Workplace by Facebook
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Workplace is an enterprise connectivity platform developed by Facebook, Inc. and featuring tools like groups, instant messaging and News Feed.
Facebook itself had been using a version of Workplace internally since 2011, when one of its engineers created groups that were only accessible to people inside the company. Alongside Facebook Messenger, these private groups helped Facebook employees work more efficiently together by reducing their reliance on email and other Software as a Service tools.
News Feed: The News Feed is a scrolling stream of posts that uses Facebook's machine learning algorithms to keep people up to date with relevant company announcements.
Groups: Groups are shared collaboration spaces where people can upload documents, leave comments, manage projects, and get work done with colleagues.
Multi-Company Collaboration: Workplace enables people to collaborate with external teams, partners or suppliers from within their Workplace account using secure and private groups, chats, and video calls.
Workplace Chat: Workplace Chat is an instant messaging tool that allows text, voice calls or video conferencing with up to 50 colleagues.
Live Video: Live Video enables users to broadcast live directly from their mobile and receive real-time feedback in the form of comments and reactions.
Auto Translate: Auto Translate uses the same machine learning technology that serves up 4.5 billion translations every day on Facebook to provide one-click translations in 46 languages.
People Directory: Find colleagues, build connections, and collaborate more effectively with a searchable database of profiles customized to individual organizations.
Workplace has two pricing options, Standard and Premium. Workplace Standard is free, while Workplace Premium is $4 USD per active user, per month. Workplace Premium is also offered free to registered non-profits and staff of educational institutions.
Workplace Premium customers act as data controllers and appoint Facebook as a data processor under the Workplace Agreement. These customers own and administer their account data. They can modify, delete or export it at any time.
Workplace holds the following compliance certificates:
- ISO 27018 – Information Security Management
- ISO 27001 – Information Security Management
- SOC 2 – Trust Services Principles
- SOC 3 – Service Organization Controls
- EU/US Privacy Shield Data Privacy Practices
Workplace and GDPR
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) standardizes data protection rules across the European Union (EU). It came into effect on 25 May 2018. GDPR builds on existing data protection law, while also adding new requirements. Most of the GDPR's requirements fall on data controllers. Workplace Premium customers act as data controllers and appoint Facebook as a data processor under the Workplace Agreement. Facebook and Workplace comply with all applicable data protection laws.
Workplace and Facebook
While Workplace accounts are set up and run separately from Facebook accounts, Workplace benefits from much of the underlying technology and innovation that powers Facebook.
Data Centers: Workplace data is stored across 12 Facebook-owned data centers around the world. Because Facebook owns or leases all the land surrounding these data centers, it can monitor the physical integrity of the area and ensure the secure destruction of electronic media containing data after use.
AI: Workplace benefits from Facebook's leadership in AI research. AI makes Workplace “more meaningful" by using machine learning to sort the most relevant information in the News Feed and make intelligent recommendations while 'downranking' less valuable information.
Safety Check for Workplace: In October 2018, Workplace announced the launch of Safety Check. Originally developed by Facebook engineers after the 2011 Japanese tsunami, Safety Check for Facebook is a way to let friends and family know you’re safe in a crisis, and check on others in the affected area. With Safety Check for Workplace, organizations can identify employees who may be affected by a crisis, send multiple modes of notification, and monitor responses. Safety Check was the most-requested feature from Workplace customers and has been activated by Delta Air Lines (during Hurricane Florence and the Hokkaido earthquake).
Workplace has an aggregated rating of 4 stars from 1,379 reviews on G2, and an aggregated rating of 4 stars from 103 reviews on Gartner PeerInsights. It has been praised as a tool for internal communication and collaboration, but critics have noted that it lacks some project management functionality.
Workplace is used by over 30,000 organizations around the world. Organizations using Workplace include Starbucks, Walmart, Virgin Atlantic, Heineken, Royal Bank of Scotland, Campbell and Booking.com.
As of February 2019, there are 2 million paying users, but the total number of users, both paid and unpaid, hasn't been disclosed.
Workplace for Good
Workplace for Good was launched in June 2018 to provide a free version of Workplace Premium for registered non-profits and staff of educational institutions. Organizations using workplace for Good include WWF, Save the Children, UNICEF, United Way, Boy Scouts of America, Comic Relief, Australian Catholic University and Norwegian Refugee Council.
Workplace integrates with over 50 popular enterprise tools. The growing collection of integrations are designed to help users share, stay current, and simplify complicated internal processes.
At the F8 Conference in May 2018, Workplace announced the launch of the Integrations Directory for Workplace Premium customers. This includes integrations with popular SaaS tools like Jira Cloud by Atlassian, Microsoft Sharepoint, ServiceNow, Adobe Sign, SurveyMonkey, Google Drive, Zoom and DropBox.
Workplace works with a large number of service partners across the globe. These partners help Workplace customers with many elements of their Workplace deployment, including planning, use cases, roll out, change management, training and custom integrations.
- Alba, Davey (Jan 14, 2015). "'Facebook at Work' Launches So You Can Never Not Be on Facebook". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019 – via www.wired.com.
- "RBS becomes first bank in the world to launch Facebook At Work". www.rbs.com. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace by Facebook on the future of yours". Brunswick. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace News Feed". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace Groups Feature for Team Collaboration". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace Chat". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace Live Video". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace Auto Translate Feature". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace Org Chart". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "How do I unlink my personal and work accounts? | Workplace Help Center | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Facebook Accelerates its Data Center Expansion". Mar 19, 2018. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- Levy, Steven (Feb 23, 2017). "Inside Facebook's AI Machine | Backchannel". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019 – via www.wired.com.
- Shead, Sam. "Facebook Plans To Double Size Of AI Research Unit By 2020". Forbes. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Workplace by Facebook Reviews 2019: Details, Pricing, & Features". G2. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Inc, Gartner. "Workplace by Facebook Enterprise IT Software Reviews | Gartner Peer Insights". Gartner. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace by Facebook". PCMag UK. Dec 12, 2017. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Our Agency Tried Workplace by Facebook and Here's How it Went". Approach Marketing. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Bringing Starbucks store managers together with Workplace". Apr 18, 2017. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Workplace, Facebook's enterprise edition, snaps up Walmart as a customer". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Virgin: A Workplace Case Study". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "How to launch Workplace well, and other tips from a tech deployment expert". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "RBS wins a digital innovation award thanks to Workplace". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Campbell: A Workplace Case Study". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Booking.com: A Workplace Case Study". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Facebook says that Workplace now has 2M paying users". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace is helping WWF develop a new, more open, transparent, and collaborative way of working; bringing offices and people from around the world together, giving them a voice and showcasing a diversity of ideas and perspectives which are critical to tackling the planet’s most urgent and important environmental challenges." – Kate Cooke, Head of Network Communications at WWF.
- [dead link]
- "Integrations for Workplace". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "16 Best Time Management Apps to Skyrocket Productivity in 2019". Biz 3.0. 2019-06-02. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "A world of experts available across international regions". Workplace by Facebook. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.