Workplace from Facebook
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Workplace – marketed as Workplace from Facebook and formerly Workplace by Facebook – is an online collaborative software developed by Facebook, Inc. It facilitates online groupwork, instant messaging, video conferencing, and news sharing.
Workplace was first announced on January 14, 2015. It launched in beta as Facebook at Work before officially launching in October 2016.[better source needed] Free accounts were discontinued in February 2021.
Workplace and Facebook
While Workplace accounts are set up and run separately from Facebook accounts, Workplace uses much of the underlying technology that powers Facebook.
Data Centers: Workplace data is stored across 12 Facebook-owned data centers.
AI: Workplace benefits from Facebook's AI research. Workplace uses machine learning to sort the most relevant information in the news feed and make intelligent recommendations while 'downranking' less valuable information.
Safety Check for Workplace: In October 2018, Workplace announced the launch of Safety Check. Originally developed by Facebook engineers after the 2011 Japanese tsunami, Safety Check for Facebook is a way to let friends and family know you’re safe in a crisis, and check on others in the affected area. With Safety Check for Workplace, organizations can identify employees who may be affected by a crisis, send multiple modes of notification, and monitor responses. Safety Check was the most-requested feature from Workplace customers and has been activated by Delta Air Lines (during Hurricane Florence and the Hokkaido earthquake).
Workplace has an aggregated rating of 4 stars from 1,379 reviews on G2, and an aggregated rating of 4 stars from 103 reviews on Gartner PeerInsights. It has been praised as a tool for internal communication and collaboration, but critics have noted that it lacks some project management functionality.
Workplace is used by over 30,000 organizations. As of March 2020, there are 5 million paying users, but the total number of users, both paid and unpaid, hasn't been disclosed.
Workplace for Good
Workplace for Good was launched in June 2018 to provide a free version of Workplace for registered non-profits and staff of educational institutions.
- Alba, Davey (Jan 14, 2015). "'Facebook at Work' Launches So You Can Never Not Be on Facebook". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019 – via www.wired.com.
- "RBS becomes first bank in the world to launch Facebook At Work". www.rbs.com. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "How do I unlink my personal and work accounts? | Workplace Help Center | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Facebook Accelerates its Data Center Expansion". Mar 19, 2018. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- Levy, Steven (Feb 23, 2017). "Inside Facebook's AI Machine | Backchannel". Retrieved Jul 25, 2019 – via www.wired.com.
- Shead, Sam. "Facebook Plans To Double Size Of AI Research Unit By 2020". Forbes. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "How using AI is making work more meaningful – Workplace Stories". 2018-12-18. Archived from the original on 2018-12-18. Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "Workplace by Facebook Reviews 2019: Details, Pricing, & Features". G2. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Inc, Gartner. "Workplace by Facebook Enterprise IT Software Reviews | Gartner Peer Insights". Gartner. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Workplace by Facebook". PCMag UK. Dec 12, 2017. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- "Our Agency Tried Workplace by Facebook and Here's How it Went". Approach Marketing. Retrieved Jul 25, 2019.
- Dignan, Larry. "Workplace by Facebook passes 5 million paid users, launches Workplace Rooms, video conferencing enhancements". ZDNet. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "16 Best Time Management Apps to Skyrocket Productivity in 2019". Biz 3.0. 2019-06-02. Retrieved 2019-07-30.