|Developer||Oculus VR (device)|
|Type||Virtual reality headset|
|Release date||May 21, 2019|
|Introductory price||$399.99 USD|
|CPU||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Storage||64 GB, 128 GB|
|Display||OLED 1440 × 1600 per eye @ 72 Hz|
|Graphics||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Input||6DOF inside-out tracking through 4 built-in cameras|
|Controller input||Oculus Touch motion tracked controllers (redesigned)|
|Mass||1.25 lb (570 g)|
Oculus Quest is a virtual reality headset created by Oculus VR, a division of Facebook Inc. The device is fully standalone with two 6 DoF controllers, running on a mobile chip and is priced at US$399 for the 64GB version, and US$499 for the 128GB version. Two weeks after launch, Oculus announced that it had sold $5 million worth of content for Oculus Quest.
The following year at Oculus Connect 4, Oculus said that they are aiming at sending out developer kits in 2018. They also revealed the accompanying controllers which would be similar to Oculus Rift's touch controllers.
In 2018, Oculus revealed at Connect 5 that the system will be priced at a total of $399 and that it's called the Oculus Quest. At F8 2019 it was said that Quest will ship on May 21, 2019.
The Oculus Quest has a similar design to the Oculus Go, but features a better graphics chip and active cooling. The headset weighs 571g compared to the weight of the original Oculus Rift that weighed 470g. The battery life is reported to be around 2–3 hours.
Optical system: screen and lenses
Oculus Quest uses two diamond Pentile OLED displays, each with an individual resolution of 1440 × 1600 and a refresh rate of 72 Hz. The headset uses the "next generation" lens technology originally introduced in Oculus Go, which helps to increase the sweet spot of the lens. Visual artifacts such as god rays are, although less prominent, still visible in scenes with high contrasts. It does also feature physical IPD adjustment.
Oculus Quest features the same inside-out tracking system used in Rift S, named Oculus Insight. The system relies on the four wide-angled cameras located on each corner of the headset to track the headset spatially.
Redesigned Oculus Touch controllers
Software compatibility and Cross-play
Oculus launched the headset with over 50 titles consisting of a mix between new and previously known games. Among of which being Beat Saber, VRChat, Superhot VR, Moss and Robo Recall. Some games such as Rec Room and VRChat allow for cross-platform multiplayer.
Oculus Passthrough is a feature of Oculus Quest which allows the user to see the real world in black and white through the built-in cameras. This is primarily used as a safety feature; when a user exits their defined playing area, the display will fade from virtual reality to Passthrough.
- "Review: The Oculus Quest Is Virtual Reality's Best Bet Yet". Time. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Robo Recall on Oculus Quest is a noticeable downgrade from Rift". VentureBeat. 2019-03-31. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Oculus Quest Review: Facebook's VR Savior Mostly Keeps Its Promises". UploadVR. 2019-05-22. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Which Oculus Quest should you buy?". Android Central. 2019-04-30. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Oculus sold $5 million worth of Quest content in first 2 weeks on sale". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- "Hands-on With 'Santa Cruz' Inside Out Position Tracking Oculus Prototype". UploadVR. 2016-10-06. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Lang, Ben (2016-10-06). "Hands-on: Oculus' Wireless 'Santa Cruz' Prototype Makes Standalone Room-scale Tracking a Reality". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Brennan, Dominic (2017-10-12). "Oculus Connect 4 Day 1 Roundup: Oculus Go, Rift Price Drop, New 'Santa Cruz' Prototype, and More". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Robertson, Adi (2018-10-02). "5 big questions after VR's big week at Oculus Connect". The Verge. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Kuchera, Ben (2019-04-30). "The best part of Oculus Quest: It makes the hard stuff look easy". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Rogers, Sol. "Oculus Quest: The Best Standalone VR Headset". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Higham, Michael (2019-04-30). "New Oculus VR Headsets Coming In Spring For $400: Rift S And Quest Details". GameSpot. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Lang, Ben (2019-05-21). "Oculus Quest Review – The First Great Standalone VR Headset". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Lang, Ben (2018-09-27). "Oculus Quest Hands-on and Tech Details". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Gordon, Whitson (2019-05-21). "How to Set Up and Calibrate Your Oculus Quest VR Kit". IGN. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- devindra. "Oculus Quest review: VR freedom comes at a cost". Engadget. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Oculus Rift S Is Official: Higher Resolution, 5 Camera Inside-Out, $399". UploadVR. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2019-03-21.
- "Oculus Quest Accessories | Oculus". www.oculus.com. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Take your Oculus Quest anywhere in one of these cases". Android Central. 2019-05-26. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Wong, Raymond. "Oculus Quest review: A new milestone for VR". Mashable. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "The Oculus Quest Finally Sets VR Free". WIRED. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- "Here Are The 50+ Titles Launching For Oculus Quest On Day One". UploadVR. 2019-04-30. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Lang, Ben (2019-03-28). "Social VR Hits 'Rec Room' and 'VRChat' Coming to Oculus Quest". Road to VR. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Kuchera, Ben (2019-04-30). "The Oculus Quest is virtual reality's next big leap forward". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-06-02.