|Original author(s)||Nikita Bier, Erik Hazzard, Kyle Zaragoza, and Nicolas Ducdodon (Midnight Labs LLC)|
|Initial release||August 3, 2017|
|Size||77.7 MB (iOS)|
tbh was an anonymous social media app available in the United States, designed for high school students. The app was launched by Nikita Bier, Erik Hazzard, Kyle Zaragoza, and Nicolas Ducdodon in September 2017 Investors included Greylock Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Founders Fund, Semyon Dukach, Bee Partners, Dorm Room Fund, and American serial entrepreneur and investor Wayne Chang.
In October 2017, tbh was ranked #1 in the U.S. App Store and Facebook subsequently acquired the company for an estimated $100 million. tbh became one of the company's brands, alongside Facebook.com, WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger, and Oculus VR. However, On July 2, 2018, Facebook announced that tbh would be discontinued, due to low usage.
In August 2018, Buzzfeed News acquired a confidential memo in which the app's founders explained how they used Instagram to target teenagers at specific schools, playing to their curiosity and timing their messages to take advantage of the end of the school day.
- Calfas, Jennifer (17 September 2017). "5 Things to Know About 'tbh,' a New Anonymity App Popular Among Teens". Money. Time Inc. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Facebook acquires anonymous teen compliment app tbh, will let it run". TechCrunch. 16 October 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- Constine, Josh (22 September 2017). "How tbh hit #1 by turning anonymity positive". TechCrunch. Oath (company). Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Ashley O'Brien, Sara (16 October 2017). "Facebook acquires beloved teen app 'tbh'". CNNMoney. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "WhatsApp is now Facebook's second-biggest property, followed by Messenger and Instagram". recode.net.
- Fingas, Jon (2 July 2018). "Facebook shuts down tbh and other apps over 'low usage'". Engadget. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- Bridge, Mark (9 August 2018). "Messaging app 'trick' to target teenagers". The Times.
|This mobile software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|