Star Wars: Battlefront (2015 video game)
|Star Wars: Battlefront|
|Developer(s)||EA Digital Illusions CE|
|Series||Star Wars: Battlefront|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, online multiplayer|
|Distribution||Optical disc, download|
Star Wars: Battlefront is an upcoming video game in the Star Wars: Battlefront series, under development by DICE. The game was introduced at Electronic Arts' E3 press conference on June 10, 2013. While no release date has been announced, at EA's annual meeting of stockholders chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen indicated that the game would be released in the Q2/Q3 of 2015, which correlates to when Star Wars Episode VII is expected to be released.
In May 2013, publisher/developer Electronic Arts obtained exclusive rights to develop Star Wars games for consoles and PC, and subsidiaries including DICE, Visceral Games, and BioWare started developing Star Wars games.
At Electronic Arts' E3 2013 press conference, DICE unveiled a teaser trailer for a game titled Star Wars: Battlefront, featuring first-person footage of a battle set on Hoth. The game will be built with the Frostbite 3 engine; studio head Patrick Söderlund stated that the game would be "DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be", but would still incorporate elements from the previous two games. As such, DICE did not brand the new game as a sequel to Battlefront II, but a re-launch of the franchise. Söderlund said that the new Battlefront game almost wasn't developed, but that staffers at DICE lobbied to be given the project; he called DICE's development of Battlefront "a match made in heaven".
- "Star Wars: Battlefront is "DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be"". Eurogamer. June 13, 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Star Wars: Battlefront reboot due around summer 2015". Eurogamer. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- Thier, Dave (10 June 2013). "EA Announces New Star Wars: Battlefront Game". Forbes. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- McWhertor, Michael (July 31, 2013). "DICE's Star Wars: Battlefront expected summer 2015, EA says". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "Star Wars Battlefront in development at Battlefield studio DICE". Polygon. June 10, 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Robinson, Andy. "Interview: EA's Patrick Söderlund". Computer and Video Games. Future plc. p. 2. Retrieved June 27, 2013.