.in. businessworld.in. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Union Government granted Navratna Status to EIL and NBCC". Jagran Josh. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Govt grants Navratna status to NBCC; stock hits record high". Business Standard. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "NBCC signs MoU for housing project near Connaught Place". Mint (newspaper). Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- "UP govt panel asks NBCC to complete half-finished flats". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "NBCC may get two land parcels from sick PSUs for housing projects". The Economic Times. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "NBCC bags Rs 1,000 cr orders from state governments". Contruction Week Online. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "NBCC to develop affordable housing projects on sick PSUs' plots". Financial Express. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Our order book stands at about ₹80,000 crore: NBCC chief". The Hindu Business Line.
- News Coverage at Mint (newspaper)
- Informational Coverage at Mint (newspaper)
- Collective News and Coverage at Business Standard
- Profile and Stock Overview at Reuters
- Profile and Stock Overview at The Financial Express
- Collective News and Coverage at The Economic Times
- Bombay Stock Exchange index at Bombay Stock Exchange
- News Coverage at The Times of India
- Project News and PMC coverage at Projects Today