|Pulwama District - Jammu and Kashmir|
Pulwama District shown within Jammu & Kashmir state
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Total||1,398 km2 (540 sq mi)|
|• Density||410/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
Pulwama is a district in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. District Pulwama came into being in the year 1979 in the larger interests of maintenance of law and order, closer supervision, more effective control and above all to ensure balanced development of the area. The district is centrally located in the valley of Kashmir and is a resting place for Adventure Tourists since it is full of clean water Streams, Lakes, Magnificent Trees and Mighty Mountains where the air is cool and water sweet. The district is also called Rice Bowl of Kashmir for maximum production of rice grains in the J & K state. Besides Pulwama is famous all over the world for Saffron cultivation which is mainly grown in the Karewa lands of Pampore, Kakapora and Pulwama blocks. Pulwama is often called the 'Anand of Kashmir' or 'Dudha-Kul of Kashmir' on account of its high milk production. The National Highway NH1 that connects Srinagar and Jammu passes through Pulwama.
This district consists of five development blocks: Tral, Keller, Pampore, Pulwama and Kakapora. Each block consists of a number of panchayats. However new tehsils were made in pulwama district in 2014.
Pulwama District has four assembly constituencies: Tral, Pampore, Pulwama and Rajpora.
According to the 2011 census Pulwama district has a population of 570,060, roughly equal to the nation of Solomon Islands or the US state of Wyoming. This gives it a ranking of 535th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 598 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,550/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 29.18%. Pulwama has a sex ratio of 913 females for every 1000 males, lower than the national average of 940, and a literacy rate of 65%., slightly higher than the national average of 64.3%.
- Islamic Model High School Ratnipora Pulwama
- Govt Central High School Pulwama
- Good Shephered Mission School Pulwama
- Morning Star Public High School Karimabad Pulwama
- Govt Boys M.M. Higher Secondary Institute Pulwama
- Govt Girls Higher Secondary Institute Pulwama
- Govt Women College Pulwama
- Govt High School Karimabad
- Govt Girls Middle School Karimabad
- M.M.E.T High School Pulwama
- MEI Pampore
- Zikra Educational Institute Pulwama
- Modern Public School Achan
- Govt Degree College Pulwama
- National Institute of Education and Training (NIET)
- New Horizons Public School Tiken Batpora (NHPS)
- Lyceum International School
- Dolphin International School
- Holy Mission Secondary School *kids kingdom public school Rahmoo
- kingson English medium school
- Islamic model institute pathan pulwama
- Holy blossom public high school pulwama
- Statement showing the number of blocks in respect of 22 Districts of Jammu and Kashmir State including newly Created Districts dated 2008-03-13, accessed 2008-08-30
- "ERO's and AERO's". Chief Electoral Officer, Jammu and Kashmir. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Solomon Islands 571,890 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
|Badgam district||Anantnag district|
|Shopian district||Kulgam district|
|This article related to a location in Jammu and Kashmir is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|