Winchester High School (Massachusetts)
|Winchester High School|
|80 Skillings Road, Winchester,
|School district||Winchester, Massachusetts|
|Principal||Thomas E. Gwin, Ed.D.|
|Student to teacher ratio||1:6 (estimated)|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Average SAT scores||591 verbal
1789 total (2014-2015)
|Newspaper||The Red and Black|
Winchester High School is a comprehensive 9-12 high school located in Winchester, Massachusetts. Founded in 1850, it moved into its current location in the spring of 1972. Consistently ranked among the best of Massachusetts public schools, close to 98% of students graduated in 2012, with about 96% of those continuing to higher education.
A major three-phase reconstruction and expansion of the school started in 2014 and is expected to be largely completed by September 2017. Most of the original school will be rebuilt right from the foundation, and the basement will be decommissioned to address repeated flooding. The school will remain in use during construction.
Winchester High School fields teams in the following sports:
|Seasons||Boys and girls||Boys||Girls||Coed|
|Fall||Cross country, soccer||Football||Swimming, volleyball, cheerleading, field hockey||Golf|
|Winter||Basketball, ice hockey, indoor track, alpine skiing, nordic skiing||Swimming, wrestling||Gymnastics|
|Spring||Tennis, lacrosse, track and field||Baseball, volleyball||Softball||Sailing, Crew, ultimate frisbee|
- Patrick Aufiero, Professional Hockey Player
- Joe Bellino, Halfback, Heisman Trophy winner in 1960 while at Navy. He also played with the Boston Patriots from 1965–67.
- Pat Badger, (Class of '85) Bassist of the band Extreme
- Bob Bigelow, 1971, College and NBA Basketball Player (University of Pennsylvania, Kansas City Kings, Boston Celtics)
- John Cazale, Stage and Screen Actor (The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter)
- Janet Doub Erickson (graphic artist and author)
- Tony Fryklund, current professional mixed martial arts fighter, formerly competing for Bellator MMA, the WEC, Strikeforce (mixed martial arts), and the UFC
- Wally Gagel, (Class of '81) Music Producer
- Art Johnson, former MLB player (Boston Braves)
- Kofi Kingston, WWE Wrestler
- Laurence Owen, while a student at Winchester High School, was the 1961 U. S. Ladies and North American Figure Skating Champion and placed 6th in the 1960 Winter Olympics in the same event. She appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine, under the caption "America's Most Exciting Girl Skater". On February 15, 1961, she died at age 16 along with her mother, Maribel Vinson-Owen, sister Maribel Owen and 16 other members of the U.S. Figure Skating Team near Brussels, Belgium, in a plane crash while en route to the World Figure Skating Championship in Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Alicia Sacramone (Class of '06) won a Silver Medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in the Artistic Gymnastics Team All-Around Competition. 10 time World Championship medalist (making her the most decorated American gymnast of all time), 19 time National medalist, and 5 time U.S. Vault Champion. Sacramone placed 4th in the 2008 Olympic vault event finals.
- Dan Spang, Professional Hockey Player
- Alison Hersey Risch, member of both the US Field Hockey (member of the initial induction class) and the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame. A standout player on the US women's lacrosse teams from 1961 to 1970, serving as the team captain from 1964 on. She played on US touring teams that visited Australia, Great Britain and Ireland. An internationally rated umpire, she has been officiating for 41 years and is still active at the Division III level.
- Captain Richard Phillips, (Class of '73) Captain of the Maersk Alabama when it was attacked by Somali pirates in April, 2009.
- Bjorn Poonen, (Class of '85) World-renowned mathematician
- Levni Yilmaz, Creator of Tales of Mere Existence
- "SAT Performance Report - School and District Profiles: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education". Profiles.doe.mass.edu. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- "Home". Winchester High School Project. Winchester EFPBC, Board of Selectmen and School Committee. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "Background". Winchester High School Project. Winchester EFPBC, Board of Selectmen and School Committee. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "Tony Fryklund UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.