Call to prayer
Call to prayer may refer to:
- Pentecostal newspaper, "A Call to Prayer" editor, Rev. Sam C. Perry or Samuel Clement Perry was born on April 4, 1875. His higher calling led him to Pentecostal Tabernacle in Miami, Florida and he published the magazine, A Call to Prayer (on newsprint) from 1930 until his death when his son, Samuel Clement Perry, Jr. took up the printing at The Sea Island Print Shop in Beaufort, SC. His daughter still has a prayer-group and online publication by that name.
- Examples of early publications are The Bridegrooms Messenger, The Apostolic Faith, The Way of Faith, The Pentecostal Holiness Advocate.
2 A.J. Tomlinson, General Assembly Minutes 1906-1914, ed. Henry O’Neal (Cleveland, TN: White Wing Publishing House, 1992), 9. 3 Sam C. Perry, “A Tender Heart,” The Church of God Evangel, February 27, 1915, 3. 4 Ibid. 3. 5 Daniel Woods, “Sam Perry and Victorious Pentecostal Prayer,” Prospectus for Church of God History & Heritage, March 3, 1999, 1. 6 Charles W. Conn, Like A Mighty Army, def. ed. (Cleveland, TN: Pathway Press, 1996) 114-115. 7 Louis F. Morgan, “Sam C. Perry, Early Reformationist in the Church of God,” “Sam C. Perry” Information file, Hal Bernard Dixon, Jr. Pentecostal Research Center, Lee University, Cleveland, TN, n.d., 1. 8 Conn, Like A Mighty Army, def. ed., 124. 9 F.M. Britton, “Pentecostal Work in Florida,” The Bridegrooms Messenger, October 1, 1907, Volume 1 Number 2, 4. 10 Mattie Perry, “Good Tidings From Marion, NC,” The Bridegrooms Messenger, December 15, 1907, Volume 1 Number 4,1. 11 Sam C. Perry, “Sam C. Perry in Cuba,” The Evening Light and Church of God Evangel, April 15, 1910, Volume 1 Number 4, 4. The Cuba trip was reported in a later edition of The Evangel as Perry reported the conversion of a missionary received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and expressed his love for national friends and a desire to return to Cuba. 12 Op.Cit., Conn, 136-137. 13 A.J. Tomlinson, Church of God Evangel, Volume 10 Number 26 (1919), 2. See Sam C. Perry file at Hal Bernard Dixon, Jr. Pentecostal Research Center, Lee University, Cleveland, TN for the letter of charges by the Council against Sam C. Perry and ‘Before A.J. Tomlinson and The Elder’s Council by Sam C. Perry for further understanding of this event. The latter pamphlet was discovered by Dr. Dan Woods in the attic of George Floyd Taylor’s house in Falcon, North Carolina. 14 Sam Perry letter, Sam C. Perry file at Hal Bernard Dixon, Jr. Pentecostal Research Center, Lee University, Cleveland, TN, dated January 8, 1940. 15 Letter from Wayne Warner to David G. Roebuck, October 23, 1997, “Sam C. Perry” Information file, Hal Bernard Dixon, Jr. Pentecostal Research Center, Lee University, Cleveland, TN (photocopied). Taken from Louis F. Morgan paper.
- Adhan, the Muslim call to prayer
- Church bells, the Christian call to prayer
- Shofar, the Jewish call to prayer
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.