||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (December 2008)|
A general view of Digne-les-Bains
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Serge Gloaguen|
|Area1||117.07 km2 (45.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (380/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||04070 / 04000|
|Elevation||524–1,731 m (1,719–5,679 ft)
(avg. 608 m or 1,995 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Digne-les-Bains (French: [diɲ le bɛ̃]) or simply and historically Digne (Occitan: Dinha (dei Banhs) in classical norm or Digno in Mistralian norm) is a commune of France, capital of the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department.
On March 24, 2015, Germanwings Flight 9525, carrying 150 people (including six crewmembers), crashed near the city while en route from Barcelona to Düsseldorf. The plane began to rapidly descend from cruising altitude approximately 45 minutes after takeoff, crashing this plane with no survivors.
The Bléone flows southwest through the middle of the commune and crosses the town; it forms part of the commune's northeastern and southwestern borders.
Victor Hugo's novel Les Misérables begins in Digne. It is here that the protagonist, ex-convict Jean Valjean, is inspired by a kindly bishop to turn his life around. The asteroid 10088 Digne was named after the town by its discoverer, Belgian astronomer Eric Walter Elst.
Digne is twinned with:
- Alain Boghossian, French Footballer, part of the French national side that won the FIFA World Cup 1998
- Pierre Gassendi, French philosopher, scientist, astronomer
- Alexandra David-Néel, French explorer, spiritualist, writer
- Alphonse Beau de Rochas, French engineer
- Tristan Louis, French writer and entrepreneur
- William Reymond, French writer and journalist
- Chemins de Fer de Provence
- Route Napoléon
- Diocese of Digne
- Communes of the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department
- List of works by Louis Botinelly
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Digne-les-Bains.|
- City council website (French)
- Tourist office website (French)
- Ville de Digne-les-Bains (French)
- Map and Information
|This Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|