|Village of Northfield|
The comfortable corner of the North Shore
|• Total||3.23 sq mi (8.37 km2)|
|• Land||3.23 sq mi (8.37 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|• Density||1,780.50/sq mi (687.44/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area codes||847 and 224|
|Wikimedia Commons||Northfield, Illinois|
Northfield is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States, located approximately 19 miles (31 km) north of downtown Chicago. As of the 2020 census, the village's population was 5,751. It is part of a collection of upscale residential communities north of Chicago that belong to New Trier and Northfield Townships and the greater North Shore.
Northfield is located in Northfield Township, Cook County at 42°6'N 87°46'W (42.10,-87.77).
According to the 2021 census gazetteer files, Northfield has a total area of 3.23 square miles (8.37 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2020 census there were 5,751 people, 2,407 households, and 1,710 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,780.50 inhabitants per square mile (687.45/km2). There were 2,420 housing units at an average density of 749.23 per square mile (289.28/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 82.84% White, 0.47% African American, 0.16% Native American, 9.23% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.78% from other races, and 6.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.83% of the population.
There were 2,407 households, out of which 23.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.53% were married couples living together, 9.35% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.96% were non-families. 27.30% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.89 and the average family size was 2.36.
The village's age distribution consisted of 18.8% under the age of 18, 4.4% from 18 to 24, 16.3% from 25 to 44, 32.1% from 45 to 64, and 28.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 52.3 years. For every 100 females, there were 85.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $143,661, and the median income for a family was $200,132. Males had a median income of $89,089 versus $56,364 for females. The per capita income for the village was $103,893. About 8.7% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.6% of those under age 18 and 4.7% of those age 65 or over.
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||4,824||4,706||89.00%||81.83%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||26||25||0.48%||0.43%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||2||1||0.04%||0.02%|
|Asian alone (NH)||364||529||6.72%||9.20%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||2||0||0.04%||0.00%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||7||7||0.13%||0.12%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||36||205||0.66%||3.56%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||159||278||2.93%||4.83%|
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
Northfield is represented by Democrat Jan Schakowsky of Illinois's 9th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives, Democrat Tammy Duckworth and Democrat Dick Durbin in the United States Senate, State Representative Robyn Gabel, State Senator Laura Fine and Northfield Village President Greg Lungmus.
Northfield is home to New Trier High School's freshman campus.
A small part of Northfield (east of the former Chicago and Northwestern train tracks) is served by Avoca School District 37 in Wilmette. An even smaller part (south of Winnetka Avenue between Sunset Ridge Road and the Forest Preserve) is served by Glenview School District 34 in Glenview.
Christian Heritage Academy is a private school in Northfield that serves students in preschool through twelfth grade. It offers a Christian-based education, equipping students to be lifetime followers of Jesus Christ.
Northfield is also home to Glenview Montessori School, a fully accredited, non-sectarian school for 2-6 year olds. The Glenview Montessori School is part of the Deerfield Montessori Schools, one of the first Montessori schools established in Illinois.
Saint Louise de Marillac High School was an all-girls Catholic secondary school in Northfield from 1967 to 1994, run by the Daughters of Charity. In 1994, Marillac merged with Loyola Academy. The campus was sold to Christian Heritage Academy.
The local Catholic parish, St. Phillip the Apostle, ran an elementary school which closed in 2004. The facility is currently leased by the Hyde Park Day School, a University of Chicago laboratory school for students with learning disabilities.
Northfield Fire-Rescue Department
The Northfield Fire-Rescue Department, headed by Chief Michael Nystrand, is a combination department. They respond to fire related emergencies, medical emergencies, and specialized rescue situations. The department operates out of one station, centrally located at 1800 Winnetka Avenue. The Northfield Fire Rescue Department's Paramedic program is overseen by Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, as part of Illinois EMS Region X.
Northfield Police Department
The Northfield Police Department, headed by Chief William Lustig, is responsible for all law enforcement operations in Northfield as well as emergency communications (E-911) for the Village. The police department, operated out of one station within the city hall complex, is well known for professionalism and good community relations. This department is Accredited by CALEA, and was one of the first in the State of Illinois to become so accredited.
The headquarters of Kraft Foods was formerly located in Northfield. Medline Industries now occupies Kraft's former office location. The Stepan Company, a manufacturer of specialty chemicals, is also headquartered in Northfield.
According to Northfield's 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|Employer||# of Employees|
|2||New Trier High School District No. 203||800|
|3||College of American Pathologists||635|
|5||Mariano's Fresh Market||151|
|6||Sunset Ridge Country Club||150|
|7||Fields Auto Group||144|
|8||North Shore Senior Center||120|
|9||Village of Northfield||103|
|10||Sunset Ridge School District 29||100|
- Lance Briggs, linebacker in the National Football League; former resident
- Stephen Calk (born 1965), banker, economic advisor to Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, and convicted felon. He was a resident of Northfield until his incarceration.
- Tyson Chandler, center in the national basketball association; former resident
- Chief Keef, rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer; former resident
- Luke Donald, professional golfer and former Northfield resident.
- Pat Fitzgerald, head football coach for the Northwestern Wildcats
- Robert Leo Hulseman (1932–2016), inventor of the red solo cup and CEO of the Solo Cup Company from 1980 to 2006. He was a Northfield resident at the time of his death.
- Jerry Reinsdorf (born 1936), owner of the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago White Sox; he was a resident of Northfield until 2016.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 15, 2022.
- "Northfield village, Illinois". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 15, 2022.
- Bureau, US Census. "Gazetteer Files". Census.gov. Retrieved June 29, 2022.
- "Decennial Census of Population and Housing by Decades". US Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2010: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Northfield village, Illinois". United States Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2020: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Northfield village, Illinois". United States Census Bureau.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved June 28, 2022.
- "2009 Fact Sheet Archived 2012-05-24 at the Wayback Machine." Kraft Foods. 6/7. Retrieved on January 30, 2011. "Corporate Offices Kraft Foods Inc. Three Lakes Drive Northfield, IL 60093"
- Village of Northfield CAFR
- Kim, Connie (January 20, 2022). "Price drops for Northfield home of convicted former Chicago bank executive tied to Donald Trump". The Real Deal. Retrieved August 28, 2023.
- Marotti, Ally (December 29, 2016). "Robert L. Hulseman, Chicago-area creator of famed red Solo Cup, dies at 84". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- Goldsborough, Bob (April 20, 2016). "Jerry Reinsdorf sells Northfield home". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved August 28, 2023.