Location of Buckhorn, Kentucky
|Incorporated||January 12, 1996|
|• Type||City Commission|
|• Mayor||Pat Wooton|
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||755 ft (230 m)|
|• Density||289.4/sq mi (111.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0511025|
Buckhorn is a 6th-class city in Perry County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 144 at the 2000 census. It is centered on the Buckhorn Presbyterian Church, a log structure listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Buckhorn Children's Center and Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park are also located here.
Buckhorn is located at (37.345879, -83.471060).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all land.
|U.S. Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 144 people, 48 households, and 33 families residing in the city. The population density was 289.4 people per square mile (111.2/km²). There were 51 housing units at an average density of 102.5 per square mile (39.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.92% White and 2.08% African American.
There were 48 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 31.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 34.7% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 18.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 108.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,000, and the median income for a family was $51,250. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $33,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,742. There were 10.0% of families and 34.2% of the population living below the poverty line, including 5.9% of under eighteens and 55.6% of those over 64.
- Rennick, Robert M. Kentucky Place Names. The University Press of Kentucky (Lexington), 1988. ISBN 0-8131-0179-4.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State: Land Office. "Buckhorn". Accessed 14 Jul 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013 Population Estimates U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-05-29
- Historical Census Data Retrieved on 2010-12-18
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.