Fall River County, South Dakota
|Fall River County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 3, 1883|
|Largest city||Hot Springs|
|• Total||1,749 sq mi (4,530 km2)|
|• Land||1,740 sq mi (4,506 km2)|
|• Water||9 sq mi (24 km2), 0.53%|
|• Density||4/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
- Custer County, South Dakota - north
- Shannon County, South Dakota - east
- Dawes County, Nebraska - southeast
- Sioux County, Nebraska - south
- Niobrara County, Wyoming - west
National protected areas
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,453 people, 3,127 households, and 1,976 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 3,812 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.51% White, 0.32% Black or African American, 6.05% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 2.54% from two or more races. 1.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 33.6% were of German, 12.1% English, 9.5% Norwegian and 7.0% Irish ancestry according to the 2000 census.
There were 3,127 households out of which 23.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.90% were married couples living together, 8.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.80% were non-families. 32.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the county, the population was spread out with 22.80% under the age of 18, 5.80% from 18 to 24, 20.60% from 25 to 44, 28.30% from 45 to 64, and 22.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 109.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,631, and the median income for a family was $37,827. Males had a median income of $30,646 versus $20,017 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,048. About 7.80% of families and 13.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.90% of those under age 18 and 9.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Edgemont (Population:774)
- Hot Springs (Population:3,711)
- Oelrichs (Population:126)
- Rumford - unincorporated community
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 123.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Fall River County Courthouse Official Website
- Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Hot Springs City Hall
- Edgemont City Hall
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fall River County, South Dakota.|
|Niobrara County, Wyoming||Shannon County|
|Sioux County, Nebraska||Dawes County, Nebraska|